Irrational hatreds

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Cubic wrote:
    Boring internet forum pedants bug me.
    I agree with Stephen Fry's opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

He puts his case very well, but I don't agree entirely with the idea we should just accept all transgressions. "Verbing" a noun is one thing, "should of" in place of "should have" is quite another, I reckon.

Good video though; I'm going to pass it on to my friends in Pedants Anonymous. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • People who insist on taking increasingly oversized items of luggage on flights as 'carry on' rather than checking them in, then wreck everybody else's stuff/use up all the space by shoving their case aggressively into the overhead lockers.

People who overtake queued cars then cut in once the traffic starts flowing again (cars only, not cyclists obviously).

People who think the world owes them a living.

Peas.

Julia Roberts.
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    rjsterry wrote:
    Cubic wrote:
    Boring internet forum pedants bug me.
    I agree with Stephen Fry's opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

I take his and your point, although railing against people being show-off know-it-alls is a bit rich coming from him.

Irony, my dear chap, irony
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    edited November 2010
    I think it's a case of first you need to know the rules before you can learn when you can bend the rules. That's how Wilde and Fry can write/say things that aren't strictly correct, but still sound right, as opposed to just sounding clumsy.

An architectural analogy would be the buildings of Palladio, which look as though they elegantly follow a strict system of proportions, but a few hours with a tape measure will show that he cheated quite a lot. In contrast, buildings by lesser architects, who followed the strict proportional system espoused by Palladio to the letter, produced buildings which feel a little dead in comparison. Anyway, it's probably getting difficult to hear me clearly now as I'm disappearing up my own ar$e.

Oh, back on topic: upside down dropped handle bars. What is that about?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clowns.

I utterly, utterly get freaked out by clowns. I hate their painty-faced f*ck-wittery and bouncy trousered bastardness

Thw white-faced clown just does my crust; and I swear if I met one in real life I would probably end his with a blunt spoon and a can of petrol.

I. Just. Hate. Them.

One time, one came bouncing up to me while I had my (then) g/f's young niece with me. How the f*ck I didn't rip his lungs out and shove them up his arse, I'll never know, but said niece rescued me (and him) with the most ear-shattering scream I have ever heard. It was Biblical and this grease-paint, gap-toothed gimp turned tail and ran in the face of this awesome oral onslaught. I was so proud.

Clowns. Devilspawn in paint.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yer don't like clowns then Kieran? Is that what you're trying to say?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Woman's Hour. Bunch of self-satisfied lefties with the full approval of the pinkoes & commies that run the BBC get their own special hour, which is only 42 minutes once you take out the news, trails & the story that these poor girls have to read out loud to them.
  • The SCR thread... People telling other people how wonderfully smart, fit and brilliant they are. Total bag of...
  • rjsterry
    CiB wrote:
    Woman's Hour. Bunch of self-satisfied lefties with the full approval of the pinkoes & commies that run the BBC get their own special hour, which is only 42 minutes once you take out the news, trails & the story that these poor girls have to read out loud to them.

There's a clue in the title CiB :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• feltkuota wrote:
    The SCR thread... People telling other people how wonderfully smart, fit and brilliant they are. Total bag of...

what's SCR please?
    Specialized Allez 24
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    hatbeard wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    Beards.....Jake really dosen't get why I don't like them (he's sporting one at the moment) but I really can't stand them

:( what about hats?

being an owner of many hats I can cope with them. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Silly Commuter Racing
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Anono wrote:
    vinegar on fish and chips

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Quite.

I have him on ignore now. :wink:

Yeah, I'm considering it too! :shock:
  • Business Terminology:

"Four Eyes Principle" - Such a pants buzz word.

"Best Practice" As Dilbert once said, if everyone is doing ‘best practice’ is this then ‘mediocre practice’?
    Every winner has scars.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    HungryCol wrote:
    "Best Practice" As Dilbert once said, if everyone is doing ‘best practice’ is this then ‘mediocre practice’?

Not really no.

