Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

18910111214»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I know I don't know much but...

For all the reasons Andy Schleck was criticised for expecting Contador to wait during chain gate and for all the reasons Contador was criticised for not contesting the tourmalet (sp). I like Cavendish.

Sure he's a prat who throws his helmet down when he doesn't win but isn't that the point, it's a race you're not there to be liked or to be best friends with the guy next to you. Your there to compete and win.

And this brings me to the final stage. If I was Schleck I'd forget all the unwritten niceness. It's a race I'd contest it too the line. Winners/Champions don't wait, no one remembers how it was won, just the name of who won it.

But he won't and while I hugely enjoyed this Tour over last years, I'm left feeling it could have been more competitive.

(It'll be interesting to see if Schleck waits should Contador have a mechanical)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I think someone needs to say it but I think Cav is the best pure sprinter ever. And he is only what, 23 or 24? Scary!
    Sprinters come and go. Others have dominated for periods in the past, and there is absolutely no way you can call Cav the best ever, any more than you can claim that Contador is the best ever. They are both too young to tell.

The sprinting field is quite weak at the moment. The fact that someone as old as Alessandro P is the second best should tell you that there is a bit of a tallent vacuum (i.e. about 12 years' worth). Its not like you have Cippo v Zabel is it?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    CAVENDEEESH!

Immense sprint on the champs once again. The margin was huge
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I think someone needs to say it but I think Cav is the best pure sprinter ever. And he is only what, 23 or 24? Scary!
    Sprinters come and go. Others have dominated for periods in the past, and there is absolutely no way you can call Cav the best ever, any more than you can claim that Contador is the best ever. They are both too young to tell.

The sprinting field is quite weak at the moment. The fact that someone as old as Alessandro P is the second best should tell you that there is a bit of a tallent vacuum (i.e. about 12 years' worth). Its not like you have Cippo v Zabel is it?

Cippolini (sp.?) never completed a Grand Tour though, did he? So this might partly explain why Zabel won as many jerseys as he did?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I didn't know that he hadn't finished any Giros either. Are you sure?

Good point - Zabel was the Husovd of his day, but better. Zabel won a few jollies into San Remo, for example.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I felt pretty sorry for Thor today. He plainly doesn't have his sprinting powers this year following illness and injury. Phil and Paul were suggesting that if he finished in the top three, he could take the green jersey. If so, when they broke for the line today, he must have thought he had a chance to pull it off..

And then he got swallowed up by a bunch of riders who, like him, simply can't stay within 20 metres of Cav.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    JonGinge wrote:
    CAVENDEEESH!

Moment of the tour for me: ITV 4 commentators saying "is Hushovd going produce a surprise victory?" as you look alongside them and him in the lead

Then this Cavendish shaped bullet went whipping past on the inside like they were all standing still. :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    CAVENDEEESH!

Moment of the tour for me: ITV 4 commentators saying "is Hushovd going produce a surprise victory?" as you look alongside them and him in the lead

Then this Cavendish shaped bullet went whipping past on the inside like they were all standing still. :D

Pretty much the same on Eurosport :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Your wish was granted. No lesson expert than Chris Boardman called Cavendish "the Greatest Sprinter Ever". It's not just that he wins but the margin. That sprint to day was phenominal - it really was like a bullet from a gun he just took off. Hugely impressed :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    CAVENDEEESH!

Pretty much the same on Eurosport :D

That was epic, the camera zoomed in for a close shot as the two men went wheel to wheel for the win only for a manx missile to leave them going backwards!