Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Valy wrote:
    So, wait - is it free? :O
    The spares are all free apart from the postage! :wink:
  • I'm so bummed that I bought the MK1 I still think they are great, and I did make a work around for the MK 1s dumping water and crud on your feet and front drive train, but the MK 2 really does fix their one shortcoming. And I did make a work around for the MK 1s dumping water and crud on your feet and front drive train.

If anyone has MK 1s and wants to reduce the water and crud that the back wheel throws on their feet and drive train I have fixed the problem with the creative use of a length of old inner tube. it's far from sexy but it is simple and has the added benefit of keeping the rear tire free of debris.

I haven't had any problem with it getting out of position, even in cross winds and moderately rough roads.

Of course I'm in Australia so what would I know about rain and mud?

If anyone is interested I'll make another post with a description.
  • ColinJ
    Skate987 wrote:
    I'm so bummed that I bought the MK1
    I reckon if you contact 'Mister Crud' he would send you the bits you need to upgrade to Mk2s for the cost of the postage.
  • I reckon you are correct about the Cruds sending the new bits for the cost of postage. But I made the bush mechanic fix before I found out about the MK2 and I don't know how much the postage would be to Oz. I'm going to contact them and find out though. Their solution is just a bit more elegant than mine.

Cheers.
  • Anyone tried Durano Plus 25c's with them?

running ULtremo 23c at hte moment
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Will these fit on a mtb (road use only, 25mm slick tires)?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    choufflard wrote:
    Will these fit on a mtb (road use only, 25mm slick tires)?

Thanks

No- wrong wheel size and need road brakes to mount them with...
  • Ok thanks. Might still get some for the road bike.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I like to think of myself as a fairly even-tempered bloke but I just got so frustrated trying to fit the front guard of a Mk2 to my bike without incurring horrendous tyre rub that I just ripped it in half in a mammoth attack of red mist...

There just HAS to be a more user-friendly product on the market - if not I'm going to invent one!!

At least the back seems to be just about OK, thanks to some judicious use of the Stanley knife, and that's all the cycling club boys will worry about!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    greeny12 wrote:
    I like to think of myself as a fairly even-tempered bloke but I just got so frustrated trying to fit the front guard of a Mk2 to my bike without incurring horrendous tyre rub that I just ripped it in half in a mammoth attack of red mist...

There just HAS to be a more user-friendly product on the market - if not I'm going to invent one!!

At least the back seems to be just about OK, thanks to some judicious use of the Stanley knife, and that's all the cycling club boys will worry about!

they are a bit fiddly to fit for sho. I think the best bet is to use "P-clips" which if I understand correctly let you use basically full mudguards even without the mountings?
  • ColinJ
    Valy wrote:
    they are a bit fiddly to fit for sho. I think the best bet is to use "P-clips" which if I understand correctly let you use basically full mudguards even without the mountings?
    If you can't squeeze the Roadracers in, there is no chance of getting something like SKS mudguards to fit!

PS

Actually, there is a bodge that you can do... This is how I got SKS guards to fit my Basso before I replaced them with RRs (cut the guards in half and attach using P-clips and brackets).

bodged_basso_002.jpg
  • My MK 2's went on ok and the back one is fine with no rubbing. Had the short end on the front one in front of the brakes but that drooped and was rubbing on the tyre (could not get the cable tie around the back of the brake block to nip up any more) so heated the plastic and re-moulded so was not so snug to the tyre. Should be job done.
  • ColinJ
    gingernash wrote:
    My MK 2's went on ok and the back one is fine with no rubbing. Had the short end on the front one in front of the brakes but that drooped and was rubbing on the tyre (could not get the cable tie around the back of the brake block to nip up any more) so heated the plastic and re-moulded so was not so snug to the tyre. Should be job done.
    Mr. Crud's instructions tell you NOT to do the tie up too tight! If you do, it increases the chance of the front rubbing.

