Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Forgot to add to this thread...

The Cruds were brilliant on the Geoff Thomas Sportive!

Loads of mud and crap on the road, I was nice and clean, as was the drivetrain :o
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Just a really simple piece of kit. And pretty hard wearing as well. Waiting on my second bike to get the MK 2's
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Anonymous
    Review now up on the review site...

http://bikestuffreview.wordpress.com/
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Is there any additional clearance with the MK11s ?
    I fitted MK1s to my Allez in the spring and since I've killed my Dawes Giro commuter I've used this for commuting and wet training rides. Been ok but I broke a front section where the zip tie attached to go up to the brake then a stay broke as it had been rubbing on the front tyre. As the roads will be dirtier in winter I wonder if the mud and other krap will have a tendency to build up where clearance is tightest ? I've always relied on full 'guards until now and am trying to avoid buying another bike just so I can get the clearance and bosses for these - if the Allez can get me through this winter I'll be buying a set of MK11s for the extra coverage them seem to give.
  • Anonymous
    It's the same.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Cheers - might try a set anyway - the rear wheel section protecting the seat tube/mech looks a good addition.
  • Anonymous
    I have ridden through loads of muddy bits of road on them, never had a problem, it's just cleared again fairly quickly.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Been messing about with these with 25mm tyres and gave up - swapped to 23mm tyres and work perfectly - no rubbing and very sturdy. great purchase. I also lost one of the screws and for the price of a 1st class stamp Crud sent me out another - excellent service!!
  • I'm annoyed, very annoyed. I bought a pair of what I believed to be MKII's yesterday from Evans in Chiswick after sales bloke said they were MKII's, I've just fitted them, seen this thread, checked and lo and behold they are MKI'1!!! Should take them back really but it's a bleeding potch!!!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Anonymous
    I'm annoyed, very annoyed. I bought a pair of what I believed to be MKII's yesterday from Evans in Chiswick after sales bloke said they were MKII's, I've just fitted them, seen this thread, checked and lo and behold they are MKI'1!!! Should take them back really but it's a bleeding potch!!!

Cheeky mo'fo!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    you can take them back and they have to replace them with what you contracted to buy.
    do it.
  • Is there much of a difference between them? I know it's lazy but I cant be ar5ed to take them all off, bag em back up and it's awkward trying to commute with them in my bag on the bike.

God that does sound lazy doesnt it???
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • These appear to be the guards to get.

They should fit my Cannonadale CAAD9 with Tiagra brakes?

thanks
  • Anonymous
    Yes.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    omg

why is this thread still running?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

just BUY the fellas.

there is only a choice of 2 (SKS and crud). Some of you need your arse wiping for you. BUY them.
  • Is there much of a difference between them? I know it's lazy but I cant be ar5ed to take them all off, bag em back up and it's awkward trying to commute with them in my bag on the bike.

God that does sound lazy doesnt it???

If you can't be bothered send 6 large 1st class stamps to Crud to at least get the new seatpost section.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Bought and fitted mine yesterday, easy to fit and they are about to be tested in the lanes around Bristol.

Only small gripe is that the front guard rubbed on the tyre just in front of the front brake, I tried adjustining and that didn't work so I took the extension off as I can't see it making much difference, and hey presto no rubbing.

Will report back after my ride
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Anonymous
    JesseD wrote:
    Bought and fitted mine yesterday, easy to fit and they are about to be tested in the lanes around Bristol.

Only small gripe is that the front guard rubbed on the tyre just in front of the front brake, I tried adjustining and that didn't work so I took the extension off as I can't see it making much difference, and hey presto no rubbing.

Will report back after my ride

Did you tighten the cable tie tight? If so, loosen it a little and it should be ok...
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I gather these have been toughened up. I gave up on the previous ones when the top of the guard wore through at the top where it attaches to the bike.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    OK I'm back and guess what, the sun came out and stayed out for the whole ride, typical.

I am quite impressed with them to be honest, they are not that sturdy but I didn't really notice they were there. The only part which annoyed me was the bit in front of the front brake. Even though I took off the extension it still rubbed, I just snapped it off and now no rubbing. I am actually looking forward to some wet weather now so I can really try them out.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    Fitted them to my Allez last night, took about 40 mins of messing.

Made a few noises on my hours ride, but I think I can fit them a bit better to be honest.

Not sure quite what the stickey caterpiiler things do yet.....I wonder if they help with reducign noise as they move about? Will fit them tonight.

I did however stay dry even when having to cycle through a 4 inch flooded road!
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • nickwill
    I was looking at getting a pair of the Mk 2s, but am concerned about clearance on the back guard. My bike has absolutely minimal clearance between the rear derailleur clamp and the rear tyre. The Mk 1s didn't go down as far as the Mk 2s as far as I can see, and they were fine. Could anyone who has used both types give me an opinion on this?
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Nickwill wrote:
    I was looking at getting a pair of the Mk 2s, but am concerned about clearance on the back guard. My bike has absolutely minimal clearance between the rear derailleur clamp and the rear tyre. The Mk 1s didn't go down as far as the Mk 2s as far as I can see, and they were fine. Could anyone who has used both types give me an opinion on this?

If you're talking about minimal clearance between the tyre and the front-mech clamp, then consider cutting a small slot in the plastic guard (using a craft/Stanley knife) where it presses against the front-mech clamp, so the guard can sit flush to the seat-tube.
  • nickwill
    rdt wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

If you're talking about minimal clearance between the tyre and the front-mech clamp, then consider cutting a small slot in the plastic guard (using a craft/Stanley knife) where it presses against the front-mech clamp, so the guard can sit flush to the seat-tube.

Yep! :oops: I meant the front mech. Can you tell I was in a hurry!
  • Anonymous
    Dave-M wrote:
    Fitted them to my Allez last night, took about 40 mins of messing.

Made a few noises on my hours ride, but I think I can fit them a bit better to be honest.

Not sure quite what the stickey caterpiiler things do yet.....I wonder if they help with reducign noise as they move about? Will fit them tonight.

I did however stay dry even when having to cycle through a 4 inch flooded road!

The sticky caterpillars are essential, they stop the guard touching the sides of the tyres when you go over bumps...
  • Rather not waste another £30 on clip on mudguards even if they're better than my Race Blades (anyone want them?) lol
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Now available at Parker International for £21.95.
    I've got the MK1s installed on my Allez (which is now a full time commuter) and they have been brilliant. They have lasted reasonably well over 2000 miles of London cr@p roads. The bike also has a very thin Tortec Velocity rack, which has protected the guards when leaning the bike against walls etc. Highly recommended combination to turn a race bike into a commuter!

My wife has asked for some guards for her road bike, so I was thinking of getting some MK2s. The other alternative is some silver Race Blades, which would look better colour wise and I think are more quick release? She mainly rides around the city locally. No club rides or racing.
    However if I buy the Mk2s I could always swap them with my MK1s and hope she doesn’t notice. There has been a small repair job to the rear involving superglue and electrical tape??
  • Go for the whole hog and nick her bike, then put this in it's place. See if she notices.

rusted.jpg
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • That looks in better condition than the Trek she managed to trash. A V-brake mount has been torn off rendering the frame almost useless.
    She now rides everywhere on a good condition Dolce Elite road bike. God help it!
    I’m thinking to cover it in bike tape.
  • I had to take mine off my Sport 1 yesterday. They were fine with the original tyres but when I fitted a set of Marathon Pluses I found there isn't enough space for them. :cry: