Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've had the front guard folded double at the fork crown when I've had toe overlap incidents. Reattached the guard and rode off. Brilliant set of guards.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Fantastic bits of kit, fit them correctly and then forget about them and just enjoy the ride while staying dry :).
  • 45rpm
    45rpm Posts: 43
    All the posters who are having problems with Roadracer Mk2's need to recognise that it is they who are the problem and not the guard
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just done over 4 hours on crap infested lanes, cruds were fantastic!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah they should be mandatory on winter club runs :p I don't bother running the front as kept clipping the tail off but back stays on permanently. Only minor hassle is the crud build up on them means you have to clean them ever few weeks ;) I did think last time of putting a strip of sellotape under so I could just peel off the crap and put a new bit of tape on after - anyone (really lazy like me) tried something similar?
  • napoleond
    No, I just take the wheel of and wipe away the crap with a cloth. Takes about 45 seconds.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wtf are people doing with their mudguards?!

I just had a ride out with mine in horrendous conditions and they were brill. I've never needed to readjust them once fitted. Just a quick shove at the end of the ride...
    Exactly, both me and a ride buddy bought ours at same time, both have same Bianchi 928 c2c, i ride 3 times more miles than him, last wed he ripped off the last remaining bits of his RR's, because they were binding again!, purely down to poor maintenance, lack of checking fittings are tight, and his poor sympathy with components in general
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Mine are doing a fine job on my Trek 1.5 - saves me so much cleaning of the bike.

One question though .. anyone got a spare plastic thumbnut and screw .. one of mine pinged off at some point and I couldn't find it. Have repaired with elastic band but that does tend to spoil the look somewhat.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I've used small black cable ties instead of those fiddly thumb nuts in the places that'll take em
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Mine are doing a fine job on my Trek 1.5 - saves me so much cleaning of the bike.

One question though .. anyone got a spare plastic thumbnut and screw .. one of mine pinged off at some point and I couldn't find it. Have repaired with elastic band but that does tend to spoil the look somewhat.

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/spares
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Good idea .. cheers.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • awolandy
    awolandy Posts: 1
    Hey,

Anyone had any experience with 25mm tyres?

Thanks,
    Andy
  • napoleond
    Yes. Fine. As long as you have the required 5mm between tyre and brake bridge. It requires a little more patience to set up than with 23mm.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    awolandy wrote:
    Hey,

Anyone had any experience with 25mm tyres?

Non starter on my Ribble Gran Fondo (Schwalbe Durano) and Campag brakes - 25s just wouldn't fit no matter how much fiddling I did with the Cruds. I just changed to 23s which are fine for me anyway but even there, when the brake pads are worn, the front piece ends up closer to the tyre on one side (because the caliper arms are closer together) so can need a slight tweak. Possibly the Ribble just has tighter than average clearance.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Am trying to set these up on my Specialized Allez Comp 2010. Front guard is on and fits great, no rub.
    I am having trouble with the rear guard though. The clamp band of my front derailleur is pushing the mech guard section against my rear tyre. If I push the guard back away from the clamp with my finger the wheel spins free. The overall length of the guards is good and the fit under my rear brake is good also and I don't see how cutting the mech guard section shorter would fix the problem (or help with protecting the mech). Has anyone got any suggestions to remedy this?
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes. Fine. As long as you have the required 5mm between tyre and brake bridge. It requires a little more patience to set up than with 23mm.

Ive a set with 25mm on front and 28mm on rear. I heated the guard where it crosses the tyre with a heatgun and widened them out so they would straddle the tyre much better. perfect now.

one tip from me, wrap some tape around the frame where the mounts go and put the mounts over the tape (I use duct tape). Have had marks left from the mounts before.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread to highlight the phenemonal customer service from Crud Products. Lost a thumb screw off my rear guard and had to buy a packet of replacements from Crud. Quite handy as they came with new brushes as well for a mere £4.50. Despite the item getting lost in the post, Alison at Crud was very patient and perservered, sending me out new ones without quibble. It mights seem trivial given the cost, but the professional and helpful approach taken by Alison is worth mentioning here by way of a 'thumbs up' for Crud as a company.

For what it's worth, the guards are good too!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    GavH wrote:
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread to highlight the phenemonal customer service from Crud Products. Lost a thumb screw off my rear guard and had to buy a packet of replacements from Crud. Quite handy as they came with new brushes as well for a mere £4.50. Despite the item getting lost in the post, Alison at Crud was very patient and perservered, sending me out new ones without quibble. It mights seem trivial given the cost, but the professional and helpful approach taken by Alison is worth mentioning here by way of a 'thumbs up' for Crud as a company.

For what it's worth, the guards are good too!

Personally I have a whole collection of screws and nuts and all I need is the brushes . I really wish they sold them on their own but I suppose they aren't that dear but still annoys me all the waste.
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    When I bought mine, there was a leaflet explaining that the brushes were from a self assembly kitchen manufacturer and cost pennies. Cant remember which though.
  • doyler78
    johnmiosh wrote:
    When I bought mine, there was a leaflet explaining that the brushes were from a self assembly kitchen manufacturer and cost pennies. Cant remember which though.

I remember you could get them from B & Q but they stopped selling them. Didn't know you could them anywhere else as it would be great if I could get a big strip and cut what I need. Anbody know :D
  • mr.crud
    mr.crud Posts: 49
    edited October 2012
    The brushes are (were?) sold cheaply by the roll in B+Q and other DIY stores as draught excluder for double-glazing
    You can also get a roll of 6mm really cheap on ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/thehairyworm/m.html (draught excluder adhesive brush)

If you have any trouble sourcing brushes, just send 2 large 1st class stamps (no envelope) to....
    Alison
    Sensible Products
    Unit1 North Liverton I.E.
    Lantsbery Drive
    Loftus
    Cleveland TS13 4QZ

Tell her what you need, and include your address. She will post by return

Best Regards
    Mr CRUD
    http://www.crudproducts.com
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    ringworm wrote:
    Am trying to set these up on my Specialized Allez Comp 2010. Front guard is on and fits great, no rub.
    I am having trouble with the rear guard though. The clamp band of my front derailleur is pushing the mech guard section against my rear tyre. If I push the guard back away from the clamp with my finger the wheel spins free. The overall length of the guards is good and the fit under my rear brake is good also and I don't see how cutting the mech guard section shorter would fix the problem (or help with protecting the mech). Has anyone got any suggestions to remedy this?

I have pretty short chainstays on my frame, resulting in tight clearance between tyre and front mech clamp. So I had the same problem as you, with the mech clamp pushing the guard back onto the tyre.

I cut a small piece (an oval hole) out of the guard in the region of the mech clamp, so that the guard could sit tighter to the frame. Not ideal, but by keeping the hole small, the crap catching ability isn't reduced too much.

And respect to Mr Crud for his most excellent attitude to customer service & spares! Why buy a competing product when you're offered that sort of service? :D
  • doyler78
    mr.crud wrote:
    The brushes are (were?) sold cheaply by the roll in B+Q and other DIY stores as draught excluder for double-glazing
    You can also get a roll of 6mm really cheap on ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/thehairyworm/m.html (draught excluder adhesive brush)

If you have any trouble sourcing brushes, just send 2 large 1st class stamps (no envelope) to....
    Alison
    Sensible Products
    Unit1 North Liverton I.E.
    Lantsbery Drive
    Loftus
    Cleveland TS13 4QZ

Tell her what you need, and include your address. She will post by return

Best Regards
    Mr CRUD
    http://www.crudproducts.com

Brilliant stuff - I'll take a look at those. My brushes never last very long so this will make things a lot easier :D
  • Just fitted these to my roubaix pro with 25's tyres, a bit close in places but no rubbing, took around 2hrs to get the fit right. I used 1" wide self amalgamating tape on the fork & chain stay to protect the frame & not risk any sticky reisidue/paint peal when i remove them next year, had to cut 1cm off the bottom of the rear guard to make it sit nice around the BB. It could be i have a bit more room to play with as i'm on a 58cm frame
  • rdt wrote:
    I cut a small piece (an oval hole) out of the guard in the region of the mech clamp, so that the guard could sit tighter to the frame. Not ideal, but by keeping the hole small, the crap catching ability isn't reduced too much.

Thanks, I was going out the next day, so ended up doing something similar. Working well now.
  • Anyone running these on a Ribble Sportive 7005 or advice how i can check if they will fit ok?
  • After being caught in hailstones, snow and rain tonight, a quick visit to the LBS and these are now fitted. Tight but acceptable fit to Felt z95 with 25mm tyres. Test tomorrow night.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Shimmyhill wrote:
    Anyone running these on a Ribble Sportive 7005 or advice how i can check if they will fit ok?

The clue is in the thread - even on this very page! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My advice would be don't buy these mudguards...

The only way I've managed to stop the screws working lose and causing the mudguards to fall apart is to literally glue them together.

In cold weather the plastic is really brittle - this winter both blades have broken. While Crudcatcher used to be decent enough to offer spares for the cost of postage (probably a tacit admission that these guards break a lot) they now charge £6.50 for a single spare blade, turning poor product design and quality into a cash cow.
  • napoleond
    My advice would be don't buy these mudguards...

The only way I've managed to stop the screws working lose and causing the mudguards to fall apart is to literally glue them together.

In cold weather the plastic is really brittle - this winter both blades have broken. While Crudcatcher used to be decent enough to offer spares for the cost of postage (probably a tacit admission that these guards break a lot) they now charge £6.50 for a single spare blade, turning poor product design and quality into a cash cow.

You joined bike radar just to post that?
    ABCC Cycling Coach