Lets have, why do people hate the public sector?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Has anyone considered Godzooky?

Son of Godzilla...

godzuki and Godzilla would have to be tag teamed together so zuki can get his @ss handed to him and only just manages to tag zilla who opens a can of whoopass of everyone until the ref gets knocked out and someone starts bringing in nukes or mothra interferes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Actually Godzilla is at home in the water and on land... if he fought each of them

We're missing a trick here.

TAG TEAM ACTION

Jaws & Kong V Godzilla & Superman

Obv Jaws and Kong will need to set aside their differences.

Oooooh interesting... I have to say, I think that's unfairly weighted in favour of Godzilla and Superman, not least because if Godzilla started losing Superman could just turn back time...

Marty McFly (and no one calls him chicken, remember?). Mighty Kong and Jaws would have to squish a bit to get into the De Lorean though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Oooooh interesting... I have to say, I think that's unfairly weighted in favour of Godzilla and Superman, not least because if Godzilla started losing Superman could just turn back time...

Thus we have gone full circle and back onto my original off topic point.

I'm sorry but no, Superman cannot turn back time. Movie continuity does not apply to the actual character. Superman doesn't have time travel capabilities and flying around the Earth in the opposite direction to its natural rotation wouldn't turn back time, that was just silly and beyond the realms of suspending belief. It's even more silly than Superboy Prime punching the walls of reality and changing it.

You see this is my problem with deus ex machina characters.

Supes has gone up against a few Gorilla's (I'd include Ultrahumanite in that as well, though technically not a Gorilla) though, albeit superintelligent, and does find it hard to battle them I have to say.

Still the match up isn't fair, both Supes and Godzilla have ranged attacks and with those its not much of a conquest unless Kong and Jaws can 'take it to the mat' MMA style or Kong throws Jaws at em ala Wolverine fast special* (which would be so freaking cool)

Personally I think Batman with prep time would beat them all.

*Fastball special:

101113-48969-fastball-special.jpg
    wolverine91.jpg

Also one Predator doesn't always beat one Alien.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also one Predator doesn't always beat one Alien.

so you're saying this isn't actually true
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Only thing better than Godzilla is Alien.

jeez it's like shooting duck in a barrel with you. Call yourself a subject matter expect... pffft
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I am appalled - no one is even considering poor little Godzooky without his dad.....
  • Clever Pun
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I am appalled - no one is even considering poor little Godzooky without his dad.....

just like no one considers the family of henchmen.... except Austin Powers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gtvlusso wrote:

I don't consider Godzooky at all.

Stupid and unnecessary character. Another Scrappy Doo
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm sorry but no, Superman cannot turn back time.

Hang on a minute....

You're debating the possibility of superman's reversal of the rotation of the earth turning back time, and saying he can't do it 'cause it's not possible, while conveniently ignoring the fact that in this work of fiction he's also able to fly, perform superhuman feats and is completely incapacitated by a fictional rock, able to survive in space and from a different planet?

Tad selective, isn't it?
  • gtvlusso wrote:

God I hate scrappy-doo. :x
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

I am just saying - he may have to live on without a family.....like scrappy doo would do if Scooby copped it.
  • gtvlusso
    Godzooky.jpg

Poor harmless little thing....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hang on a minute....

You're debating the possibility of superman's reversal of the rotation of the earth turning back time, and saying he can't do it 'cause it's not possible, while conveniently ignoring the fact that in this work of fiction he's also able to fly, perform superhuman feats and is completely incapacitated by a fictional rock, able to survive in space and from a different planet?

Tad selective, isn't it?

Yes, there is a degree of suspension of belief but that suspension still has to based losely around some sense of realism for belief to be suspended in the first place. if Superman reversed time, why wasn't he in there in the past, what about the rest of the Universe? Also the feat needs to be consistent with past portrayals of the character, Superman doesn't do time travel.

Lastly but most importantly the movies are incontinuity so they don't count. I don't make the comic character rules I just live by them.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    gtvlusso wrote:

God I hate scrappy-doo. :x

I haven't a scooby what you guys are on about.

-Spider-
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hang on a minute....

Tad selective, isn't it?

Yes, there is a degree of suspension of belief but that suspension still has to based losely around some sense of realism for belief to be suspended in the first place. if Superman reversed time, why wasn't he in there in the past, what about the rest of the Universe? Also the feat needs to be consistent with past portrayals of the character, Superman doesn't do time travel.

Lastly but most importantly the movies are incontinuity so they don't count. I don't make the comic character rules I just live by them.

He has a point. You have to have rules.

I mean, I bet you had a dolly or somesuch as a child that you pretended spoke to you.

If someone had said to you "Your dolly can speak Hungarian", you'd've said "Don't be silly. My dolly can't speak Hungarian. It only knows English".

Rules, see. Rules.

Or you might just have started hitting them, a la Lisbeth Salander. I could see that, very easily.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    I meant to say that the movies are out of continuity when discussing comic characters.
    Food Chain number = 4

• However, the public sector in any economy generates no income. It uses income. Which has to be generated by others.

Is there anything stopping UK public sector organisations offering their services abroad? For example the NHS could possbily help US healthcare operators in cost control measures.

Or how about the Royal Navy / British Army becoming armed forces for hire to international despots? :)

On a more realistic level, EDF a majority French state owned company generate income abroad in places like the UK don't they?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Rolf F wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:
    Actually having dealt with a lot of C-level public sector people they don't have the same level of business skills as the same private sector rank. They've often come from mediocre ranks of private companies and escaped to the PS, or they've risen through the PS, or perhaps moved around pseudo PS-type organisations. They usually can't cut in in the private sector. The ones that are good leave the PS fairly quickly once they realise the culture.

Yes, and I've dealt with plenty of private sector people who will dump any crappily researched piece of junk on your desk and think they can charge 20 grand for it. Probably they couldn't cut it in the public sector. Except that that is bull. As are your comments above. There is crap in any organisation, public or private. Similarly, there is also good. Just as there are very efficiently run public sector organisations, there are very badly run private sector organisations (eg much of what the great City does). Sweeping meaningless generalisations might be acceptable in the private sector these days though........

Just to confirm that the consultant delivered the report to the spec he was given, to the price he was given and to answer the question that he was given. In other words he met the contract that the PS person signed off, and now it's his fault that you aren't happy.

Milord, I present exhibit A - the PS mindset in a nutshell.
  • Sorry, but if the last two posters want a discussion on public and private sector issues could they please start one and stop taking this thread OFF topic

Thank you
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    whats all the scrappy doo hating? I bet you lot hate the ewoks too.

:shock:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ewoks should be burned
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Bearing in mind that all the comic fantasists can only be a maximum of 12 years old, I must admit the quality of typing and literacy is impressive.

The public school system is at least working.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    gtvlusso wrote:

+10^infinity.

Scrappy Doo is an abomination
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    My partner worked for an organisation running training courses for a particular project. This involved booking rooms, organising printing, etc and so she talked directly to suppliers, negotiated on price, took advantage of special offers. She was then included on another project doing effectively the same thing. On this second one, she discovered that she had to use internal departments (conferences and publications) to do the same tasks. These jobs were then sent to "preffered" suppliers that they had exclusive contracts on. The prices on these suppliers turned out to be significantly higher than the rates that she knew she could achieve dealing directly, usually just their published standard rates. On top of this, the internal departments charged a service fee of up to 30% on top, just for making the bookings which mostly involved forwarding the e-mail she had sent to them.

That's the kind of stuff that needs to be scrapped in "efficiency savings".
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • DonDaddyD
    ewoks should be burned

remind you too much of yourself?

OOoooo low blow.
    Food Chain number = 4

• W1 wrote:
    Bearing in mind that all the comic fantasists can only be a maximum of 12 years old, I must admit the quality of typing and literacy is impressive.

Hmmm. "Quality of literacy"? Don't think so. "Quality of literacy" is usually used where "literacy" is used as an adjective, eg "the quality of literacy education in schools has declined".

I think "the quality of typing and level of literacy are impressive" is what you were after. Or even "the quality of typing and levels of literacy are impressive".

And I suspect you meant "must" rather than "can" in the first sentence. Although a better construction would have been "Bearing in mind that no comic fantasist is older than 12,...".

Not bad though, for a first draft. :P

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Greg66 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Hmmm. "Quality of literacy"? Don't think so. "Quality of literacy" is usually used where "literacy" is used as an adjective, eg "the quality of literacy education in schools has declined".

I think "the quality of typing and level of literacy are impressive" is what you were after. Or even "the quality of typing and levels of literacy are impressive".

And I suspect you meant "must" rather than "can" in the first sentence.

Not bad though, for a first draft. :P

Thanks, but that's a perfectly valid sentence. At worst I (sorry, my secretary) missed two commas.

You suspect wrong!

But top bombing.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    lardboy wrote:
    My partner worked for an organisation running training courses for a particular project. This involved booking rooms, organising printing, etc and so she talked directly to suppliers, negotiated on price, took advantage of special offers. She was then included on another project doing effectively the same thing. On this second one, she discovered that she had to use internal departments (conferences and publications) to do the same tasks. These jobs were then sent to "preffered" suppliers that they had exclusive contracts on. The prices on these suppliers turned out to be significantly higher than the rates that she knew she could achieve dealing directly, usually just their published standard rates. On top of this, the internal departments charged a service fee of up to 30% on top, just for making the bookings which mostly involved forwarding the e-mail she had sent to them.

That's the kind of stuff that needs to be scrapped in "efficiency savings".

Sounds about right!! My brother in law is a dentist in the NHS – he was actually brought into a new PCT to help clear patient backlogs & resolve various issues. Kind of a troubleshooter if you will. He found himself in exactly this situation, where there’s “preferred suppliers” who then naturally inflate prices by anything up to 40% over market rate because they can. That’s the problem with the public sector – so many rules, regulations, admin procedures etc that get in the way of just getting the job done. I genuinely reckon that by putting someone from the private sector in charge of each stream of the public sector (with sector related advisors), they’d be able to make the right kind of improvements. Granted they wouldn’t be popular among the workers because they would have to break their institutionalised chain of thought and actually use their brains rather than relying on endless lists of procedures, but then maybe a performance based assessment (just like in the private sector) could be brought in, i.e. do well at your job and work hard, get promoted/paid more. Underperform/do badly/display bad attitude, get sacked. Simple really. Weed out the dead wood.
  • I miss Always Tyred

He would have loved this thread.
  • DonDaddyD
    I think he is still on the site under another username....
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think he is still on the site under another username....

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

**MODERATOR ALERT! !**MODERATOR ALERT!!**

Some secret agent you'd make.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A