Lets have, why do people hate the public sector?

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:
    Jaws' helmet would neutralise his greatest attacking weapon though...

Idiot.

The greatest limiting factor will be the volume of water neccessary to circulate through jaws's gills. The size of the storage and mechanism to circulate that volume of water will be huge. Sure you can re-oxygenate it but still Jaws in space will have a big disadvantage - hey I'm all in favour of this Kong can fight - all be it at a disadvantage in water, Jaws is a Cartilaginous Fish out of water anywhere but his natural environment and I shit him.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Lit, do you really honestly think I am at work? In my new job with a more important position on the Internet?

Hell, I've been in so-called important positions for years, getting more important every time and have never struggled to post on bikeradar! You haven't seemed to have any problems so far in your new job either, apart from a brief hiatus when you started.

Maybe you've been fired.
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Jaws' helmet would neutralise his greatest attacking weapon though...

Idiot.

The greatest limiting factor will be the volume of water neccessary to circulate through jaws's gills. The size of the storage and mechanism to circulate that volume of water will be huge. Sure you can re-oxygenate it but still Jaws in space will have a big disadvantage - hey I'm all in favour of this Kong can fight - all be it at a disadvantage in water, Jaws is a Cartilaginous Fish out of water anywhere but his natural environment and I shoot him.

He has a point, other greg

But the amount of water and the necessary pressurised container would mean Jaws is essentailly armour-clad, while Kong could survive in an ordinary space suit. While Jaws' attacking methods are hampered, he's also basically invulnerable. I don't think we shuold let Kong win by breaking through Jaws' armour either, 'cause that'd be basically a win on a technicality.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Lit, do you really honestly think I am at work? In my new job with a more important position on the Internet?

Hell, I've been in so-called important positions for years, getting more important every time and have never struggled to post on bikeradar! You haven't seemed to have any problems so far in your new job either, apart from a brief hiatus when you started.

Maybe you've been fired.

+1 We've seen you post this much before when working in the past too. Anyway - Jaws could have a shark sized breather kit from The Abyss with external tanks that don't get in the way of the teeth themselves...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I vote left, and am very much in favour of public services. On the other hand, I work as an OD consultant in mostly public sector organisations (council, regulatory bodies, etc), and the amount of whinging, fear or refusal to do anything about what isn't working, blaming everybody else and so on is staggering. It's like wading through treacle. I have people tell me "We're so overworked, nobody realises the pressure we're under. I can't go on working 41, 42 hours a week". I hear "Sometimes he's here until 6 or even 7 in the evening. He needs to get his work/life balance under control", I hear complaints about how little they earn compared to the private sector, which are just factually wrong before you even start factoring in pensions and holidays and other benefits.

The thing which gets me the worst, though, is the refusal to do anything about anything. People will complain all day about how bad things are, but they've got every excuse under the sun not to try to change it. In summary, more than half the public sector workers I meet don't know they're born, and it's tiring.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Stuff the Kong vs Sharks....

LiT vs DDD

Thats where the keen money is....
  • Heehee DDD just deleted his post that simply said 'Harsh'

I can only begin to imagine the essay he's currently writing.
  • gtvlusso wrote:

LiT vs DDD

Nah. It's waaaaay too obvious who'd win.

:twisted:
  • gtvlusso wrote:

LiT vs DDD

That wouldn't be a fight, more a small noise as LiT wins and DDD enters the negative realm.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I vote left, and am very much in favour of public services. On the other hand, I work as an OD consultant in mostly public sector organisations (council, regulatory bodies, etc), and the amount of whinging, fear or refusal to do anything about what isn't working, blaming everybody else and so on is staggering. It's like wading through treacle. I have people tell me "We're so overworked, nobody realises the pressure we're under. I can't go on working 41, 42 hours a week". I hear "Sometimes he's here until 6 or even 7 in the evening. He needs to get his work/life balance under control", I hear complaints about how little they earn compared to the private sector, which are just factually wrong before you even start factoring in pensions and holidays and other benefits.

The thing which gets me the worst, though, is the refusal to do anything about anything. People will complain all day about how bad things are, but they've got every excuse under the sun not to try to change it. In summary, more than half the public sector workers I meet don't know they're born, and it's tiring.

Sounds familiar. I once contracted to help with six sigma implementation within a local authority. I've never known anywhere that whinges so much about percieved problems and yet is so resistant to change.

Never again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Greg T

But the amount of water and the necessary pressurised container would mean Jaws is essentailly armour-clad, while Kong could survive in an ordinary space suit. While Jaws' attacking methods are hampered, he's also basically invulnerable. I don't think we shuold let Kong win by breaking through Jaws' armour either, 'cause that'd be basically a win on a technicality.

Space suits are effectively mimi space ships and have to be armour clad anyway.....

Anything that's designed to maintain integrity with an atmosphere of pressure pushing against a vacuum has got be pretty tough......

You are also missing the obvious...

We've been blasting chimps into space for years - they've got form.

No-one said - "hey we need to send something alive into space - how cool is that? I KNOW A SHARK - it's perfect."

