TdF Stage 17 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited July 2010
    Sastre not making much progress towards the break

He's the kind of rider that could grind away all day and will eventually catch the leaders and if he's not too burned out - drop them on the final climb. But he needs to bridge that gap soon.

3:55 back
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    gerardvroomen @dnlbenson I'm all for courtesy, but let's get SOME racing in or change it to a 23 day group ride waiting for everybody.

Funny how your opinion is guided by who the rider is, eh? :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    weather is getting worse on top of the T - webcams of the villages on route show nobody on the steets - quite telling!!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Thought he had agreed that what AC did was ok?
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    Isn't that addendum called the Saxo Bank chapter :wink:
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    iainf72 wrote:
    gerardvroomen @dnlbenson I'm all for courtesy, but let's get SOME racing in or change it to a 23 day group ride waiting for everybody.

Funny how your opinion is guided by who the rider is, eh? :wink:

No, it's guided b/c he has skin in the game. If you've ever sponsored a sport (I sail and run a 30' boat which isn't cheap) anything that takes away from racing sucks - like no wind, or too much snow, or a doping investigation. It's all a headache that takes away from precious sporting (which in the case of sailing is a lot less than cycling). Even when the issue is ever so slightly moral, when you're spending millions of your (campany's) hard earned cash, you want your jersey up the road.

When you actually bank roll something, it really chrystallizes your point of view.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Anyone got a live link? ITV not starting until 2.30pm online :(
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone got a live link? ITV not starting until 2.30pm online :(

This is working for me, but the commentary is in foreign

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e1-00100100-1610
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Big Sean is scared of thunder.

I always knew he was a jessie.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    http://www.justin.tv/fatal023

French commnetary though.

Terrible bloody weather.
  • Pokerface
    Sastre only 1:20 back of the break now.
  • Pokerface
    Sastre actually riding himself into Yellow here! Means the bunch will have to chase soon as he's only a few mins back of Contador now in the virtual GC.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    This has worked without fault so far today. And it's in English - the Eurosport coverage.

http://www.fromsport.com/v-0/0/148/v-14923.html
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    The lead group is 8 mins ahead of MJ.. how far is Sastre from the lead group?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I think there is two plans here

if sastre can ride hard enough asthma jet doesn't make the cut even if sastre grinds to a halt on the soulor or tourmalet
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pokerface
    samiam wrote:
    The lead group is 8 mins ahead of MJ.. how far is Sastre from the lead group?

1:20 back.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Pokerface
    Sastre slowing slightly again. He'll have to catch the break on the next climb.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    AidanR wrote:
    Hmm, Contador stopping the peloton for Sanchez, but Sastre isn't interested. I guess he wants to catch the break? Hmm, unwritten rules once more - should he wait when he's not going to threaten GC? I reckon it's OK.
    Sanchez owes Sastre a favour, or rather the other way around, Sastre owes Sanchez no favours, after the work Sastre did for Sanchez to get the Olympic medal.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Pettachi off the back? What will the cut off be today? Has anyone not made a cut off yet this year? What chances Pettachi missing cut?
    Rich
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    edited July 2010
    RichA wrote:
    Pettachi off the back? What will the cut off be today? Has anyone not made a cut off yet this year? What chances Pettachi missing cut?

not many...

he is getting back on

too much flat between the marie blanc and the soulor

needed a harder start to the day

moreau looks to have chucked in the towel for the KoM without a fight probable neutralisation by the shack played on Caisse's mind there?

could have be furious from the start but they couldn't be arsed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    God it'll be great not to be seeing the Transitions & Wiggle ads 20x a day
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichA wrote:

Stijn Vandenbergh missed the time cut on the Station des Rousses stage.

Doubt it'll happen today. Petacchi will just stick with the others in the bus. No panic.
  • Pokerface
    Cut off time for today:

Category 3 - stage presenting intense difficulty
    5 percent if the average speed of the winner is 15mph (26kmh) or less
    Up to 18 percent if the average speed of the winner is greater than 24mph (38kmh)
  • Pokerface
    Sastre has now dropped another minute back from the break.

2:24 back now. He was 1:20 back at the top of the last climb
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Sastre strugling a bit now.
  • Pross
    Thanks for the links everyone.
  • Pokerface
    Is Sastre giving up now?

He's firmly in no-man's land now. smack-dab in the middle of the break and bunch.

maybe riding his own pace and saving some energy for the big climb.
  • Pross
    Practising for the time trial by the look of it! Going to be a long day for him on his own.
  • Pross
    So, is the break going to stay away? Can't see Flecha or EBH staying up there on the Tourmalet with and 6.30 advantage at present. Are there any good climbers in the break?