Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    anton1r wrote:
    Cheers Eau Rouge,
    I'm still not sure I understand why/how they get away with, slow pedal protest in general rather than just getting on with it as surely it makes a bit of a mockery of the competitive nature of the race and why the race organisers don't just tell them to get on with it.
    Going back to F1 I cant see Bernie Eccleston standing for it if the drivers decided to go slow/not race because of a bumpy/slick bit of track (not that i imagine they would). but if that's just the way it is in cycling where the Peloton sticks together then fair enough, i guess that kind of camaraderie with competitors isn't a bad thing (Footballers, rolling around "injured" and waving imaginary cards at the ref I'm looking at you!) :)

Anyway today's stage has been a bit dull so far, here's hoping for some excitement at the finish! Predictions? Cav will be there... he kinda needs it for the green.

The F1 drivers do complain about tracks, the difference is they can do it after Friday and measures can be taken, such as them not liking some of the new kerbs at Silverstone last weekend and them being changed after the Friday. The cyclists don't always have that luxury.

These go-slows are few and far between, mainly limited to the Giro or Tour due to their changing routes and desire from the organisers to make "interesting" stages. The rest of the calendar is more settled so isn't usually a problem. Even in the GT's it's rare enough to see.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Fair point on the F1 tracks Eau Rouge hadn't considered that.

Another Win for Cav, more points in the bank. Sitting 4th now and slowly creeping up on Petacci/Hushovd/Farrar.

Not sure there's enough for him to catch up enough to win the green though.

Will Renshaw be punished for "head butting" Dean? What sort of repercussions can we expect to see if any?
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    anton1r wrote:
    Will Renshaw be punished for "head butting" Dean? What sort of repercussions can we see if any?
    Maybe. Last time I saw that sort of thing it was McEwen on O'Grady. McEwen got relegated (placed last in the group) on the stage. He may possibly have been fined as well. I think another sanction they could hand down would be a deduction of green jersey points. They do the latter if the autobus finishes outside the time limit on mountain stages.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    spasypaddy wrote:
    renshaw has been expelled from the tour :(
    Just heard that. Sheez. A slight overreaction, methinks. The commissaires really don't like Cavendish winning all the time ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    no theyve really got something against him. i think its because hes outspoken and english. bloody french
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I go for dinner just after the end of the race and by the time I'm back this :shock:
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Yeah I've just seen this on LA twitter account. Will def be watching the highlights on ITV4 this evening.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Eau Rouge
    Steephill.tv has links up. I like the Sporza ones in Dutch, even though I don't speak a word of it.:)
    http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube ... =640&h=380
    (last 5 km)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I dunno - it looked awfully like he was trying to stop the guy riding him into the barrier. It was a deliberate attempt to bloke Cavendish
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    well, to be honest, its not like they can give the victory to Farrar who looked on course to winning. I think its fair and square, Cav should be ok without him too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    An overreaction. Any penalty for Dean?

Out of interest, what did they do about the two riders fighting with wheels the other day?...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:

Out of interest, what did they do about the two riders fighting with wheels the other day?...
    Read somewhere about a 400euro fine for the pugilists...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Cav will just have to step up the 'using other people's lead-outs' thing- Renshaw was doing that already.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    gabriel959 wrote:
    well, to be honest, its not like they can give the victory to Farrar who looked on course to winning. I think its fair and square, Cav should be ok without him too.

Dunno about that. From the overhead shot it looked like Farrar had zero chance of catching Cav, let alone passing him, even if Renshaw had disappeared in a puff of smoke.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Eau Rouge
    cjcp wrote:

That was after the stage had ended, rather than at 40mph just in front of the entire field.
    The DSQ still seems harsh
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

That was after the stage had ended, rather than at 40mph just in front of the entire field.
    The DSQ still seems harsh

True, but, to use the organisers' analogy, that was more of a gladitor-style smack down than yesterday's incidenct (during which, no-one came down and Farrer felt confident enough to take his hands off the bars and put them on Renshaw's thigh/backside).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Renshaw should have just pulled a wheelie, popped his front wheel off and clattered Dean with, thus allowing Cav to win the sprint and only earning a €400 fine instead of expulsion.

Simples!
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If Renshaw was a French national or riding on a French team, would the Commissaires still have sent him home....? Probably not.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm still amazed at the fact that he had the skill and agility to headbutt someone while riding in a straight line. It looked like something out of wildlife on one...

Such bike handling should be commended, no? I'm going to try it when sprinting at the lights....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    2 years in a row! What will the officials do next year to sabotage Cav?
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • spasypaddy
    im hearing reports that next year cav will have to race with a parachute off his back
  • Eau Rouge
    stickman wrote:
    2 years in a row! What will the officials do next year to sabotage Cav?

Dental surgery seems to work.
  • jonginge
    Got to admire the god of thunder...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Eau Rouge
    JonGinge wrote:

Nice job by Bole to beat him to the 6 pts.
  • jonginge
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Nice job by Bole to beat him to the 6 pts.
    Indeed. Will be interesting to see how that worked out in the highlights show later
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I just can't believe some of the reaction here.
    Paranoia ftw.
    Renshaw's been disqualified mostly for what happened AFTER the headbutt.
    ie coming from the middle to pile Farrar on the barrier.

Wonder what peeps would stay here if it had been "the perfect Cav" on the receiving end.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • spasypaddy
    holy, i saw an immediate interview with cav yesterday before he even knew that renshaw had been DQd, during this interview the commisar came and told cav that renshaw was being DQd because of and solely because of the headbutt. Now what also gets me is the comissar at the same time said they made this decision after only watching the action ONCE. and they had made the decision in the time it took for cav to do his podium kissing and walk off it.

they've since added in the other indiscretion because they have realised they are in the wrong and didnt want to back down.

other riders have headbutted before, and not had these repercussions. its the wrong decision. he deserves punishing for dangerous play but then so does Dean for attempting to ride into their line but guess what he gets away with it because the commisar only seems to punish Cav and his team.

Relegate him, yes it wont matter as his sole aim is to protect and aid cav in the win but its still a punishment of some kind and a big fine. to send him home is an over reaction and a half. especially as people were allowed to hit each other with wheels and get a mere £250 fine.

disgraceful decision.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cheese eating surrender monkeys what do you expect?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.