Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i called him alot harsh name than that...

fat french and then another word but seeing as bored is open to the public and ive had warnings over my language on here before i shall refrain.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Am I the only person who doesn't think it was a headbutt, properly termed? Can't believe I am.

A headbutt is delivered with the forehead, to a soft part of the face or body. This was a sideways whack with a bike helmet. It looks to me like Dean leans in pretty hard first, then Renshaw decided to skip the pleasantries of an elbow or a shoulder and get straight to something that would catch Dean's attention, and force him back onto his own line. A proper headbutt should have put the recipient on the floor first go. Dean plainly wasn't prepared to back off without a bit of "oomph" applied his way.

Baulking Farrar was a bit wankerish, and dangerous, admittedly. But frankly Farrar had as much chance of winning that sprint immediately prior to the baulk as I did.

it deserved a penalty, and perhaps one imposed on the team. But not the penalty that was dispensed.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    no greg i said on another forum i frequent that i dont think it was a headbutt as such but more of just a pushing with his head to get room/space.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    They analysed it more in the live coverage (or was it the highlights) and showed Dean leaning in. You could clearly see it from the helicopter shot.

Very harsh punishment imho.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    Jaysus, you go for a week's holiday and it all kicks off

I thought the TDF was a series of overblown sportive rides round France then one big mountain stage and a time trial to decide/confirm the winner.

This year seems to have everything, racing virtually every day for every jersey, aged hero/ arch villian pleading with pride to give him one last chance, Cadel Evans realising that he's just not good enough, Andy Schleck putting up a serious challenge, Cavendish finding form at just the right time, Thor being awesome, debatable DQ's, Sky wondering what the hell they spent all that money on.

Epic stuff. And an Irishman going well on GC
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411

I thought the TDF was a series of overblown sportive rides round France then one big mountain stage and a time trial to decide/confirm the winner.

This year seems to have everything, racing virtually every day for every jersey, aged hero/ arch villian pleading with pride to give him one last chance, Cadel Evans realising that he's just not good enough, Andy Schleck putting up a serious challenge, Cavendish finding form at just the right time, Thor being awesome, debatable DQ's, Sky wondering what the hell they spent all that money on.

Indeed! Beats the chuffing football, that's for sure.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Did Contador win the Tour today?

Andy tried to crack him on the Madeleine, and couldn't. Today, Contador outpaced AS, who just couldn't get near him. That's quite a pair of psychological wounds, even making allowances for the fact that today's climb was short and steep, and unlike what they will face in the Pyrenees.

AS might just decide that racing for second is smarter than racing for first and ending up in seventh or eighth. Who'd blame him?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Greg66 wrote:

Andy tried to crack him on the Madeleine, and couldn't. Today, Contador outpaced AS, who just couldn't get near him. That's quite a pair of psychological wounds, even making allowances for the fact that today's climb was short and steep, and unlike what they will face in the Pyrenees.

AS might just decide that racing for second is smarter than racing for first and ending up in seventh or eighth. Who'd blame him?

Those more in the know than me seem to think that Schleck is better at the long grinding climbs, bertie has the acceleration on the steep stuff.

If true Andy has to take advantage of that and "put time into"* AC in the Pyrenees, as he is toast in the TT

* bl00dy ridiculous phrase
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

+1!

Couldn't have said it better!

Especially about Sky. And the Irish guy rides a Kuota, Yay!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:

Yep, AS looked like he was pedalling through treacle (relative to AC, but not to mere mortals) shortly after AC attacked. I didn't buy AS's explanation that he couldn't get into a rhythm on the climb.

I'd like to see AS race for first. Was it Poulidor who always came second?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    Does Levi Leiphimer's (sp?) position on GC scupper LA's scope for a stage win?

It would seem to make more sense for him to act as super domestique to get his man into 3rd place.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp

It would seem to make more sense for him to act as super domestique to get his man into 3rd place.

Unless he's seriously resting his muscles ahead of the mountains to help LL, his form suggests Levi's on his Jack Jones when the road goes up. He looks a shadow of last year, let alone previous years.

Good to Roche have a go on the final climb.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    Hmmmmm
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm really loving this tour.

I love the tension between AC and AS. Neither of them can have a bad day, neither can make a mistake. It'll probably end as an Anti-climax, Schlek (sp) can't rival AC on the TT but until then I'm loving the cat and mouse games. It's a great duel and hopefully end up being a great sporting rivalry
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's a great duel and hopefully end up being a great sporting rivalry

On Eurosport today, Harmon said there was a rumour that they would be on the same team next year (Saxo Bank ending this year and all that).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Could be more mind games. That said, it looked like the majority of Saxo Bank had the day off today. Tomorrow could see the return of the Fabian and Jens show ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The giro was much better FACT!

There i've said it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    itboffin wrote:

There i've said it.

Agree the tour is ORDINARY in comparison to the Giro this year.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    itboffin wrote:

There i've said it.

Agree the tour is ORDINARY in comparison to the Giro this year.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ouch!

Could you get any worse time for a mechanical.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Poor show indeed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Contador should have waited. I hope Schleck comes back - he looks in brilliant form!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Gussio wrote:
    Contador should have waited...

Following my questions from last week I'd have expected the same.
    Naughty little Spaniard, I bet he claims he didn't know Schleck had a mechanical!
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Didn't like Contador before. Like him even less now.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Agent57 wrote:
    Didn't like Contador before. Like him even less now.

+1.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Winning at all costs a no no in cycling then?

I'm not saying I agree with what Contador did, I haven't seen it, I'm just asking.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Winning at all costs a no no in cycling then?

I'm not saying I agree with what Contador did, I haven't seen it, I'm just asking.

It depends, attacking the MJ when you know he has a mechanical is a definate no no.

And on the grounds Berti was behind Andy by several metres at the time of the mechancial I don't believe that he was unaware - despite what he says
  • tailwindhome
    Funny thing about ettiquette(sp?) in sport..where do the lines get drawn

Do sprinters wait at the line if their rivals crash?

Did any of the top 15 wait for Nicolas Roche when his front wheel punctured?

Seems to me that for Contador to wait, Sanchez and Menchov would have had to wait also. That must have been an interesting conversation.

Contador should have set on Sanchez/ Menchovs wheels and let them dictate the pace.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hmm, tricky. Didn't see it live but searched youtube. Possible that vino was obscuring AC's view of the initial incident. Afterwards (after the initial attack) it looked like he was soft-padalling until Menchov and Sanchez went past:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9OR-Pz2Yk

Need to see more footage before I fully castigate AC. Luckily, I've got the itv4 coverage recorded...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides