Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I'll have a fiddle tonight if I get time, and post pics if need be.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Spent an hour faffing about last night trying to get them to fit properly, managed to get them to stop fouling the wheels, without cutting the rear guard, however, the difference between them fouling, and not, is minute, and I can imagine them moving after a bit of riding, can't do the zip-ties up on the rear guard tight enough to stop it being loose without deforming the rear guard and making it rub, judging by the reviews on Wiggle, I am not a lone Specialized owner who is having issues.....

But they are on, and I guess we'll see how long they last, TBH, I am not that hopefull, they are flimsy as, and I can see them getting broken fairly quickly!.

I am now in the market for an Audax bike so I don't have to use the Allez, and worry about mud guards, over the winter!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    danowat wrote:
    Spent an hour faffing about last night ... I am not a lone Specialized owner who is having issues.....

I have mk2s fitted on a Specialized Roubaix with 25mm tyres. They are fine and do not rub.

I am an "advanced level" mudguard user (see blog http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2010/06/1 ... kest-part/ ) and I found fitting the mk2s fiddly and time consuming

The clearance is extremely tight and there is quite a lot of road noise from leaves, bits of grit etc

They are good mudguards however. A bit flimsy, but well thought out
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Had my first crash yesterday with the Mk 2's on. I was impressed that the front mudguard-to-fork stay simply pulled out at the point where it screws to the mudguard rather than broke. I dunno if this was a design feature, but for something so flimsy looking to survive a crash intact was impressive. Keep up the good work Crud Boffins.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    danowat wrote:
    Spent an hour faffing about last night trying to get them to fit properly, managed to get them to stop fouling the wheels, without cutting the rear guard, however, the difference between them fouling, and not, is minute, and I can imagine them moving after a bit of riding, can't do the zip-ties up on the rear guard tight enough to stop it being loose without deforming the rear guard and making it rub, judging by the reviews on Wiggle, I am not a lone Specialized owner who is having issues.....

But they are on, and I guess we'll see how long they last, TBH, I am not that hopefull, they are flimsy as, and I can see them getting broken fairly quickly!.

I am now in the market for an Audax bike so I don't have to use the Allez, and worry about mud guards, over the winter!

I've had mine on for over 1000 miles and all it's needed is a quick shove to the back guard and it's been fine.

With regard to the front guard, the cable tie should be done loosely otherwise the front tip is forced down on to the tyre.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    These are the next things I am buying before the weather really sets in, I was lucky I wasn't in work yesterday after all the rain we had here, next time I am on it is friday and I haven't got the time to go get them before the weekend
  • I've had them on two bikes now, with four different types of wheel and two different types of tyre.

And after the intitial installation it's only ever taken me a few moments of fiddling.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Had for a few rides now and love the extended back guard - I reckon the sales of front mechs will dwindle now they are protected! And my feet get alot less covered in crud at the back :)
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Munzy wrote:
    Had for a few rides now and love the extended back guard - I reckon the sales of front mechs will dwindle now they are protected! And my feet get alot less covered in crud at the back :)

Do you seriously believe that riding in wet weather without mudguards will wear out you front mech.If so how long do you think it would take?
  • They sound great, and after a wet ride the other day, I'm looking at getting some.

Has anyone fitted them to a Boardman Team Carbon just so I know whether they'll fit, with or without a bit of bastardising!

Here's hoping to a clean arse/back!!!!!!!!!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Gregster10217 - could NOT get them to fit my Team Carbon...they may do with a fair amount of cutting/fettling/adjusting but I gave up in the end... :cry:
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    They sound great, and after a wet ride the other day, I'm looking at getting some.

Has anyone fitted them to a Boardman Team Carbon just so I know whether they'll fit, with or without a bit of bastardising!

Here's hoping to a clean ars*/back!!!!!!!!!

Interestingly, I did manage to fit them to the Boardman. Fitting to the back wheel was much easier than the front but maybe this was down to me doing the front first. The biggest issue is the clearance under the front brake and in the end I left off the piece of the mudguard that sticks out over the front wheel - this is a common issue, not just on the Boardmans.

My advice is to leave a whole evening free to fit them (forget the 10 minute fitting time nonsense), take your time and remain calm. Of course, fitting them the next time will be much easier but I leave them on until the spring now. I found its lots of trail and error the first time putting them on and I had to adjust the front brake to increase the clearance for the mudguard to get rid of the rubbing.

Hope this helps

Brad
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Got my Mark II's on now and am MUCH happier than when I had the previous model. Fitted them in no time flat (easy when you know how) and had no fit issues.

I don't both with the front wheel top extenstion (at the front brake) and am happy with the longer rear one.

Love the new drivetrain protection - as this was my biggest beef with the previous version.

Rear guard does wobble a bit - but hopefully the little brushes will keep it safe for a while.

And it helps that I have the same Madone they seem to use in all their demos and photos for fitting the guards!
  • Thanks Sevenfold and bisoner, think I will give them a try and just leave off the front extension. I accept that they are not going to keep everything off me/the bike, so got to expect some muck and having some protection with them will be better than nothing at all.

