Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Comments

• stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    I can't get the front guard to sit straight...always seems to align off centre forward of the front caliper with everything i try...anyone and ideas?
  • stueyc wrote:
    I can't get the front guard to sit straight...always seems to align off centre forward of the front caliper with everything i try...anyone and ideas?

This may sound dull but make sure the cable tie has passed through BOTH holes where it fixes to the underside of the break.

If that's done then move the angle of the zip tie from one side of the bike to the other.

And, if installed, remove the "bumper."
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    My Wife snapped my back one and i got replacement part from Crud during the week - spent 3hrs last night trying to refit with no joy on my Focus variado with 105 brakes and 23mm gatorskins - less than 5mm clearance but worked before!!.
    Not happy bunny so just bought some Nikwax so i can wash my jacket more often - my backside gets saved by Carradice saddle bag anyway
  • stueyc
    i didn't add the bumper under the front brake...do i need to?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    edited February 2011
    stueyc wrote:
    i didn't add the bumper under the front brake...do i need to?
    It catches some of the spray that would be thrown up in front of you which you would otherwise ride into. You can see that it is doing that because it gets mucky on wet rides.

On the subject of fit in general - I always mention the 5 mm allen key clearance test, but it has just been pointed out to me that there is also the question of tyre width!

The Roadracers are not designed for huge tyres. If you have the 5 mm clearance mentioned, they should be fine with tyres up to 25 mm in width. Some people are reporting problems with 28 mm (or larger) tyres. Most non touring bikes have 23-25 mm tyres fitted.
  • ColinJ
    antlaff wrote:
    My Wife snapped my back one and i got replacement part from Crud during the week - spent 3hrs last night trying to refit with no joy on my Focus variado with 105 brakes and 23mm gatorskins - less than 5mm clearance but worked before!!.
    Some people have managed to create an extra mm or so of clearance by carefully filing down the plastic which fits under the brakes. Obviously you shouldn't take too much off, but a mm or so might make all the difference. It's worth a try!
  • stueyc
    any ideas on me aligning the front guard Colin?...only lines up when i apply the brake!...soon as i release it goes off centre again?
  • stueyc wrote:
    any ideas on me aligning the front guard Colin?...only lines up when i apply the brake!...soon as i release it goes off centre again?

Cable tie is too tight.
  • ColinJ
    stueyc wrote:
    Apart from not having it too tight, 'Mister Crud' also suggests that you can try doing the cable tie up from the opposite side i.e. if you fed it in from the right, try taking it off and feeding it in from the left.

Mine works the opposite to yours - it is lined up with the brake off, but when I apply the front brake, the front piece of the guard goes off-centre until I release the brake again. It doesn't seem to cause any problems so I just ignore it.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    ColinJ wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    Some people have managed to create an extra mm or so of clearance by carefully filing down the plastic which fits under the brakes. Obviously you shouldn't take too much off, but a mm or so might make all the difference. It's worth a try!

cheers Colin - will try again when my patience returns
  • stueyc wrote:

Cable tie is too tight.

+1. Mine was only straight with the front brake on and having a bit of OCD I didnt like that!

A new looser cable tie did the trick. ( the wife reckons the correct term should be "more loose"! ).

Cheers Stuart.
  • stueyc
    finally got these fellas on..little bit fiddly but well worth the effort...why i didn't get these before is beyond me....work like a treat
  • ColinJ
    stueyc wrote:
    finally got these fellas on..little bit fiddly but well worth the effort...why i didn't get these before is beyond me....work like a treat
    I was out yesterday in horrendous conditions and the Roadracers really helped to make the ride (just) bearable.

I was getting rubbing sounds from all the grit that my wet tyres picked up but I just rode through a lot of puddles to sluice it out and stop it building up.

I'm still a fan.
  • hi there, sorry if this had been asked, but search returned nothing....has anyone fitted these to an Orbea Aqua? the clearance is right on 4mm, so not sure if they will work,

thanks...
  • andnej
    andnej Posts: 1
    Mine worked fine but the long tail is not straight

20110303065241475.th.jpg
    20110303065319508.th.jpg

so i use the short tail instead
    20110303065349852.th.jpg
    20110303065440859.th.jpg
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got MkIIs on both my bikes and have stuck with MKI tailpieces on both of them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    I fitted the mk2,s in december and they did take a while to fit, but well worth it. The front section did rub along the wheel at the front edge as mentioned before but a hot air gun sorted that. The back guard can drop every so often and rub the tyre but lifting it slightly solves the problem. For plastic guards the fit is very good.
  • Hi, ive bought the giant rapid 2 and its almost ready to ride =] i want to use fenders and when i was looking fot those on the internet i saw a picture of the crud roadracer 2. What a nice fender! it doesnt make your bike ugly! i would like to know before i order the roadracer 2 if it will fitt on the Giant Rapid 2 from 2011?

Thanks for the reply
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Mine drove me spare. Constantly faffing around, I'd leave them overnight, then come back and they'd be out of shape again.

Then I swapped GP4Seasons for Ultremos. That made them better, but still really irritating now and again.

Then I broke my rear RS20 wheel. Decided to get new wheels and got some Fulcrum 7.

Fitted the cruds, didn't even move them around, they just worked and have been 100% flawless ever since.

So there you have it, Fulcrum 7 and Schwalbe Ultremo 23c.
  • I have owned these for a week and must say they are the worst product i have ever had the displeasure of buying. there flimsy which causes them to bind on every chance they need realigning daily any rut or bump in the road they rub and bind.. if i cycle standinv up... you guessed it they bind. i have litterally just removed them binned them and reverted back to my halfords set up on my specialized.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    grahamfsr wrote:
    I have owned these for a week and must say they are the worst product i have ever had the displeasure of buying. there flimsy which causes them to bind on every chance they need realigning daily any rut or bump in the road they rub and bind.. if i cycle standinv up... you guessed it they bind. i have litterally just removed them binned them and reverted back to my halfords set up on my specialized.

From what you describe, it seems like you are experiencing wheel flex. I'd say it's your wheels that are flimsy.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    grahamfsr wrote:
    I have owned these for a week and must say they are the worst product i have ever had the displeasure of buying. there flimsy which causes them to bind on every chance they need realigning daily any rut or bump in the road they rub and bind.. if i cycle standinv up... you guessed it they bind. i have litterally just removed them binned them and reverted back to my halfords set up on my specialized.

Sounds like a) your wheels are flexy and b) you haven't set them up right. Oh, and c) did you check you had 5mm clearance between brake bridge and tyre before buying?

I have had no problems, have used them on a Litespeed, a colnago and now my Cervelo R3 (with 24mm tyres) Fantastic bits of kit!

93735eb1.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Grahamfsr

Something not right with your cruds or the way you have fitted them to your bike.

I have them on my Spesh for the daily commute and they have been a revelation this winter. They seem to be very flimsy but I have had nothing break or fall off; they rattle a bit every now and again but I have not yet had to correct the arm alignment.

Fitting them was not fun but they ain't coming off my bike until early summer, if at all.

Hope it's not too late to retrieve them from your bin. Try fitting them and then take the bike to your lbs and ask where you have gone wrong in fitting them. May of course be your bike but I really doubt that.

Peter
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have replaced the Cruds on my bikes with SKS Raceblade Longs as they just seem to work better for me. yes, slightly heavier but I have only fitted the one bit for each wheel (not bothered with the post-bridge sectiion). Nice and solid, no bouncing around and no constant readjustment before each ride. Don't get me wrong, I still blame the bike manufacturers for not producing bikes with clearance so Cruds do the best they can...but the SKS guards are real quality and no mistake.
  • Couldn't get Crud mk 2s to fit my Planet X Team Alu with 25c Gatorskins. Have now fitted Raceblade long on rear with post bridge bit and Standard Raceblade at front as long wil not fit without rubbing but also with new Long post bridge bit. A bit of an amalgam but it works.
    Kona Cindercone 1995
    Trek 6500 2006
    Planet X SL carbon 2010
    Planet X Team Alu with SRAM apex
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    northpole wrote:
    Fitting them was not fun but they ain't coming off my bike until early summer, if at all.

I took mine off my Ribble over summer until I realised I was still getting wet rides (I do commute on it) and that the bike looked better with them on anyway so now they are on permanently. I only really notice them when the first rain puts lots of grit on the road which rolls up noisily between the wet tyre and guard. Otherwise no bother at all!
    grahamfsr wrote:
    i have litterally just removed them binned them and reverted back to my halfords set up on my specialized.

Oh well, for less than the £22 - £30 you have wasted you could have sold them for a good £15 or even donated them on here but if you have money to burn...... Or just been a bit more patient and fitted them properly in the first place. Or got in touch with Crud - they tend to be keen to help folk not having a good time with their products.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I still blame the bike manufacturers for not producing bikes with clearance

You blame the manufacturers for making close tolerance racing bikes..? Have you thought of blaming yourself for trying to fit mudguards to a bike that was not designed to be used with mudguards..?

If you want proper guards, buy a tourer - otherwise, just accept that anything else will be a compromise.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I still blame the bike manufacturers for not producing bikes with clearance

You blame the manufacturers for making close tolerance racing bikes..? Have you thought of blaming yourself for trying to fit mudguards to a bike that was not designed to be used with mudguards..?

If you want proper guards, buy a tourer - otherwise, just accept that anything else will be a compromise.

I bought a Spesh Secteur when I was a newbie. I wanted a bike that I could ride all year so picked one that was advertised as such and even had mudguard and panier eyelets... so I thought fitting mudguards would be fine...then discovered that the clearance was only 4-5mm with 23mm tyres. So, yes, I made the error (if I bought now and was looking for an all year bike I would check the clearance myself before purchase) but I still think that bikes with mudguard eyelets should have enough clearance for mudguards (which wasn't quite what I said first time around).
  • I have to say I'm very disappointed with Crud products. My first crud guard was a Mk1 that went on my ironhorse Townsend MB so I really wanted to like current products. But in the last 12 months I've had nothing but disappointment and buying replacements:
    mk4 crud catcher cracked after I slung my mountain bike over my shoulder. only had it about 6 weeks. At the time I thought the plastic must be too brittle as it wasn't much of a bump. replaced it with a nice rare to find yellow version which has held good. fixed the old one with a couple of zip ties - sure it'll come in useful one day.
    Persevered and bought a race guard for the rear end. After 4th outing I got to the bottom of Glentress to find it had pinged off somewhere leaving a lonely bracket still attached. Was I going to hike back up the trail - not likely. To their credit Crud sent me a new blade. When I was fitting it the threads stripped from the bracket - knackered. Aluminum might be light but it's too soft. Bought another. It's coped with being attached to the bike and sitting in my spare room, so far so good
    That brings me right up to date with my Road-racer. Fitted it last night after checking the weather forecast very fiddly but got there in the end. Cycled to and from work (6 miles). Was cleaning my bike tonight (I dont have much of a life!) and noticed that it's cracked just above where the post attaches. As I certainly didn't drop the bike on the way home I can only assume that either someone else has bumped into my bike when it was parked up or, again, the material choice is wrong and the product is not up to the job.

any one else had similar troubles or have I just been unlucky?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wtf are people doing with their mudguards?!

I just had a ride out with mine in horrendous conditions and they were brill. I've never needed to readjust them once fitted. Just a quick shove at the end of the ride...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach