Commuting Forum Christmas Gathering 2010

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Thought now might be a good time to get a discussion up and running so we all have enough time to confuse ourselves with preferences for dates and venues.

The dates above are all Fridays. If you've chosen "Other", post your prefered date.

Morpeth again, or somewhere else?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited December 2010
    Right - the 10th is the outright winner...

This will be held in the upstairs room at the Morpeth Arms, (58 Millbank, Westminster, London, SW1P 4RW) from approximately 6pm until late. Food is generally served at around 8:30, and I'll be asking people to pay in advance for food this year.

So, a list! This is for food - tell me if you want to be added. If you don't want food, do feel free to just come along at any point in the evening!

1. lost_in_thought (Olivia)
    2. JonGinge - PM received, thanks!
    3. ITBoffin - paying on the night
    4. CJCP - PM received, thanks!
    5. MonkeyMonster - PM received, thanks!
    6. Hatbeard - PM received, thanks!
    7. BJUK - PM received, thanks!
    8. soundninjauk - PM received, thanks!
    9. JZed - PM received, thanks!
    10. dhope - PM received, thanks!
    11. notsoblue - removed from list
    12. Clever Pun - PM received, thanks!
    13. Stevo 666 - PM received, thanks!
    14. Oddjob62- PM received, thanks!
    15. Il Principe - PM received, thanks!
    16. Flyingbogey - Message received, thanks.
    17. _brun_ - PM received, thanks!
    18. Christophe3967- PM received, thanks!
    19. Christophe3967's +1- PM received, thanks!

Right!

I've ordered curry (2 curries, rice, naan) for 20 (now 17), currently there are 19 (now 17) on the list. In all honesty, if more want to come that will be no problem.

Any veggies, there is vegetarian curry as well, but please let me know if you require it as it won't be out with the buffet.

The cost is £10 a head, please PM me for bank details and send it over in advance, just because as mentioned last year I ended up out of pocket and would rather not do so again.

I've got them to agree to waive the charge for the room again, and while I wasn't able to get us any free wine, I have got us some free buck's fizz.

Hurrah!

• cjcp
    Cool. Aaaaaaand it's over to you, LiT! :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Heh heh, head lady is waiting to hear from us if memory serves.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Good timing, CJ. Been thinking about this for the last couple of days but didn't get around to posting. Morpeth and curry was spot on last year :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Heh heh, head lady is waiting to hear from us if memory serves.

Lisa... and she sure is.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Having never been to The Morpeth, what's the craic with bike parking down there?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Having never been to The Morpeth, what's the craic with bike parking down there?

There are lots of railings you can chain bikes to outside, and in previous years they've been happy for people to carry their bikes up to the private room we tend to book.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Plenty of space on the railings outside the pub. 30+ came to last year's do and a good majority cycled. IIRC, that is :oops:

Edit: scalped by Lit
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:

There are lots of railings you can chain bikes to outside, and in previous years they've been happy for people to carry their bikes up to the private room we tend to book.

Oh, wicked.

I tend not to carry a lock as I'm only going too and from work.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Oh, wicked.

I tend not to carry a lock as I'm only going too and from work.

Yep, no problem there! I have to say, if all 30+ attendees brought their bikes up it might be a little tricky, but most people tend to chain their bikes to the railings.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Come on the 10th...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Yes Morpeth is perfect LiT if they'll have us!

I could do any date in December but 10th seems about right - too early and it just isn't Christmas yet!
  • I demand that people maintain the current pleasingly symmetrical voting.
  • I can do both 3rd and 10th but picked 3rd, would swap it to the 10th to clean that up for you lit... :D
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I responding in protest, I feel like I have been neglected cos im not from your so called london

I posted a topic the other day trying to arrange a ride in bham this weekend, and it gets taken down with no explanation.

You try plan a pi$$ up and it stays

Its unfair*

*the whole comment is very tounge in cheek and im only joking
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    andy83 wrote:
    ... bham ...

There's your problem right there. Brum shouldn't be encouraged, there are children and vulnerable people who might take it seriously.
    I'm allowed to poke fun, I'm half Brummie on my mother's side.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Any date 'cept the 17th which is my birthday!
  • Any date 'cept the 17th which is my birthday!

You know the rules! Pick one! This is an enforced democracy... like Australia... ish.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    I voted 10th...assuming I can get there. Work seems to be taking me to 'enforced democracies' quite a bit these days....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It most likely comes as no surprise but I have no memory of last years event save a few blurry iPhone pics and some scuffed castelli overshoes.

Excellent!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    It most likely comes as no surprise but I have no memory of last years event save a few blurry iPhone pics and some scuffed castelli overshoes.

Excellent!!

I discovered that you are an excellent if rather over enthusiastic kisser. #stilltraumatised #passthemindbleach
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    andy83 wrote:
    I responding in protest, I feel like I have been neglected cos im not from your so called london

I posted a topic the other day trying to arrange a ride in bham this weekend, and it gets taken down with no explanation.

Its unfair*

We should arrange a brum one, no need to book anywhere, swift pint at lunch for the few of us should do the trick.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I voted 10th...assuming I can get there. Work seems to be taking me to 'enforced democracies' quite a bit these days....

Tell us more!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    prawny wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

Its unfair*

We should arrange a brum one, no need to book anywhere, swift pint at lunch for the few of us should do the trick.

Im up for that

actually had my first drink today in over 9 years so i got the taste back (it was a non alcoholic becks but tasted just like beer and is a start)
    dhope
    Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:04 pm Post subject:
    andy83 wrote:
    ... bham ...

There's your problem right there. Brum shouldn't be encouraged, there are children and vulnerable people who might take it seriously.
    I'm allowed to poke fun, I'm half Brummie on my mother's side.

Its not actually that bad, and lots of nice options for rides, to malvern, shrews etc

why would you admit to being half brummie though?? surely you should conveniently forget that half and be full whatever you are, unfortunately im full brummie lol
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    cjcp wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tell us more!
    It's a long story, but...the group I work for is buying a company down in Oz, it's quite a big deal and there's a fair bit of work sorting out the financing and tax stuff. Me being a finance/tax anorak type, I have to go down there to make sure it all happens - probably several times. I went down last month for a few days and am due to go again early next month for a bit longer.

Unfortunately it doesn't coincide with the cricket or the F1 but stuff it, the weather was nice enough in September:
    IMG00174-20100915-0732.jpg
    and its only going to get better so may get to spend a weekend down on the beach 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Excellent!!

I discovered that you are an excellent if rather over enthusiastic kisser. #stilltraumatised #passthemindbleach

Oh that's true, I'd forgotten about that. I think I exchanged lip gloss with ITB at 1 point.... I quite enjoyed it. Christmas kiss again this year ITB?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I've voted for the 10th.

Am surprised IP wouldn't want to spend his birthday with us :twisted: :P
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Excellent!!

Oh that's true, I'd forgotten about that. I think I exchanged lip gloss with ITB at 1 point.... I quite enjoyed it. Christmas kiss again this year ITB?

Wouldn't be Christmas without a little mistle-tongue now would it. easy on the rohypnol shots this year though :shock:

:lol:

Jingle bells
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited October 2010
    itboffin wrote:
    scuffed castelli overshoes.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • itboffin wrote:
    scuffed castelli overshoes.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Yeah but the crash that caused it was hilarious :D