Another thing you can do is to attach a length of black cotton to the front of the front part and tie it round the bolt which holds it on. Put it under enough tension to raise the front by a couple of mm and you should be okay.
  • ah well, melting it and remoulding has done the job nicely though. did not want to have any more bits and bobs pushing and pulling at the front.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I've now superglued the offending front guard back together and *might* try a re-fitting tonight...or I might try to create nuclear fusion instead, as it promises to be a slighly easier task...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    greeny12 wrote:
    I've now superglued the offending front guard back together and *might* try a re-fitting tonight...or I might try to create nuclear fusion instead, as it promises to be a slighly easier task...

It took me about 10 mins. No probs at all. :?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    greeny12 wrote:

Having fitted these to a few bikes now my experience is they either fit in which case its quite easy (though I'd echo what has been said many, many times about not doing up the cables ties too tightly) or they don't fit in which case there's nothing that can be done. I found them a tight fit on one bike and they rubbed initially, but loosening off the cable tie a tad did the trick.
    More problems but still living....
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    I received mine today as I finally got off my aris and bought some... dreading it.. I am such a girl when it comes to these things !
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    Well i managed them no problem at all ! Watched the video on the site...easy peasy!
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • Has anybody said "Just buy a flippin' bike that's designed to take mudguards in the first place"?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Has anybody said "Just buy a flippin' bike that's designed to take mudguards in the first place"?

And if you already have a bike that won't take full mudguards, don't want to buy another bike and would like to support a British company that's being innovative?
    More problems but still living....
  • ColinJ
    amaferanga wrote:
    And if you already have a bike that won't take full mudguards, don't want to buy another bike and would like to support a British company that's being innovative?
    Quite right - they are the best accessory that I've bought for my bike! I've lost track of how many people have bought Roadracers after seeing the pair on my bike.

crud-roadracer-mk2-fenders-mudguards-on-bike.jpg

I got asked about them so many times that I wrote a review and posted it on my blog and have now sold hundreds of pounds worth of them. They are really popular.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    Does anyone know if the extensions can be retro fitted to the mk1's?
    saves a lot of hassle if you can.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • ColinJ
    fret wrote:
    I'm not sure, but they look like they might.

I could have tried because I had the Mk 1s on my bike, but I just replaced them. I can't be bothered to dismantle the Mk 2s now to try fitting the new extension bits to the old Mk 1 main sections for you - sorry!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    mine went on fine and keep me clean, but twice now theyve got clogged up. admittedly the first time they'd done 4 rides before the rear wheel would barely turn, but i give my bike a full clean on sunday and the rear was clogged up with mud and slowing me down after 20miles tinight!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ColinJ
    gsk82 wrote:
    mine went on fine and keep me clean, but twice now theyve got clogged up. admittedly the first time they'd done 4 rides before the rear wheel would barely turn, but i give my bike a full clean on sunday and the rear was clogged up with mud and slowing me down after 20miles tinight!
    I had the same problem. It's inevitable really on bikes that have so little clearance that getting mudguards on at all is a bonus.

I've taken to riding through shallow puddles on mucky rides to stop the crud levels building up. That seems to be quite effective.

I also use a 5 litre garden spray on my bike when I get home (I don't have a hose handy but the portable sprayer option suits me very well).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    fret wrote:

I've got a mixture on my bike. Front is now back to a MK1 main section and stays with MK2 extensions, the rear is MK2 except for the long tail piece which is too long and flaps around too much for my liking.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    MK2 fitted all OK on my CAAD9. No modifications and no problems so far, but still not tried in heavyish rain, just a shower.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • MK2 fitted all OK on my CAAD9. No modifications and no problems so far, but still not tried in heavyish rain, just a shower.

Arguably they're better in the wet. In the damp grit tends to stick to the tyres more and bugger the clearance. Pure wet conditions wash the grit away.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    Ahhhh, seems they may fit.
    I'll send for a couple of extensions as I ride every day 9 miles to work
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String