south wales Rides?

Comments

• + 1 for a SOCIAL ride around Cwm, I dont have lights though
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've just bought a magicshine 900 (don't think that's the proper name) it was £65 and super bright for the cash, it lights up the whole of my garden!!! :D

northern monkey is up for a night ride around cwm, it might be a laugh :shock: :lol:
  • Getting some for crimbo i hope :s
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    welshkev wrote:
    i've just bought a magicshine 900 (don't think that's the proper name) it was £65 and super bright for the cash, it lights up the whole of my garden!!! :D

northern monkey is up for a night ride around cwm, it might be a laugh :shock: :lol:

im considering getting the same ones, dont supposed you could send me a pic of them on your bike? i want to see the clamp-they are LED arent they?
    i may get some next week

anyone up for riding on wkend?-i rode machen last wkend, was wet, leafy and no grip-so was really challenging and soooooooooo much fun :wink:
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • welshkev
    rhyko7 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

im considering getting the same ones, dont supposed you could send me a pic of them on your bike? i want to see the clamp-they are LED arent they?
    i may get some next week

anyone up for riding on wkend?-i rode machen last wkend, was wet, leafy and no grip-so was really challenging and soooooooooo much fun :wink:

it is led, yeah. it's super bright!! i haven't got a pic of the clamp and i'm awa now until friday, i'll take one when i get back if you want. but it's basically a big rubber band that loops around the bar and holds onto the light.

no light in my garden:

p4pb5823782.jpg

full power:

p4pb5823787.jpg
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    I rode with magic shine light on the bars of my hard tail and suffered with flicker or light wobble. Also used them on my road bike and over a period off time they do slip a little. They might be okay on your bike though Rhys being a fs
    They were supplied with an elastic headband. I'v now cut the elastic and replaced it with velcro so I can strap it tight on top of my helmet (cycle). as a result no more light wobble. I do however ride with 2 sets of lights so still have a set on my handlebars. Still good value for money I paid £55 from DX and bought the extention lead so I can tuck battery away in rucksack.

I'm not working next weekend so fingers crossed though the weather is going to soak all the natural trails if your about?
  • welshkev
    christk wrote:
    I rode with magic shine light on the bars of my hard tail and suffered with flicker or light wobble. Also used them on my road bike and over a period off time they do slip a little. quote]

i read somewhere to put a length of old innertube under the rubber band and that helps to hold it in position, haven't tried it yet so not sure if it works or not :lol:
  • rhyko7
    welshkev wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

i may get some next week

it is led, yeah. it's super bright!! i haven't got a pic of the clamp and i'm awa now until friday, i'll take one when i get back if you want. but it's basically a big rubber band that loops around the bar and holds onto the light.

no light in my garden:

p4pb5823782.jpg

full power:

p4pb5823787.jpg

you have the old version then kev, the newer one (the mj-836) has a clamp, i had a similar clamp on a speedo i had that lasted half a lap around cwmcarn lol, wouldnt want the same thing to happen to a light. i notice on their even newer light (triple lamp set) they have reverted back to the O'ring band again, so maybe the clamp didnt work very well.

cheers Keith, i should be riding next wkend, i may ride machen again as it was so much fun. need to get some Dh riding in too just so i dont forget how to ride it lol

i need to find some reviews of that clamp they used on the 836 light now and see if its any good :idea:

my riding:

• welshkev
    bloody ripped off with the old style light? :x as long as it works, i don't care :lol:

i don't think i'll be doing too much off roading with it anyway. i'm bloody working saturday and i've got my little boy sunday as the gf is working!!! i will get out riding sometime before christmas :lol: :shock:
  • rhyko7
    welshkev wrote:
    bloody ripped off with the old style light? :x as long as it works, i don't care :lol:

i don't think i'll be doing too much off roading with it anyway. i'm bloody working saturday and i've got my little boy sunday as the gf is working!!! i will get out riding sometime before christmas :lol: :shock:

no not ripped off at all mate-the new one costs more, you got a bargain, there are a couple of small improvements on the newer one from what i gather but not much different other than the clamp and polished aluminium body-cheapest i can find newer one is 87£ so you def didnt get ripped off.
    we shall ride one day lol

my riding:

• jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Embarrassingly, I've never ridden any of the Afan trails, even though I only live about 30 minutes away. I've a couple of days off work in December and I've been thinking of riding one of the shorter trails. Can anyone recommend a good trail to start off with. Also, are the trails easy enough to follow without having the map reading skills of an SAS hero (basically can you just turn up and ride and follow the signs)?

Cheers, guys

J
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • rhyko7
    jndb72 wrote:
    Embarrassingly, I've never ridden any of the Afan trails, even though I only live about 30 minutes away. I've a couple of days off work in December and I've been thinking of riding one of the shorter trails. Can anyone recommend a good trail to start off with. Also, are the trails easy enough to follow without having the map reading skills of an SAS hero (basically can you just turn up and ride and follow the signs)?

Cheers, guys

J

yeah they are clearly marked, either follow the trail, the signs or the other riders.
    Afan is much easier than cwmcarn, whytes at afan is probably a good trail to start on, i personally prefer the wall because the descents are much faster.

my riding:

• jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Cheers, I'm hoping to give it a go in December. Which trail would you reccommend that has the least fierce climbs?

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Th wall is probably the easiest climb.

But if it's wet the decents are not as much fun, I Prefer the Wall but the Whites is a bit more ridable in the wet.
  • Hi everyone havent been on here in ages lol

Neither have i been out on the bike, but im looking to get out on the weekend one day if the weather is ok. Is the penhydd trail now open up afan? Thats the only one i havent done yet so looking to give it a go if anyone else is doing it the weekend?

Also wouldnt mind going back down brecfa one weekend if anyone fancys it?
  • Nope It's shut till next year i Believe.

And i think there is a forum ride at 10.30 at Cwm Carn on sunday.
  • Is the forum ride at Cwm Carn still on?
  • rhyko7
    audiobully wrote:
    Is the forum ride at Cwm Carn still on?
    ile meet ya there 10:30 if ya still up for it if its too icey i will ride the natural DH trails from the top instead (same way up), as the ice wont affect them.
    I have a silver saxo and a red giant trance
    will pm you my number,

my riding:

• Ended up doing whites sunday, wish i hadnt to be honest. Took alot longer due to the ice, snow wasnt a problem tyres coaped really well, just kept losing the backend on the ice now and again.

Some photos of the trail

921ba915.jpg

f6336cdc.jpg

6450d5a5.jpg

02c3717b.jpg

Hopefully it warms up a bit by the weekend :shock:
  • I wouldnt mind a spin down brecfa soon if anyone is up for it?
  • rhyko7
    im sticking to natural trails until the ice defrosts. rode the 3 peaks sunday was crazy fun, but so much ice and slow on climbs

my riding:

• so anyone out tomoorow morn? pontypool /cwmcarn?
    RockHopper Expert ---- (the bike not me)
  • welshkev
    itsmygame wrote:
    so anyone out tomoorow morn? pontypool /cwmcarn?

i'm going out sunday morn if you're around mate?
  • cant swing sunday lol we keep missing eachh other
    RockHopper Expert ---- (the bike not me)
  • I'm going to cwm carn tomorrow. What time are you guys there?
  • welshkev
    audiobully wrote:
    I'm going to cwm carn tomorrow. What time are you guys there?

my mates are getting to the car park for 9am, i'm gonna meet them at the top of the climb cos i'll ride up from my house.

look out for a guy in a dark blue 04 golf riding a white felt, that'll be one of my mates
  • welshkev wrote:
    audiobully wrote:

my mates are getting to the car park for 9am, i'm gonna meet them at the top of the climb cos i'll ride up from my house.

look out for a guy in a dark blue 04 golf riding a white felt, that'll be one of my mates

Where the hell is you're house?!

Thats epic, miss the shitty climb and just enjoy the downhill? yes please!
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    audiobully wrote:

Where the hell is you're house?!

Thats epic, miss the shitty climb and just enjoy the downhill? yes please!

i still have a long climb, it's about a 4 mile fireroad climb, or a 1 mile road climb and a mile rocky as hell push/ride. i basically live on the otherside of the mountain to the carpark and visitors centre. it turns the usual cwmcarn ride into a longer ride with a bit of natural riding thrown in :D
  • fair play! seems pretty perfect though!
  • welshkev
    fair play! seems pretty perfect though!

i do like where i live :D loads of natural riding around any way i look :D

i do work in cardiff though and it takes me around 50mins in the morning to get there :(