south wales Rides?

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Driving allt he way from london to do one trail :o

Thats desperation for decent riding that is :p
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Well, a true Sunday warrior. Thanks for info WelshGiant. I've heard that there is some shortcut to Skyline's descent via Whites climb worth riding? Correct me if Im wrong.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    :lol: Me hoping to get up to GC tomorrow around lunch time. If so, hoping to do a mix of all the trails. Around 4 hrs of steady paced riding :oops: :wink:
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    christk wrote:
    :lol: Me hoping to get up to GC tomorrow around lunch time. If so, hoping to do a mix of all the trails. Around 4 hrs of steady paced riding :oops: :wink:

Paced riding? Is that normal human pace or your pace, because you're pace isn't even a human pace, you will kill someone one day I swear :lol:
  • Anyone up for doing an early evening ride up white levels sometime this week?

At around half 5-6ish one day?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

It's not so bad when London is only 2 to 3 hours down the M4.

Would be even better if you didn't charge us for getting out of the country! :P

Only done Afan once myself (just Whites) and that was a day trip. Seems a long way for the one trail, but we seemed to spend the entire day doing Whites anyway :D

Anyway, might be a bunch of us coming over the BH weekend. Popstar maybe up for it? ;)

That'll be another crazy "there and back in a day" effort.
  • popstar
    Whites isn't bad at all climbing wise, steady slow paced climb with few stops in-between took around 50minutes. Descent is faster obviously, somehow black run seemed a bit tame. Maybe cos of dry weather?

People please give advice, so the best bit in Afan is Whites then break at Glyncowrg. From where do I/We have to head for last bit of Skyline section? Is it the same climb of Whites then head off from section 18 towards Skyline way or am I wrong?

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    Yes you can do it that way.

However, you could turn right when you get to the top of the ramp from the ponds, instead of going into the forestry and head for Glyncorrwg. When you get to the village cross the road so that the phone box is on your right. Then take the second left lane which goes up behind the semi-detached houses and heads up the valley. This track leads up to the forestry (route 47). Once on this fire road which is a straight climb you will see the Skyline trail cross the road just before the top. You could join it there or if you carry on around the corner and to your right you can pick another part of single track of the Skyline trail.
  • Thewaylander
    deadkenny wrote:

It's not so bad when London is only 2 to 3 hours down the M4.

Would be even better if you didn't charge us for getting out of the country! :P

Only done Afan once myself (just Whites) and that was a day trip. Seems a long way for the one trail, but we seemed to spend the entire day doing Whites anyway :D

Anyway, might be a bunch of us coming over the BH weekend. Popstar maybe up for it? ;)

Yeh but whites s like 18km.. it really is just half a trail, to me Afan has 2 trails currently W2 and Skyline the rest are just short cuts :p

That'll be another crazy "there and back in a day" effort.
  • popstar
    Christk, as I am bad with directions hope your words will go into Dkenny's ears. At least he is the bestest navigation man in our group with all gadgets tracking ID-ing trails.

• popstar wrote:
    Whites isn't bad at all climbing wise, steady slow paced climb with few stops in-between took around 50minutes. Descent is faster obviously, somehow black run seemed a bit tame. Maybe cos of dry weather?

People please give advice, so the best bit in Afan is Whites then break at Glyncowrg. From where do I/We have to head for last bit of Skyline section? Is it the same climb of Whites then head off from section 18 towards Skyline way or am I wrong?

Mate

Skyline is easy to find.

few ways to do the final part of Skyline.

Do whites climb, on the last section there is a post to you righthand side and this will bring you onto skylines best bit but is some way down and it and misses sections.

Second option do the climb in total once you come to the gate at the end of the climb you come out on a fire road, turn right on this and follow it until the fire road goes down a bit, at this point there will be another fire road on your right that goes fairly steeply down, about 100 meters down this you will see a trail on your righhand side with the Skyline waymark. this is the start of the last section of Skyline.
    If you do this at least make it interesting and do the black run first, once your back up the fire road you are by the end of the climb as mentioned above.

third option follow Skyline sign posts from top of climb keep going after the section called " Granada " there are 2 posts one pointing up and the other down. take the down , this is quite a cool down and this then sets you up to get to the last sections, this is a 22km loop.
    On a day trip this is what we always do whites in AM plus black, Skyline july in Pm Plus black.

I would suggest option 2 for your trip, also if you go on MTB wales you can print off the PDF of the Map of the trail . On the map you can see the piece of fire road that i mean, find the " deadwood " on the map, then follow the red and black marked track towards point 66, the white line is the fire road that goes steeply down and point 66 is the start of Skylines excellent final downs.

If you need anything more give me a buzz.

Also Pm me and we can sort out a mid week ride.
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • Thewaylander
    Shame your all missing out on the wall mind.

The wals final decents bury the ither trails for pure speed and fun on a dry day, though slippery when wet. Just do a W2 loop starting at afan visitors centre, then stop half way round at glyncorryg for the good cafe, then plough back in the afternoon to the car.
  • popstar
    Nahh, the only thing on -Y Wall- is good to mention is Graveyards rockgarden* but ZigZag isn't bad at all. IMO not worth it, but many riders may think otherwise.

• Thewaylander
    Many many, the last peice of the wall is the best flowing high speed single track in wales to my mind. though in the wet it becomes greasy. I personally don't like the graveyard after the first few hundred yards
  • Shame your all missing out on the wall mind.

The wals final decents bury the ither trails for pure speed and fun on a dry day, though slippery when wet. Just do a W2 loop starting at afan visitors centre, then stop half way round at glyncorryg for the good cafe, then plough back in the afternoon to the car.

IMO the wall is boring other than the last down IMO the trails as whole ride rank as follows, think whites is the best then skyline july, w2 , penhyd , wall,whole skyline( too much fireroad)

I do agree that the last section of the wall is awesome but its not better than the last down of skyline .
    One thing all the trails are bloddy good though and it does depend on what you ride :D
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • Thewaylander
    Full sus cos i'm old. And white's is a good one day trail but it lacks depths, and most of the downs are too pedally and don't flow particularly well. but hey ho we all have our favourites. Afan has loads better floatting around with the local mind rather than just the trail centers ;p
  • First ride in 3 weeks on Friday so myself and Axle decided to take it easy and do W2 :x

Have done it before alone, but that was in a month where I was riding 3 times a week, after 3 weeks of not eating right, not sleeping right and no riding (new baby explains all 3) it was tough, even more so with the heat. Can't say we rushed, just took it easy and ensured we had enough energy to get around.

Looking forward to doing it again next week.
  • Anyone doing any riding up afan on sunday may be up for a spin, anyone else?
  • prob doing Skyline to prepare for 75 k marathon the following weekend.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    prob doing Skyline to prepare for 75 k marathon the following weekend.

haha same plan as me, i did my 1st off road ride yesterday after over 2 months off (big crash-had to have surgery)
    but i got around Cwmcarn in 1hr 3 in the damp-so my fitness aint too bad

just gotta check and i can still do long off road rides now, so gonna do 3 or 4 hours around Afan-will do the wall, whytes and the mast trail in one go i think. im going saturday not sunday tho
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Screwed now, Put my back out :( with my new shiny bike as well :(
  • rhyko7
    whos riding s.wales this wkend-where ?
    i cant decide where to ride tomorrow-may go ride some DH for 1st time in ages

my riding:

• Hi....I'm not from your area....but i have a tent and will travel although proberly not till next spring!

I've joined the Facebook group...will you be sending out invites to any rides though that and if i'm down your way,will one of your lot show us around? :lol:....i'm willing to return the favour i....i'm part of the Wyre Forest group...we also have a facebook page it's under "Wyre forest Mtb trails"

I'm on a ride to do Cwncarm on Nov 21st if any you would like to join us??
    Biking whore of Wyre....rides with anyone!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    rhyko7 wrote:
    whos riding s.wales this wkend-where ?
    i cant decide where to ride tomorrow-may go ride some DH for 1st time in ages

your arm all better now then mate?

i haven't had a day off for 3 weeks so i haven't ridden for ages!! :( :shock:

i might be fit enough to tackle cwm again by the 21st november :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Just cruised round Cwm today,

And may be around Nov :p just need to get me some winter gloves at the moment ready! lol
  • rhyko7
    sassysarah wrote:
    Hi....I'm not from your area....but i have a tent and will travel although proberly not till next spring!

I've joined the Facebook group...will you be sending out invites to any rides though that and if i'm down your way,will one of your lot show us around? :lol:....i'm willing to return the favour i....i'm part of the Wyre Forest group...we also have a facebook page it's under "Wyre forest Mtb trails"

I'm on a ride to do Cwncarm on Nov 21st if any you would like to join us??

Yeah sure i can show ya around, i know a few trails and routes that you wouldn't find without local knowledge.-what kinda riding would you want to do?

your arm all better now then mate?

i haven't had a day off for 3 weeks so i haven't ridden for ages!! Sad Shocked

i might be fit enough to tackle cwm again by the 21st november Laughing

Arms not too bad now, just staying away from high speed DH stuff for a while longer, any xc or trail riding is fine tho.
    I rode Cwmcarn yesterday morning-had icy patches here and there which was a bit hairy especially on the finishing descent.took me hour and 5 mins with chunky tyres, so my fitness is pretty good at the mo for some reason lol
    we need to organise a ride :wink:

my riding:

• Thewaylander
    Hour and 5 is nice, though i have to push a bit to it now on me Dune R, bit chunkier on the climbs but so much more fun on the downs.

We need to organise a locals Cwm ride at some point so we can all meet!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    we should organise a ride. but with how fit i am right now, i'll still be on the climb whilst you guys are in the car park at the end :oops: :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Group rides are about fun, not speed, so cruise up slow, party at the top, then take the miky on the way down..
  • rhyko7
    Group rides are about fun, not speed, so cruise up slow, party at the top, then take the miky on the way down..

Yeah ile agree with that
    i ride hard on my own and slow with mates.
    we need to make this ride happen!
    im thinking of buying lights-you guys got any?

my riding: