Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes. Should be fine. Will need a bit of fettling but once set up should be good...
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Sorry to ask yet another, but presumably they would fit/be ok on my Ace with 23mm Armadillos? Did the previous posters suggest protecting the frame with tape where zipties touch the carbon surfaces? Thanks
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    always protect any frame where there is friction
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Ok this is nice, but can someone explain what "send one large 1st class stamp" means?
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Anonymous
    mclarent wrote:
    Ok this is nice, but can someone explain what "send one large 1st class stamp" means?

You send them a large 1st class stamp (one of the ones for a big envelope) with your address and an explanation of what you need, and they return the bits to you, using the large 1st class stamp you sent them...
  • Large 1st class stamps cost more than small ones, about 66p I think. Can't fault the Crud II's used them for a LEJOG a few weeks ago and they were great. The customer service is also great. originally had the MKI's but broke the main rear section so sent enough stamps to Crud to upgrade the back to a MKII ended up costing about £11.50 for the 3 main sections of the rear guard. far better than Raceblades IMO.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    Say's on the box 'DONT USE OFF-ROAD'.
    Does anyone know if they'd be ok for a couple of miles of unpaved farm track - muddy, loose stones, pot holes but still basically a road.
    or does Road = Tarmac?
  • Anonymous
    Read into it what you will, I've used mine on such tracks but knowing full well that if they get damaged that way then on my head be it...
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    mclarent wrote:

You send them a large 1st class stamp (one of the ones for a big envelope) with your address and an explanation of what you need, and they return the bits to you, using the large 1st class stamp you sent them...

Per part. The sections are 6 large stamps etc. So you need to make sure you send enough.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Given they've beefed up the design on the Mk 2's over the Mk 1's - is it better to bite the bullet and buy a new set.

I have a brand new set of Mk1's I bought last winter and didn't use but have just put on my bike today (Spec Allez with Open Pave 24s). They're on fine apart from the extension on the front wheel which I can't get to sit straight so far .

I know I can order the new bits but if they've upgraded around the cable ties etc - should I just order a new set when these ones break rather than buy the new extensions for the rear wheel?

Thanks for any thoughts (especially from those who've run both versions).

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Just broke the front one of mine when putting imy bike into my car :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Moaner wrote:

Means not on the pavement :lol: Took my SS along the Kennet & Avon 4 weeks ago with MK1s when I got the bike ready for the winter and broke the front guard when a twig got flicked up by the front wheel, no doubt not helped by the fact that I had the longer rear piece on the front as I had one spare.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I fitted some of these today and while I love the new extension that should hopefully keep crap of the front derailleur, I find the new longer tail section way too floppy. I think I'll be using the normal tail unless I'm out on a group ride.

Very impressed still and some nice improvements over the Mk1.
    More problems but still living....
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    Spender45 wrote:
    Just broke the front one of mine when putting imy bike into my car :(

Not uncommon then!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Swapped from the Raceblades to the Mk II and very impressed. Couldn't fit the very front section without it rubbing but it doesn't do a lot anyway. They seem to fit well and are far better at keeping the muck off other people and the bike. I like the fact that the rear caliper gets protected
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Moaner wrote:
    Does anyone know if they'd be ok for a couple of miles of unpaved farm track - muddy, loose stones, pot holes but still basically a road.
    or does Road = Tarmac?
    Earlier in the year I was out with a bunch of lads and steered off down a farm track for a pee-stop. After that I spent the rest of the ride chasing them, catching them, getting dropped again. I ended up struggling to do 20 mph downhill on a road that I'd normally easily hit 30+ mph on. I thought I must have been coming down with a bug, I felt that weak. Then I got off the bike and discovered that my rear guard was packed solid with mud. it was like having the rear brake on all the time. (This was on Mk1 Roadracers, but this would also apply to the Mk2s.)

On my bike there is only about 1 mm clearance between front & rear tyres and guards under the brakes and it doesn't take much to clog that up.

I think CRUD are basically covering themselves so if you go off-road and break your guards, then that's your look-out. The main worry is that the guards will get jammed up with crap. Even if the friction doesn't drive you mad, the rubbing noises will!

I do still ride short distances on mucky tracks, but I make sure to wash out all the gunk with a hose under the guards when I get home. Don't let it build up. If the worst comes to the worst, scrape the crap out mid-ride with an allen key or a twig.

I still think the Roadracers are a great product. I have the Mk2s on my bike now and they are a significant improvement on the Mk1s.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I have a similar issue with my MK1s but that's riding on the road albeit with 25mm tyres.
    There's so much cr*p on the roads at the moment that I end up intentionally riding through any puddle I can find just to get rid of the annoying scraping noise :lol:

Wouldn't be without them though especially as last week I seemed to be following the route of a local muck spreader for about 5miles...never saw it but boy did it stink and I'm really glad the guards stopped it getting all over me.

Looking forward to my Mk1s giving up the ghost so I can invest in the Mk11s.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Why use mud guards at all? So what if there is a bit of sh*t up your back, you've got to wash everything anyway.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • amaferanga
    Why use mud guards at all? So what if there is a bit of sh*t up your back, you've got to wash everything anyway.

So if its a cold winters day and the roads are wet you'd rather get a wet dirty back than use a lightweight and decent looking mudguard like the Cruds? If you ride every day it sure does save a lot of washing....
  • ColinJ
    Er...
    1. You like being let into cafes?
    2. Your mates don't like being blinded by the spray from your back wheel?
    3. You don't fancy dying from hypothermia because you are getting soaked by cold spray?
    4. You don't like the sound of gritty crap grinding away at your transmission?
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Geeeeeeeeze! Took me 2 hours to install these bloody things - an hour of that was truing my bloody wheel.

The rear guard which runs down the seat tube to protect the front derailleur doesn't fit unfortunately as there wasn't enough clearance. I eventually gave up. I then had to true my wheel which was out of true quite aggressively radially. As the tyre came round, it would rub hard on the guard. I eventually sorted that out, and then had to fiddle with the zip ties around the brakes. As I threaded the zip ties through, the tie went beneath the guard which left it off-centre - thank Christ the ties are releasable though!

I eventually got them positioned okay and fitted, and am very happy I persisted. They're a clever design with slight room for manoeuvre. I do think the instructions could have been clearer though. They feel quite flimsy - especially the rear extension. I just hope it behaves itself when I'm going down some pretty bumpy roads.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    ColinJ wrote:
    Er...
    1. You like being let into cafes?
    2. Your mates don't like being blinded by the spray from your back wheel?
    3. You don't fancy dying from hypothermia because you are getting soaked by cold spray?
    4. You don't like the sound of gritty crap grinding away at your transmission?

Yes I'm worried about my transmission. Which means Im thinking about the version 2s cos the v1 weren't good in that area so I hear.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    The rear extension aint 'arf wobbly: I ditched mine in favour of one of the spare, shorter end-pieces.
  • ColinJ
    Furrag wrote:
    They feel quite flimsy - especially the rear extension. I just hope it behaves itself when I'm going down some pretty bumpy roads.
    I've done a couple of 45 mph descents on bumpy roads and mine were fine.
    Yes I'm worried about my transmission. Which means Im thinking about the version 2s cos the v1 weren't good in that area so I hear.
    The Mk1s hardly covered the front half of the rear wheel so the full length Mk2s are a big improvement. They are bigger on the transmission side than the other to give even more protection.
    Jimbo. wrote:
    The rear extension aint 'arf wobbly: I ditched mine in favour of one of the spare, shorter end-pieces.
    I did mine up as finger-tight as I could and it seems fine. (I broke a screw on the Mk1s using a screwdriver to tighten it, so fingers only now!)
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    :cry: not impressed by these I am afraid.

Front one seems to fit ok, with no rubbing, its a bit "wangy" but I am sure it will be ok.

The rear one is a different story, the seatstays on my Allez are bent (by design of course), and this means that the guard just doesn't fit right, its quite "up in the air" at the back, and wangs around like mad, not only that, but the drivetrain protector / cover but will not stop rubbing, no matter what.

Has anyone managed to fit the rear one, with it rubbing, on a Spesh Allez?, I am a bit loathed to start chopping it about, as I might just sell them on...
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    danowat wrote:

Front one seems to fit ok, with no rubbing, its a bit "wangy" but I am sure it will be ok.

The rear one is a different story, the seatstays on my Allez are bent (by design of course), and this means that the guard just doesn't fit right, its quite "up in the air" at the back, and wangs around like mad, not only that, but the drivetrain protector / cover but will not stop rubbing, no matter what.

Has anyone managed to fit the rear one, with it rubbing, on a Spesh Allez?, I am a bit loathed to start chopping it about, as I might just sell them on...

Spesh Allez here. Fitted rear without much fuss. Cut a bit off the front of the rear (where it protects the front mech) as per the instructions and it fitted pretty well
  • amaferanga
    danowat wrote:

If the rear stay is attached down as close to the drop out as you can get then surely the guard must be close to the tyre? Have you done something silly like putting the stays on the wrong way round?

I agree that with the longer extension on the back the guard is too floppy, which is why I'm using the shorter tail most of the time and only adding the long one for group rides. Takes less than a minute to swap over.

And yes, the instructions do actually say that you might need to trim the drivetrain protector - you did read them didn't you? :wink:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I did, but like I said, I am loathed to start chopping it about, as I am stuck with it once I take a knife to it!!!.

Yes, stays are round the correct way, and the "lugs" are as close to the dropouts as I can get them.

@MikeWW, any chance of some piccies of the rear guard attached?
  • ColinJ
    You can adjust how close a guard is to its wheel by loosening the nuts on the guard-ends of the stays and sliding the guard in or out as desired, then tightening the nuts back up.
  • amaferanga
    danowat wrote:
    I did, but like I said, I am loathed to start chopping it about, as I am stuck with it once I take a knife to it!!!.

Yes, stays are round the correct way, and the "lugs" are as close to the dropouts as I can get them.

@MikeWW, any chance of some piccies of the rear guard attached?

Got any pictures then? I can't understand how your Allez would be any different to almost every other road bike as they all have the same size wheels.