Irrational hatreds

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Actually, can I add people who pull others up on relatively meaningless grammatical errors to my list? They come between nose-touching and people with big, foam heads.

teehee :oops:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57 wrote:
    diffuse the situation

This isn't an irrational hatred, but it's another one of my pet peeves.

What is?

Diffuse/defuse, at a guess.

I thought the saying was in reference to pressure?

Rather than a fuse...

Not so, defuse as in to render harmless/less tense.

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000273.htm

Sure, the accepted expression is ''defuse the situation'' but ''diffuse the situation'' also makes sense in most usages. So, in an accidental roundabout way, it's not actually wrong - it's just not the standardised version.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sure, the accepted expression is ''defuse the situation'' but ''diffuse the situation'' also makes sense in most usages.

Defuse the situation by diffusing the tension. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hybrids.
  • Actually, can I add people who pull others up on relatively meaningless grammatical errors to my list? They come between nose-touching and people with big, foam heads.

People who claim that grammatical errors are meaningless. :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    d(e)arth's
    hardest
    threads
    trashed

crosswords I can't complete (most of them).
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    TV programmes with title which is a play on the main characters name such as 'A Touch of Frost'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CiB wrote:
    Oh god, fog lights, they're another one. Oh, and made-up American words, like 'burglarized'. What's wrong with 'burgled'?
    You know what the Yanks say LiT. There's no noun that can't be verbed.

<off now>

:lol::lol::lol:
  • I've thought of another Americanism that I hate to irrational levels!

It's 'I could care less'.

No, Americans, no, what you mean is 'I couldn't care less'. 'I could care less' means 'I care really quite a bit', whereas what you tend to use it to mean is 'I don't care very much at all'.

You pillocks.
  • But shurely that's a rational hatred?

(I only say that because I was about to add "Using "like" as verbal punctuation, and as a do-it-all verb", and then realised that my hatred of that was wholly rational).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Carol Vorderman

Eastenders

Tomasz Schafernaker

Joggers with iPods
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    Journalism. To take the very first story I looked at it this evening from the good old bbc (irony btw).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11809457

Why use the word 'huge' - because it attracts readers, not because it is correct. And then they reproduce the stuff from a press pack - presumably - becase they say that
    For comparison, the largest commercial satellite ever launched was the seven-tonne Terrestar-1 telecoms spacecraft.

But they haven't mentioned the weight of the newly launched satellite.

Do journalists do anything other than cut and paste ? I thought the idea of journalism was to do all the investigation and analysis so that I don't have to.
  • I fecking hate commercial radio stations with a passion. At work I'm subjected to eight hours a day of mind-numbing Capital, Magic or Heart Radio depending on the choice of the cretin in the office who controls the tuner.

Please help me.

Do I:

A. Invest in a personal DAB/MP3 player (even though they're banned at my work) and reacquaint myself with a world of music and thought that doesn't revolve around the X-Factor.

or

B. Disembowel the w@nker controlling the radio?

Help!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'd go with 'B'

I used to work at Ministry of Sound and all day, all week, all year they would play banging techno and house in the offices from ministry of sound radio.

That is fine when you are clubbing, but when you are trying to speak to a supplier on the phone it really got on my nerves. I used to bring massive headphones in to listen to radio 4 online and do most of my business online! Good thing I worked in the internet department and could get away with not speaking to people.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    edited November 2010
    1. People who say "him and me". Its "He and I", dammit!

2. People who say "Scotch". We're people - not breadcrumbed eggs or whisky!

3. Supermarket trolleys. Why, oh why will they not go in a straight line?!

4. Your Mum jokes. Immature, people.

5. Labour. Except that's rational...
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    Pandas - I f*cking hate pandas

picky eaters they are!
  • That thing opera singers do with their voices that says ''I can drown out a perfectly decent orchestra.''

I love orchestral music and choral music, but I can't go to sleep listening to Radio 3 because at some point in the middle of the night someone's going to schedule some portamental warbleretta blasting out the aria from hell that will ruin my night's sleep.

Oh, and football teams with vertically-striped jerseys...or that wear blue.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    alitodd wrote:

That depends upon the context, surely. "He and I are going to work." "They gave them to him and me."
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    alitodd wrote:
    http://www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w026.html
    *walks away whistling nonchalantly*

Edit: what Agent57 said, innit
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cyclists. They weave all over the road, jump red lights and don't pay road tax. :wink:
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    one i developed about an hour ago reviewing documents.

People who insist that there should be 2 spaces after every full stop.
  • rjsterry
    mkirby wrote:
    one i developed about an hour ago reviewing documents.

People who insist that there should be 2 spaces after every full stop.
    A left over from when people used typewriters, when people were taught to leave a double space after full stops, I think. Word processing has made it unnecessary, but old habits die hard.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Sc00bs
    Sc00bs Posts: 27
    I always double space after a full stop. In fact I've just double-double spaced purely to annoy those who dislike it.

mwahahaa

edit* Curse you autocorrect software!
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    Albert Einstein
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Those small, overnight travel bags with wheels, the really small ones that have ridiculously long, triple telescopic handles and are the size of a shoe box.... why in the name of sweet jesus don't you just carry the bleeding thing, instead of letting the tiny wheels grate along, annoying the bejesus out of me.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    tx14 wrote:
    Pandas - I f*cking hate pandas

picky eaters they are!

Don't worry - they're an evolutionary dead end - never understood why the World Wildlife Fund picked an animal for their logo that was so obviously heading for extinction
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    There's a bloke who posts on Another Site, Who Capitalises Just About Every Word In Each Sentence And Then Randomly doesn't for Some Reason. Hard to read or what?

Today's:

People who plod along with a line of traffic behind, doing well below the speed limit. Safe? Probably. Annoying? Yep.

The BBC, for providing HD but interpreting HD as Higher Def, not High Def. It really isn't good enough, especially for an organisation that used to be the best, the industry leader.

Slugs. Did I already say slugs?

Undignified mastication. See also chewing gum.
  • rjsterry
    Those small, overnight travel bags with wheels, the really small ones that have ridiculously long, triple telescopic handles and are the size of a shoe box.... why in the name of sweet jesus don't you just carry the bleeding thing, instead of letting the tiny wheels grate along, annoying the bejesus out of me.....

Oooooooh, this! I've come this close <holds thumb and forefinger very close together> to hoofing one of those things across the floor after it had been dragged over my feet for the third time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Light phasing, particularly between Westferry DLR to up ramp to Westferry circus. No matter what speed I ride, if I'm caught at the first, the second will always turn red when I'm 3 yds away.

Not tucking shirts into trousers.

Hyping the ashes as an England victory, just setting up for an epic fall.
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Are there many rational hatreds? To actually *hate* something is very strong. I imagine Cambodians hated Pol Pot, so it would seem a bit spurious in comparison to rationally hate a spelling error.

99.9% of hatred must be irrational.

I strongly dislike Q1, the programme. I know it is good, but I don't like that smug intelligentsia feel it has and I have to turn it off.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Teenagers other than family members who are teenagers. Can't stand them, they take everything for granted and they think they know everything. And they're up to no good.

People who approach me in the street either to ask me for money or give a leaflet or something.

People who cough while they are sitting next to me.

Not being able to find the remote control.

Shop assistants in shops who ask me if I need any help. "NO! If I need help I'll ask for it!"

Never having a shop assistant near by when you need help.

Queues, I hate them. I hate people who don't queue just as much.

Computer games I cannot complete.

Wobbly bike riders.

Other peoples farts.

Tapas.

People who stare at me while I'm eating.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game