Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Is Cav really going for the green, or just for wins? Today he all but stopped as soon as he saw the win had slipped from his grasp. Made me think he's already given up.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    Is Cav really going for the green, or just for wins? Today he all but stopped as soon as he saw the win had slipped from his grasp. Made me think he's already given up.

+1
    He didn't stand a chance against Petacci's acceleration but to me it looked like he knew Hushovd was behind him and sat up before he was passed.
    He needs a scouser perm. That's what he's missing.

It's like Liverpool need at least two 'taches in the in the team before the league title comes home.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cav doesn't seem on form, but HTC don't seem to have the lead out train needed to keep the pace high either.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    For me the highlight of yesterday's highlights on ITV4 was the segment on the Sky team bus. I found it fascinating. Would like to see more of the tactical stuff that goes on in the background (and I'm not referring to blood in fridges).
  • Zabel said it all yesterday when he gave his take on Cav's performance.
    "...we just didn't have Cavendish's sprinting legs."

He's having a bad year. He'll be back next year.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Gussio wrote:
    For me the highlight of yesterday's highlights on ITV4 was the segment on the Sky team bus. I found it fascinating.

Nah, it just made the world of pro cycling look like any other boring corporate boardroom with a cliched powerpoint presentation about 'dreams'.

It burst my bubble - I imagined a team bus to be full of Swedish masseurs.
  • cjcp
    Zabel said it all yesterday when he gave his take on Cav's performance.

Not sure it's just him though. I think the lead out team is weaker this year - Cav only seemed to have Renshaw yesterday - and it's possible that Zabel doesn't want to admit that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    cjcp wrote:
    Zabel said it all yesterday when he gave his take on Cav's performance.

Not sure it's just him though. I think the lead out team is weaker this year - Cav only seemed to have Renshaw yesterday - and it's possible that Zabel doesn't want to admit that.

How would a stronger team have helped? It seemed to me that Renshaw delivered Cav to the line, he just didn't have the speed in his legs to finish the job.

Not knocking Cav BTW, his lack of form is hardly suprising, his season has been a mess.
    1135: And we're down to 188 riders as the race lost one of its little fighters on stage four. Spain's Amets Txurruka, who rides for Euskaltel and was judged the most combative rider on his debut 2007 Tour, had a spill early on in stage four and rode the remaining 120km or so to the finish in some pain - turns out he'd broken his collarbone.

The very definition of MTFU

Oh and Wiggins crashed today...... in the neutralized zone.

Will Cancellara insist they walk their bikes through tomorrow's neutralized zone?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    El Gordo wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    For me the highlight of yesterday's highlights on ITV4 was the segment on the Sky team bus. I found it fascinating.

Nah, it just made the world of pro cycling look like any other boring corporate boardroom with a cliched powerpoint presentation about 'dreams'.

It burst my bubble - I imagined a team bus to be full of Swedish masseurs.

:lol: Spot on.

Just like our AGM it didn't look like any of the riders were listening - they know their jobs by that point. It doesn't surprise me that Team Sky would spout that sort of shyte tho.

Besides, everyone knows the tactics are decided the night before over a beer and a game of Red Dead Redemption.
  • King Donut
    How would a stronger team have helped? It seemed to me that Renshaw delivered Cav to the line, he just didn't have the speed in his legs to finish the job.

Not knocking Cav BTW, his lack of form is hardly suprising, his season has been a mess.

I only saw it quickly, but it looked like Renshaw didn't deliver him with great speed because he didn't get much help in the lead up.

But also Cav doesn't seem to be there mentally. Says he wants to go for green but then twice now he's given up on points when he knows he isn't gonna win the stage.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    andy83 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice the bike Chris Boardman was riding in his piece to the camera describing the finish of stage one.

Black frame but no decals/ branding?

A prototype?
    Another brand 'blacked out'?
    A Boardman, but not allowed the product placement?

it looked like a boardman to me and just the brand covered with tape, not sure whyh though

Not seen anyone else mention this, it aint a current model boardman. the back is different, it looks suspiciously cervelo esque.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Orleandrew wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice the bike Chris Boardman was riding in his piece to the camera describing the finish of stage one.

A prototype?

it looked like a boardman to me and just the brand covered with tape, not sure whyh though

From his twitter:
    "More interestingly, taking a prototype frame to the TdF :-) looking forward to using that!"

"why did your boardman bike not have any of the stickers on? > Not allowed, ITV rules "

http://twitter.com/Chris_Boardman

Oops my bad.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    Does anyone else get real bad bike envy watching the tdf?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... or-hushovd

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/sax ... k-brothers

I wouldn't even need mine custom-painted really, i'm not fussy.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Gussio wrote:
    For me the highlight of yesterday's highlights on ITV4 was the segment on the Sky team bus. I found it fascinating. Would like to see more of the tactical stuff that goes on in the background (and I'm not referring to blood in fridges).
    Is it just me, or is the whole "blue line" thing that Brailsford bangs on about just a bit creepy?

Looking to my eyes not around the eyes into the eyes - you love Sky. You will do anything for Sky. You think Bradley Wiggins has a hope in hell. I'm not a small bald man, and - you are back in the room.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Does anyone else get real bad bike envy watching the tdf?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... or-hushovd

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/sax ... k-brothers

I wouldn't even need mine custom-painted really, i'm not fussy.

Not really, tbh. But Cancellara's Roubaix SL3 (well, sort of- not the same as the production bike, apparently) was nice.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • cjcp
    King Donut wrote:

I only saw it quickly, but it looked like Renshaw didn't deliver him with great speed because he didn't get much help in the lead up.

But also Cav doesn't seem to be there mentally. Says he wants to go for green but then twice now he's given up on points when he knows he isn't gonna win the stage.

That.

Compare it to last year when Cav had Hincapie then Renshaw to take him to the line.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

That.

Compare it to last year when Cav had Hincapie then Renshaw to take him to the line.

I see what you are both saying

Though I think if Renshaw was going any faster in those last 200m Cav wouldn't have got round him at all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • King Donut
    I see what you are both saying

Though I think if Renshaw was going any faster in those last 200m Cav wouldn't have got round him at all.

You may well be right. Cav looked a spent force well before the line. He'd had to do more work, nearer to the front than normal on the run in.

I seem to remember a few of people tucking in behind Cav about 800 meters to go. So basically he got used as a lead out?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    That's more like it!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    D'ya think he was happy with that? :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Huzzah!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    prawny wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

A prototype?

From his twitter:
    "More interestingly, taking a prototype frame to the TdF :-) looking forward to using that!"

"why did your boardman bike not have any of the stickers on? > Not allowed, ITV rules "

http://twitter.com/Chris_Boardman

Oops my bad.

lol, thought it was a boardman, come on he wouldnt ride any other bike when he has his own would he, hardly a good selling point

Great to see cav win, legs looked back

I completely agree about the team, to be honest i think the lead out train was all wrong yesterday, it was a tight course in the last few km's and htc got themself caught up in traffic

nice to see Cav getting emotional aswell, shows what it meant to him
  • Gussio
    Nice to see positive emotion rather than throwing his bike and helmet on the ground by the team bus :wink:

Well done Cav!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    King Donut wrote:

You may well be right. Cav looked a spent force well before the line. He'd had to do more work, nearer to the front than normal on the run in.
    ?

I thought he's seen the other guy (Hincape?) go and realised it wasn't worth chasing down.. seemed Cav thought he'd missed his window...

that's just how I saw it... today he got it right
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    Great ride by Renshaw...basically using Garmin as a surrogate lead out train for himself and Cav and fighting off Thor to keep his place.

Then Cav had the legs and desire to get the job done

Great stuff!

That EBH looks a great rider. Can he climb?

Not sure if Cav will finish the race. Depends on how important Paris is and HTC's thoughts on the best way to prepare him for the remainder of the season.
  • Gussio
    Looked like a huge amount of relief for Cav to win today. He was choking back the tears in the post-race interview. This side of him is much more likeable than some of the arrogance he displayed last year.
  • cjcp
    Great effort. What I found amazing (and what you only really see from the aerial view) was that he was pulling away from Ciolek and EBH!

Fingers crossed for Geraint Thomas being able to climb tomorrow...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Don't believe so. Hope not - he kept winning stages in the Tour of Britain last year and listening to him post stage was painful - somebody made a pact with the devil and swapped his personality for sprinters legs :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Great ride by Renshaw...basically using Garmin as a surrogate lead out train for himself and Cav and fighting off Thor to keep his place.

Then Cav had the legs and desire to get the job done

Great stuff!

Not sure if Cav will finish the race. Depends on how important Paris is and HTC's thoughts on the best way to prepare him for the remainder of the season.

What's the rest of the season for a sprinter? Nothing as big as the Champs Elysess, except the Worlds and it isn't a great course for Cav this year. He could go to Spain I guess, but think he'd prefer to tough out the Tour and get to Paris. Great win yesterday anyway, another one of those today and the gap to Thor will close - maybe, just maybe....

More fingers crossed here for Thomas tomorrow, and Wiggins as well.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Fingers crossed for Geraint Thomas being able to climb tomorrow...
    With a name like that, I'm hoping that he has had a bit of previous experience cycling up hills.