Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Looks like it's going to be carnage today...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    First break is away (about 15s lead), includes Sastre, Vino, Armstrong and Wiggins.

Have Saxobank permitted any racing today?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ...and this is where I stop reading this thread for the rest of the day.... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    But with 60k of downhill and flat to race after the last climb, can't really see the overall classification being reshuffled at the top.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why are they climbing the Col du Tourmalet twice in one tour?

Is Armstrong looking for a stage win?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why are they climbing the Col du Tourmalet twice in one tour?

Is Armstrong looking for a stage win?

Probably part of the whole 100years of the Pyrennes in the TDF celebration.

Yes, so are Wiggins and Sastre......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why is Thor Hushovd attacking the peleton up a mountain (I thought he was a sprinter).

What was Contador and Schleck talking about.

Ah man...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    Thor is probably trying to get into Armstrong's group to have a crack at the 2 intermediate sprints on the run in.

Remember his Alpine excursion in 2009?

Or he has gone quite mad.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Thor is probably trying to get into Armstrong's group to have a crack at the 2 intermediate sprints on the run in.

Remember his Alpine excursion in 2009?

Or he has gone quite mad.
    The former I reckon. ;)

There's also the possibility that Petacchi's tour may end prematurely:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/petacch ... n-in-italy
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    From a text to the BBC Live Commentary
    When this route was run in 1969, a 24-year-old debutant already in the yellow jersey attacked at the top of the Tourmalet, then on the descent oft he Tourmalet and climb of the Aubisque took eight minutes out of every other rider and held that lead to the finish. Would be nice to see Contador do the same but I don't think he is quite in the class of Eddy Merckx
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    convinced that there was a delay when just after AC goes past AS when he looks round to see what happened

On other forum's there is a school of thought that AS fluffed a gear change...and tough luck basically
    Is learning to maintain your bike not part of learning to ride
    I don't see it. He went in the first place, which was even more opportunist than attacking his main rival against pre-agreed (even if you don't agree with them) team tactics last year. I didn't see any slowing, other than to collect Vino, and anything over and above that is over interpretation.

Kate Garroway has the lowest IQ of any Breakfast TV presenter.
  • tailwindhome
    1548: Right then, we are fast reaching the business end of today' stage. Carlos Barredo is now about 30 seconds clear, with 21km left. The eight riders behind him are slowly closing in on the Spaniard, and contemplating their own strategy for being the first man over the line.

LA still one of the 8

1540: Thor Hushovd is still in the main bunch with Contador and co, and could be in green tonight if he can pick up some points in the sprint to the finish in Pau. Alessandro Petacchi, who was dropped early, currently leads the points classification with 187 points, two ahead of the Norwegian... but he can still realistically finish 10th today, and will pick up five points if he does so. Britain's Mark Cavendish is also back in the 'autobus' by the way.

Even the most pasionate Cav fan has to admire this guy.

I hope he wins the Green jersey
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    AS does have a chain guard. According to one of the Saxo Bank mechanics it bent.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

hmm. I'd admire Thor more if he won the odd sprint against another sprinter now and again.

and I'm a complete neutral in terms of teams and riders

I see Schleck was continuing his it fair to stop but only when it suits me petulance by not joining in at the front with the other jerseys today. grow up you whiny tart.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Good programme on itv4 today, scenery, atmosphere, and Lance up front.

And nice to see 'Captain Cardboard' apologizing on youtube.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

hmm. I'd admire Thor more if he won the odd sprint against another sprinter now and again.

As a sprinter, maybe. But the Green jersey isn't specifically about sprinters. As I recall, the Green "points" jersey is more about the most consistent finisher. I suppose it's just a side effect that sprinters are most likely to finish up the field on flatter stages that they are associated with the Green jersey. I do admire the way Hushovd goes out to get the sprint points en route, but really I wish they didn't count towards Green. They should bring back the sprint-specific Red jersey for those (the old "Catch" sprints, some may recall). Mind you, I think the Red jersey intermediate sprint points also counted towards the Green.

As for jerseys, I miss the Combine as well.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0

I've gone from lukewarm to quite a big Thor fan (really because of his epic solo ride in the mountains last year to prove a point after Cav was dq'd and collect a boatload of points). Thing is, CTT has *no* lead out train for him. Pettachi has been successful because he's fast, and also because he has an excellent lead out team organized in Lampre, which is prepared to mix it up with and disrupt HTC. Thor, OTOH, is basically living off other people's scraps, and doing pretty well on it.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:

I've gone from lukewarm to quite a big Thor fan (really because of his epic solo ride in the mountains last year to prove a point after Cav was dq'd and collect a boatload of points). Thing is, CTT has *no* lead out train for him. Pettachi has been successful because he's fast, and also because he has an excellent lead out team organized in Lampre, which is prepared to mix it up with and disrupt HTC. Thor, OTOH, is basically living off other people's scraps, and doing pretty well on it.

<gripe mode ON> There are two guys on Giants who do this very successfully on Embankment, too. <gripe mode OFF>

I missed yesterday's fun completely.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    Rest day.

Meh!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I hate rest days.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    My seven year old daughter saw a guy in a polka dot jersey today. She immediately said "That's the king of the mountains, good on the hills"

*proud*
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rest day.

Meh!

I know what a bunch of big Jessie's :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You have to love the “Love LA” stench on here. It’s amusing to say the least.

And the crappy live feed from the BBC, of course Contador is not in the same class as Eddy, neither was LA in his glory years or anyone else for that matter.

Regarding the incident, I go for what Hinault, Fignon, Sanchez and many other riders have said. It’s a f*cking race mate! And learn how to change gears mate!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • tailwindhome
    gabriel959 wrote:

I was quite enjoying enjoying a thread were people could air their views without being lambasted.

Pro Race may be the forum you are looking for.

And the crappy live feed from the BBC

The live feed is the same as this thread, you want to improve it then make a contribution.

You are however off to a poor start.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    gabriel959 wrote:

And the crappy live feed from the BBC, of course Contador is not in the same class as Eddy, neither was LA in his glory years or anyone else for that matter.

Regarding the incident, I go for what Hinault, Fignon, Sanchez and many other riders have said. It’s a f*cking race mate! And learn how to change gears mate!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bet you used to support Leeds United when they were good as well.

It's doubtful anyone will ever dominate the sport like Merckx did. Not sure who'd argue the contrary.

Hinault - ha. A man who owes one of his Tour wins to ordering his teammate, Lemond, to back off. Not so much of a race that year.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gabriel959
    I kinda expected those answers. Never supported Leeds United, bunch of dirty scum.

BBC Live Feed and forum – I have done both, not that it’s going to make a difference. I have actually complained to the BBC about the live commentary as I reckon it’s a bloody rip-off, they barely update the thing, and when they do, they spout some random, baseless crap or even better, lets have a wank about the latest LA move and his lack of “luck”.

My point about the BBC feed is that they try every single opportunity to have a dig at AC, just because LA behaved like an idiot last year (and part of this one) on Twitter.

I know about that Hinault moment, and I still agree with it.

Lets hope he gets done for doping for once and for all. Seems likely one with the WSJ and WADA pressing on. Never thought I’ll say this but Landis FTUW :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Lets hope he gets done for doping for once and for all. Seems likely one with the WSJ and WADA pressing on.

This is a genuine question, but suppose the Feds enquiry ended up clearing LA of doping. Would you (a) accept that verdict; or (b) claim that it's all a conspiracy and LA must be guilty but he's got to the important people, etc, etc.

Kinda wondering how BikingBernie sees this, but maybe I'll leave that...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gabriel959
    Greg66 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Lets hope he gets done for doping for once and for all. Seems likely one with the WSJ and WADA pressing on.

This is a genuine question, but suppose the Feds enquiry ended up clearing LA of doping. Would you (a) accept that verdict; or (b) claim that it's all a conspiracy and LA must be guilty but he's got to the important people, etc, etc.

Kinda wondering how BikingBernie sees this, but maybe I'll leave that...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    I actually agree with Paul Kimmage, LA is the cancer of cycling.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    gabriel959 wrote:

I was quite enjoying enjoying a thread were people could air their views without being lambasted.

Pro Race may be the forum you are looking for.

+1 :roll: