TdF Stage 17 *Spoilers*

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    How can we have moto-camera shots but no helicopter shots? I thought the heli was necessary for relaying the moto shots.
  • afx237vi
    Pross wrote:
    So, is the break going to stay away? Can't see Flecha or EBH staying up there on the Tourmalet with and 6.30 advantage at present. Are there any good climbers in the break?

Kristjan Koren is definitely one to watch for the future, but I reckon they'll be caught.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Normally Pauriol is the most solid climber of the break, but no, I don;t see them staying away either.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Pace has gone up, they won't stay away.

How early on the Tourmalet with Andy have a go?
    Could wait till final 4-5km, or could go early for a massive duel.
    exercise.png
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    afx237vi wrote:
    I thought the heli was necessary for relaying the moto shots.

Why would it be?
  • afx237vi
    Orleandrew wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Why would it be?

Isn't that how it works? The signal from the cameras are beamed to the helicopter, which in turn relays it to the satellite trucks. I could be wrong...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Yep, coming down quite quickly at the moment. The break may pull a bit back out of the descent though.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    All tranquilo so far. Massive bunch rolling up the Soulor. So it's only go to come down to the Tourmalet. Predictable I suppose. I only hope some GC guys get jumpy early on the Tourmalet, for example Gesink and J-Rod need some time ahead of the GC. How's Jurgen Van Den Broeck in a TT?
  • Pross
    afx237vi wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Why would it be?

Isn't that how it works? The signal from the cameras are beamed to the helicopter, which in turn relays it to the satellite trucks. I could be wrong...

Was my understanding too, hence the picture break up when they go into cover. Maybe the helis are up but can't get close to the race :?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    afx237vi wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Why would it be?

There's an AWACS type aircraft at high altitude which relays all teh bike and chopper signals to the editing vans and then back to the satellites for broadcast, i believe.

ithankyow
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    How does the magical 1 minute per 10km work on mountain stages? I assume it can come down a lot quicker?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

There's an AWACS type aircraft at high altitude which relays all teh bike and chopper signals to the editing vans and then back to the satellites for broadcast, i believe.

ithankyow

Oh yeah, now that you mention it I remember Carlton talking about that. I think there are two of them flying in figure 8 shapes over the race so there's always one in coverage.

Think only the Tour does that, which is probably why we have pictures today, but not in other races when the weather is crap.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    How does the magical 1 minute per 10km work on mountain stages? I assume it can come down a lot quicker?

25 seconds a KM on big climbs I heard Vaughters say
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Kléber wrote:
    How's Jurgen Van Den Broeck in a TT?

Not impressive; I reckon Levi and even Gesink have a chance to get passed him in GC. BUt then, you never know in the last TT at the end of a grand tour.
  • Pokerface
    Riders going into the fog now....
  • Pokerface
    Break is 5:05 ahead. Sastre is 3:30 back of the break and 1:40 ahead of the bunch.

Nearing the top of the Col du Soulor
  • Pokerface
    SHeep on the road briefly held up the peleton!
  • afx237vi
    Sheep attack!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Flocks sake
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    hope there are no sheep on the descent!
  • Pross
    Sheep causing chaos - my one and only road race crash was caused by those wooly f****rs :evil: Should be on a plate with mint sauce :wink:
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Most excitement yet on todays stage... Love abit of sheep action.
  • Pokerface
    Kelly saying they only normally run their tyres at 120 PSI. I didn't think tubs ran at so low a pressure! I run mine much higher - I though that was part of the point of them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Good to see Julian Dean's fan club out on the climbs
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Gibo: We were like sheep today. :wink:
    Still better to have them crossing on the ascent.
    Imagine the carnage if that happened on the descent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good to see Julian Dean's fan club out on the climbs

Always good for us Welshies to deflect those comments elsewhere before they start :wink:
  • Pokerface
    The break is heading back down now. Gap coming down quickly.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Welsh people - Were any of the sheep hot?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    iainf72 wrote:

Ha. Never gets old..
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

They looked a little too slutty for my tastes. (but I'm only half Welsh)
    Twitter: @RichN95