No - they have a brain the size of a walnut, breathe water and don't have hands. Their one advantage is they don't fling their own waste at their trainers.

To my knowledge a shark has not made it into orbit - for good reason...

Sharks are one trick ponies - massive kiiler apes are apex predators in space - fact

• Greg T wrote:

Space suits are effectively mimi space ships and have to be armour clad anyway.....

Anything that's designed to maintain integrity with an atmosphere of pressure pushing against a vacuum has got be pretty tough......

You are also missing the obvious...

We've been blasting chimps into space for years - they've got form.

No-one said - "hey we need to send something alive into space - how cool is that? I KNOW A SHARK - it's perfect."

No - they have a brain the size of a walnut, breathe water and don't have hands. Their one advantage is they don't fling their own waste at their trainers.

To my knowledge a shark has not made it into orbit - for good reason...

Sharks are one trick ponies - massive kiiler apes are apex predators in space - fact

Another valid point, Greggles, you've clearly put some serious thought into this! Remind me - public sector or private? :P
  • Greg T
    Jaws could have a shark sized breather kit from The Abyss with external tanks that don't get in the way of the teeth themselves...

Are you mental?

how can you expose a shark's teeth to the freezing vacuum of space without decompressing it?

You people need to up your game....

You would need to give jaws another weapon.....

Yes.....

it's in space

We need a laser beam

YES

Frickin sharks with Frickin laser beams

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    DDD should know know better than to expect a convivial discussion on the internet after leading people by asking why they "hate" something in the topic title.

Similarly, DDD should have learned by now that the best way to not get your head shot off is to not stick your neck out in the first place. But hey...

1945look_at_me_attention_whore_Holy_Awesomeness-s315x429-33471-580.jpg

I'm gonna get accused of 'personal attacks' now aren't I?
  • gtvlusso
    Asprilla wrote:
    I vote left, and am very much in favour of public services. On the other hand, I work as an OD consultant in mostly public sector organisations (council, regulatory bodies, etc), and the amount of whinging, fear or refusal to do anything about what isn't working, blaming everybody else and so on is staggering. It's like wading through treacle. I have people tell me "We're so overworked, nobody realises the pressure we're under. I can't go on working 41, 42 hours a week". I hear "Sometimes he's here until 6 or even 7 in the evening. He needs to get his work/life balance under control", I hear complaints about how little they earn compared to the private sector, which are just factually wrong before you even start factoring in pensions and holidays and other benefits.

Sounds familiar. I once contracted to help with six sigma implementation within a local authority. I've never known anywhere that whinges so much about percieved problems and yet is so resistant to change.

Never again.

+111111

I worked for the Emergency services (many different forces) on an IT and comms project for 3 years - They used PM's with no previous PM experience (ex ES officers - jobs for the boys as such) - resisted change/new concepts and did not have any concept of the technology they were buying or its capability - a right shambles that wasted money, time and was generally frustrating! To keep the budget every year that had to spend their entire budget - so, towards the end of the financial year my company would get orders for all sorts of un-necessary kit from them! Just so that the managers within the ES would not get a budget cut - ie. spend the entire budget to get the same again next year or an upgraded budget!

Vowed I would avoid any interaction with Public Sector projects again - shambolic and wasteful. However, this was one experience with one element of the Public Sector
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Asprilla wrote:

Never again.

Sounds familiar!! I went on a one day management course with a colleague recently at UWE (we went less for the course as to meet potential new clients and network) - we were the only private sector ones there and what struck me as amazing was how the PS guys were literally stunned that we just got on with things at work. We talked about change implementation, market shrinkage etc and how to manage staff through it etc. They were talking about committee meetings, workshops for staff etc etc. We let them know about this crazy concept of everyone just working harder for the same money to ensure the company's continued growth. That is what strikes me as the most fundamental difference - the mindset.
  • Greg T wrote:
    Jaws could have a shark sized breather kit from The Abyss with external tanks that don't get in the way of the teeth themselves...

Are you mental?

how can you expose a shark's teeth to the freezing vacuum of space without decompressing it?

You people need to up your game....

You would need to give jaws another weapon.....

Yes.....

it's in space

We need a laser beam

YES

Frickin sharks with Frickin laser beams

I just went further into the silly realm of a gel based suit for jaws that keeps his skin nice and moist too. Teeth could withstand vacuum for a bit while chomping :D. But to gather his arsenal together we've got a rocket powered, invulnerable space shark with frickin laser beams... Heh heh
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I am an attention whore.

LiT's would win. But then have you ever asked yourself why Powergirl has never lost a fight?
    powergirl.jpgPowergirl

In Space neither would be able to apply forward motion. Kong with more limbs however has more chance of grabbing hold of and moving behind Jaws, there he could just tear out his heart or something.

Jaws would be like a ship on land, kind of pointless anywhere accept in water.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I am an attention whore.

LiT's would win. But then have you ever asked yourself why Powergirl has never lost a fight?
    powergirl.jpgPowergirl

In Space neither would be able to apply forward motion. Kong with more limbs however has more chance of grabbing hold of and moving behind Jaws, there he could just tear out his heart or something.

Jaws would be like a ship on land, kind of pointless anywhere accept in water.

Why is that female superheroes favour the front-wedgie style of suit, I wonder. Oh well...

Back to the matter in hand. Forward motion is easily remedied: thruster packs.

Trouble is, the more stuff they get to compensate for the fact that they're in outer space, the less point there is in them being in outer space in the first place. We'll endup with them in the shallow end of the pool on a space station before long. With laser guns.

<Don King hairdo activated>

Maybe this needs to be a series - best of three, with each round at a different venue...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    <Don King hairdo activated>

Maybe this needs to be a series - best of three, with each round at a different venue...

One in water - Jaws

One on land - Kong

We need a nuetral medium.... Air

What about implanting their brains into "host" bodies - neither is a bird....

I'd suggest transplanting their brains into really big Eagles and see how things go from there.

• Firstly let's end this 'best of three' talk right here and now. They fight to the death or not at all.

The Space venue would be the cargo hold of a HUGE spaceship.

No gravity. No need for spacesuits or helmets

However moist air would be pumped in to the hold to enable the Shark to 'breath'

Winner to meet Godzilla in quicksand
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oh come on. Godzilla its not ever a contest, Godzilla is part dinosaur, part lizard and part dragon. If that like the three greatest animals (come monsters) all rolled into one giant bad ass fire breathing kickass machine.

Godzilla could take both Jaws and Kong at the same time.

Only thing better than Godzilla is Alien.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Yeah, spending money on unneccesary things to avoid budget cuts; check. Wanting to cry all the time about change instead of thinking "Well, if we work hard and make it work, perhaps we'll keep our jobs" check. There's no sense of connection between the work you do, the success of the organisation you work for, and you therefore continuing to have a job. And the hilarious ideas people have about the private sector; everyone there is completely money motivated (wah wah we don't get paid enough), they can all be paid bonuses directly on pound notes through the door (somehow, people don't realise that in private sector companies, it's just the same as in public sector, most people are internal service providers who don't directly touch the customer or earn money), everyone is paid tons of money (with the union representation that public sector workers have, they fair amazingly well). They assume that private sector companies award huge pay rises every year, and are often shocked to find that lots of private sector workers won't have had even a cost of living increase for 4 years, and are able to understand that that's because the money isn't there, and if they got it, the business would go under.

The worst part is all of this can continue because NOBODY IS EVER SACKED.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh come on. Godzilla its not ever a contest, Godzilla is part dinosaur, part lizard and part dragon. If that like the three greatest animals (come monsters) all rolled into one giant bad ass fire breathing kickass machine.

but one Predator will beat one alien...

Again you fail
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Woah, woah, woah, back up there Neddy.

When (TF) did a "lizard" get better than a great white shark, much less become one of the three greatest animals evaaah?

Lizards are things you find in the bidet in cheap Mediterranean hotels. They're for flushing, not fighting.

Godzilla on his best day would be pussy-whipped by either of Jaws or Mighty Kong, with man-flu.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Yeah, spending money on unneccesary things to avoid budget cuts; check. Wanting to cry all the time about change instead of thinking "Well, if we work hard and make it work, perhaps we'll keep our jobs" check. There's no sense of connection between the work you do, the success of the organisation you work for, and you therefore continuing to have a job. And the hilarious ideas people have about the private sector; everyone there is completely money motivated (wah wah we don't get paid enough), they can all be paid bonuses directly on pound notes through the door (somehow, people don't realise that in private sector companies, it's just the same as in public sector, most people are internal service providers who don't directly touch the customer or earn money), everyone is paid tons of money (with the union representation that public sector workers have, they fair amazingly well). They assume that private sector companies award huge pay rises every year, and are often shocked to find that lots of private sector workers won't have had even a cost of living increase for 4 years, and are able to understand that that's because the money isn't there, and if they got it, the business would go under.

The worst part is all of this can continue because NOBODY IS EVER SACKED.

Perfectly put on every count.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Actually Godzilla is at home in the water and on land... if he fought each of them that might be a way to tell the winner between kong and jaws... unless its one of those
    Water>fire
    fire>earth
    earth>water
    triangles
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Actually Godzilla is at home in the water and on land... if he fought each of them

We're missing a trick here.

TAG TEAM ACTION

Jaws & Kong V Godzilla & Superman

Obv Jaws and Kong will need to set aside their differences.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Actually Godzilla is at home in the water and on land... if he fought each of them

We're missing a trick here.

TAG TEAM ACTION

Jaws & Kong V Godzilla & Superman

Obv Jaws and Kong will need to set aside their differences.

Oooooh interesting... I have to say, I think that's unfairly weighted in favour of Godzilla and Superman, not least because if Godzilla started losing Superman could just turn back time...
  • gtvlusso
    Has anyone considered Godzooky?

Son of Godzilla...

If his dad gets killed - then he will be an Orphan.....poor thing.

making me quite emotional now :(