Will post back once I've done them, without kids around and a couple of spare hours so I get it right, and let you know how I go.
    Boardman MTB Team
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    just finished putting these on. NO problem at all to 5 year old trek 1500. Bit wobbly at the back but looking forward to getting out tomorrow to test them out.

oddly looking forward to rain now!
  • Well, I got SKS Raceblades in the end as I wanted them quicker than mail order could deliver and LBS didn't stock Cruds. Fitted them this morning. Once I got the position right and put the grub screw in the hold the rails in place, they went on no problem. Front was a bit more tricky due to the odd shape forks, but sorted eventually. Just need to get out tomorrow and given them a try.
    Boardman MTB Team
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    After soaking shoes on Wednesday I fitted mine today, about an hour including a stupid mistake (cable tie on front through one hole but under opposite edge of guard on the other side :oops: ) and pretty much rub free although not 100%

Looking forward to testing them out to Saffron Walden tomorrow, about 90 miles roundtrip with rain forecast - look out for a pile of black plastic at the roadside if any problems :wink:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Apart from a very slight rubbing under the fork where clearance is least, they behaved perfectly. Sod's Law though first ride this week (4 in total) when it didn't rain so can't give a full appraisal just yet, sure it won't be long though :roll:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    finally got mine to fit, ended up ditching the 25s and put 23s back on so will test out monday morning which is looking like being wet 
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    took mine out this morning, a bit of rubbing from the bushes but i think i could live with that if it means i am a bit drier when i get back. a top bit of kit i reckon
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Advice needed please. I ordered MK2 Crud Roadracers from an Ebay vendor and I have a sneaking suspicion that they have sent me the originals not Mk2s. Never owned them before so don't know for sure but theres no mention of MK2 on the packaging, plus they say they are 160g not 180g.

Is there any way of telling for sure? They are packaged in a hanging bag rather than box and I think the sku is 5023486000222. There is a code of CRD 100.
  • riggsy81
    juankerr wrote:
    Advice needed please. I ordered MK2 Crud Roadracers from an Ebay vendor and I have a sneaking suspicion that they have sent me the originals not Mk2s. Never owned them before so don't know for sure but theres no mention of MK2 on the packaging, plus they say they are 160g not 180g.

Is there any way of telling for sure? They are packaged in a hanging bag rather than box and I think the sku is 5023486000222. There is a code of CRD 100.

as far as I am aware the original come in a bag and mk2 in a box plus the mk2 have a longer rear mudguard that attaches to the downtube to protect drivetrain etc

Roadracer_Design.png
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    juankerr wrote:

CRD100 is the part number used by cyclife website and Raleigh stores as that is what I ordered first time around. Got a link to the sale?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • juankerr
    redvee wrote:
    juankerr wrote:

CRD100 is the part number used by cyclife website and Raleigh stores as that is what I ordered first time around. Got a link to the sale?

Well here it gets a bit tricky.

Original link. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0495029094

After I bought it for the very cheap price of £19.99 inc postage, they have revised the item.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0495029094
  • juankerr
    Oh yeah, I've looked at the picture on the package and the rear doesn't extend down as far as on the picture above. cheers guys.
  • Just be careful I fitted some of the Mk 2's to my trek 1500, it was very tight and when riding through farmyard mud/muck, it compacted in the new rear down section behind the seat tube and I could hardly turn the back wheel. In the end I had to remove the offending piece as riding was impossible.
  • juankerr wrote:

The easiest way to tell is that the extended rear bit has a big 2 on it
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Undies wrote:
    Just be careful I fitted some of the Mk 2's to my trek 1500, it was very tight and when riding through farmyard mud/muck, it compacted in the new rear down section behind the seat tube and I could hardly turn the back wheel. In the end I had to remove the offending piece as riding was impossible.
    I had the same thing happen on the top section of my Mk1 RRs rear guard. At first, I didn't realise what the problem was. I just thought I was knackered when I got dropped on a 2% uphill drag.

When I was struggling to do 18 mph on the following descent I knew that something really wasn't right.

My riding companions had waited for me at the bottom of the descent and it was then that we noticed that the gunged-up guard was acting as a brake. I found a stick and scraped enough out to be able to carry on.

Mr. Crud now makes a point of stating on the packaging - "Not for offroad use" and I take that warning seriously.

I also make a point of hosing out any crud from under the guards when I get home after mucky rides to stop any gradual build-up.
  • riggsy81
    so you bought them from ebay, did the seller say they were mk2? if they did then they have sent you the original and not mk2 so contact them
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • ColinJ - I had the same problem after riding on muddy / farm exit lanes. Gradual build up of cr*p under the top of the rear Mk1 guard. 23c tyre began to rub against it after a few weeks. Pretty horrible scraping all the dried & compacted goo out. Wash the rear out regularly if you ride country lanes.

I came across another potential problem a couple of weeks ago doing a steep 25% section about 2/3rds in to the Tour of the Peak. I was putting in a couple of zig zags to ease my way up the steepest section when the tip of the front guard caught the wrong side of my shoe as I was about to straighten and...bang...I was down. The tip broke off at the small screw and was left lying on the tarmac. My R3 suffers from toe overlap anyway, so I'm not sure it was entirely the fault of the crudgruard, but I won't be using the front one again on the really hilly sportives just in case.

Anyone else had a similar problem? (I know, I know, I should just power straight up next time....)