Best practice is the best way to do it. That doesn't mean that everyone per definition isn't doing it. For all we know, everyone is doing it the best way.

For example, it's best practice to cycle a standard step over bike by pedalling using your legs, rather than, say, your arms, or trying to move by pushing the rear wheel around with your hand. I'd suggest that everyone who rides a step-over bike on this forum rides it the same way. Thus, everyone is doing 'best practice'.
  • rjsterry
    HungryCol wrote:
    Business Terminology:

"Four Eyes Principle" - Such a pants buzz word.

I can't even begin to guess what that is supposed to mean.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Four eyes practice = Getting someone to check what you've done or two other people depending on how many eye's they have.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    feltkuota wrote:
    The SCR thread... People telling other people how wonderfully smart, fit and brilliant they are. Total bag of...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0
    feltkuota wrote:
    I've got a 911

Oh Stop It!

I've got one too - aren't we ace!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T,

Did I touch a nerve?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Porsche drivers...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    feltkuota wrote:
    Greg T,

Did I touch a nerve?

No, but you rather missed the point.
  • rjsterry
    feltkuota wrote:
    Four eyes practice = Getting someone to check what you've done or two other people depending on how many eye's they have.

Or you could just put some glasses on and give it a read through yourself.

And what, pray tell, is wrong with the word 'checking'? Or does 'getting someone to check that' not sound whizzy enough for the likes that use 'four eyes practice'
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:
    Four eyes practice = Getting someone to check what you've done or two other people depending on how many eye's they have.

And what, pray tell, is wrong with the word 'checking'? Or does 'getting someone to check that' not sound whizzy enough for the likes that use 'four eyes practice'

And what happens if the first person wears glasses?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    rjsterry wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:

It's regulatory as a rule, FSA say so.. important financial info etc etc. I've had to implement 6 eyes stuff too...yawn.

eg where something is paid into; if you were to edit this it'd need to be double checked for obvious reasons
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Could you get 4 people to look at it as long as they promised to keep one eye closed?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    so whatever happened to just calling it Proof Reading or have the managment idiots on the like of the Apprentice got hold of it and given it a poncy name just so they can sound good.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited November 2010
    Clowns yes
    Pedants yes
    Overtakers and cutter inners of queues - there is a word for these people: c*n*s
    Hating Vinagar on fish and chips - unghhhhh does not compute.

Tottenham Hotspur

Rolf Harris painting and panting

Johnny Morris on Animal Magic doing the stupid animal voices. I Know he's dead but Id happily dig him up and kick his corpse for the hatred I felt for AfM.

(Rational ones: Bono, Mick Hucknall, Chris Moyles)

Those above me that confuse curved glass in a frame for additional eyes. Do you call people in calipers 4 legs????

ACTION, as in can you Action that for me. No but I can do it you fukwit

Esther Rantzen
  • CiB wrote:

No.

I don't dislike Clowns.

Hitler disliked gays, gypsies and Communists.

I *hate* Clowns.

Given half a chance I would gather every clown in the World into one giant blender. I would then find out how much sh*t I would defecate in a lifetime; get that much sh*t together and pour it into the same blender, have one more particularly foul vegetarian dump, drop on the lid and switch the blender on; turning every one of those p*ssing paint-profiled prat-falling painfully pathetic putrid excuses for people into one giant clown / sh*t smoothie.

Does this help clarify the depth of my loathing for clowns?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    What would you do with the smoothie?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB wrote:

No.

I don't dislike Clowns.

Hitler disliked gays, gypsies and Communists.

I *hate* Clowns.

Given half a chance I would gather every clown in the World into one giant blender. I would then find out how much sh*t I would defecate in a lifetime; get that much sh*t together and pour it into the same blender, have one more particularly foul vegetarian dump, drop on the lid and switch the blender on; turning every one of those p*ssing paint-profiled prat-falling painfully pathetic putrid excuses for people into one giant clown / sh*t smoothie.

Does this help clarify the depth of my loathing for clowns?
    :lol::lol::lol: