south wales Rides?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    OK then, no one for brechfa on saturday? my mate has dropped out so it means i'll be riding it alone and that means i'll have to take the downhills easier as i don't want to have a bad off and not be found for a couple of hours :lol:

anyone?
  • WelshGiant
    WelshGiant Posts: 74
    welshkev wrote:
    OK then, no one for brechfa on saturday? my mate has dropped out so it means i'll be riding it alone and that means i'll have to take the downhills easier as i don't want to have a bad off and not be found for a couple of hours :lol:

anyone?

I would have been up for this but i cant get down there as my cars off the road at the moment.
  • WelshGiant
    Anyone up for doing W2 or July trail saturday or sunday?
  • Andywyre
    Andywyre Posts: 73
    I will take it as a no then to someone showing me some decent rides

Cheers

If your ever up Worcestershire way we will show you round (just give us a shout)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Andywyre wrote:
    I will take it as a no then to someone showing me some decent rides

Cheers

If your ever up Worcestershire way we will show you round (just give us a shout)

hi mate, if i was closer to the gower then i'd show you around. i am going out riding on the 24th but it'll be in the morning. can you make that?

don't want you to think we're all ignorant. the welsh pride ourselves on our friendliness....oh and our drinking :lol:
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I haven't been on here for a while but hopefully some of you will still recognise me :lol: :roll:

Good to see a dedidcated S Wales thread running and I'm always up for riding with new people. I'm in Thornhill and normally ride around Caerphilly Mountain (some suprisingly good trails around there and I'm normally out for a good 3 hours depending) or Cwmcarn at the weekends. I'm working tmrw but around on Sunday if anyone is up for a skid around either - or even Afan? as I've not ridden there yet

No doubt see some of you soon. I'll check back to see if anyone's out Sunday :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Andywyre
    Andywyre Posts: 73
    hi mate, if i was closer to the gower then i'd show you around. i am going out riding on the 24th but it'll be in the morning. can you make that?

Hi

Thanks but im not arriving until the afternoon/evening

Cheers
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    WelshGiant wrote:

Family commitments this weekend sadly mate :cry:

Best I am going to get is a quick blast down the wall at some stupid time during the week.
  • WelshGiant
    underdog wrote:
    WelshGiant wrote:

Family commitments this weekend sadly mate :cry:

Best I am going to get is a quick blast down the wall at some stupid time during the week.

Let me know fella im wrkn till 4pm all week except friday
  • nipper9
    nipper9 Posts: 120
    anyone riding this week after 4.30?

cheers paul
    " PERSEVERE B4 U DISAPPEAR "

specialized rockhopper sl comp 2010
    specialized rockhopper comp 2003?
    trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    Myself and Underdog are going to do The Wall up at Afan between 5-6pm tonight. I just bought a Mongoose Teocali Super (2007) and it's a test ride for setting up more than a thrash out. You're more than welcome to pop along but there will no doubt be more stop and starts than a regular ride.
  • underdog
    I got a lovely bit of trail rash from that ride and my ribs hurt a lot this morning :cry:

Welshgiant, I had a moment you told me about, front wheel washed out on the wall, no reason for it to go, smooth single track and it went, one second my bike was where it should be, the next I had to climb down 10 yards of mountain to collect it. So you were telling me, bigger tyre on the front huh :lol:
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    underdog wrote:
    I got a lovely bit of trail rash from that ride and my ribs hurt a lot this morning :cry:

Welshgiant, I had a moment you told me about, front wheel washed out on the wall, no reason for it to go, smooth single track and it went, one second my bike was where it should be, the next I had to climb down 10 yards of mountain to collect it. So you were telling me, bigger tyre on the front huh :lol:

I'll be honest. One minute you were behind me, next you were exploring the undergrowth for mountain bikes in a David Bellamy style.

Seriously. After 5 mins I thought you had done yourself something serious. Thank god you were ok though, I didn't fancy carrying you down the hill. I'm getting sick of carry your sorry ass lol!

Managed to bleed the front brake on the Mongoose although it took a few attempts before I realised I was turning the caliper adjuster the wrong way. Nevermind, all done now.
  • underdog wrote:

Yeh bigger front tyre should sort that out, worked for me anyway and gave me alot more confidence with the bigger tyre. Where abouts did that happen? Some nasty drops up there see aint there :?
  • underdog
    WelshGiant wrote:
    underdog wrote:

Yeh bigger front tyre should sort that out, worked for me anyway and gave me alot more confidence with the bigger tyre. Where abouts did that happen? Some nasty drops up there see aint there :?

It was nowhere dangerous, literally smooth single track, front just went, one sec I'm on the bike the next I am superman :lol: Had it been 50 yards further on I would imagine there'd have been a lot more rib breaking going on :oops:
  • Anyone about on Friday the 13th, up for a ride was thinking of Whites or possibly Skyline also have seen people mentioning the July trail not sure how far it is but willing to give anything a go.
  • Anyone about on Friday the 13th, up for a ride was thinking of Whites or possibly Skyline also have seen people mentioning the July trail not sure how far it is but willing to give anything a go.

I would be up for doing skyline or july trail saturday or sunday if i get my bike back from being repaired by then....
  • In London this weekend wanted to get a ride in before that,is the July trail easy to find I have never seen the posts marking it.

Cheers
    Sladey
  • underdog
    WelshGiant wrote:
    Anyone about on Friday the 13th, up for a ride was thinking of Whites or possibly Skyline also have seen people mentioning the July trail not sure how far it is but willing to give anything a go.

I would be up for doing skyline or july trail saturday or sunday if i get my bike back from being repaired by then....

What you done to your bike mate? :shock:

silversladey July trail is skyline but taking the first short cut at turn 18 (I think it was) making it much shorter.
  • underdog wrote:
    WelshGiant wrote:
    Anyone about on Friday the 13th, up for a ride was thinking of Whites or possibly Skyline also have seen people mentioning the July trail not sure how far it is but willing to give anything a go.

What you done to your bike mate? :shock:

silversladey July trail is skyline but taking the first short cut at turn 18 (I think it was) making it much shorter.

Oh took it in for a its first free service 3 weeks ago and they needed to replace something to do with the brake cables and it also needs a new free wheel hub, so they did the brake problem straight away but had to order a new free wheel. They sent the wrong on out 1st time so im waiting for the correct one to arrive at theres so they can fit it. Bikes with them so havent been out in over 3 weeks, Not impressed at all. Gonna give them a ring tomorrow and see wats happening with it
  • Bikes back so happy now :D 4 weeks later lol

Looks like im gonna be doin july trail tomorrow .....
  • Were in south Wales is there some good riding to go for the first time. I want to go down there for a day. any suggestions? I like single track /downhill.
    ~~~All Bikes Are Worth Riding ~~~
  • Take your pick go to http://mbwales.com/ for all the info on trails in S Wales

Brecon Beacons- Natural trails covering the highest mountains in South Wales, real wilderness riding.

Cwmcarn- My local trail and home to a purpose built downhill track with uplift service http://www.cwmdown.co.uk/
    and they have the Twrch trail 15km of tough technical single track with some excellent descents. Situated near Newport

Afan/Glyncorrwg- Purpose built trail centres probably the best in the area stuated just off the M4 at Port talbot these centres offer some great routes The Wall, Whites Level, Skyline and W2 great xc riding with some great downhill

Brechfa- Have not been here yet but have heard some good things about the Gorlech and Raven trail

Hope this helps :D

Sladey
  • underdog
    WelshGiant wrote:
    Bikes back so happy now :D 4 weeks later lol

Looks like im gonna be doin july trail tomorrow .....

Lucky sod, I haven't ridden for over a week, this baby isn't coming out but misses isn't in a state to be left alone with the other two kids for too long :lol: So I'm not riding anywhere until this baby is out :cry:
  • Did the wall yesterday and it was a bit of a disappointment as the first section was closed :? Didnt say on the signs why, but i think thats one of the better sections. Just to let people know

Anyone up for a midweek ride? whites or sumin?
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Maybe up for a mid week ride, depending on how work is. Just got back from a week in Majorca so need to get out for a quick blast. When are you looking at going (and please bear in mind that I'm approching 40 and need to relay on a dodgy set of knees to get me around, oh and I've never ridden any of the Afan trails).

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • jndb72 wrote:
    Maybe up for a mid week ride, depending on how work is. Just got back from a week in Majorca so need to get out for a quick blast. When are you looking at going (and please bear in mind that I'm approching 40 and need to relay on a dodgy set of knees to get me around, oh and I've never ridden any of the Afan trails).

Cheers

Haha i would be looking to ride at around half 4ish one day and was just looking at the weather and its not looking too good for the week, tomorrow being the best day :?
  • Take your pick go to http://mbwales.com/ for all the info on trails in S Wales

Brecon Beacons- Natural trails covering the highest mountains in South Wales, real wilderness riding.

Cwmcarn- My local trail and home to a purpose built downhill track with uplift service http://www.cwmdown.co.uk/
    and they have the Twrch trail 15km of tough technical single track with some excellent descents. Situated near Newport

Afan/Glyncorrwg- Purpose built trail centres probably the best in the area stuated just off the M4 at Port talbot these centres offer some great routes The Wall, Whites Level, Skyline and W2 great xc riding with some great downhill

Brechfa- Have not been here yet but have heard some good things about the Gorlech and Raven trail

Hope this helps :D

Sladey

Excellent!! Many thanks. Now just need to pack up the clio and get down the M4.
    ~~~All Bikes Are Worth Riding ~~~
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Most probably heading to Glyncowrg this Thursday, hope to ride White level. Will be a loong drive from London but SWales deserves it really. Any pointers about July trail? Is it that secret or just something new in the area? Thanks in advance for any reply.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • popstar wrote:
    Most probably heading to Glyncowrg this Thursday, hope to ride White level. Will be a loong drive from London but SWales deserves it really. Any pointers about July trail? Is it that secret or just something new in the area? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Im goin to be doin whites tonight. Well worth the trip in my opinion, suppost to be rated one of the top ten in the uk apparentley.

July trail is the start of skyline which is the climb of whites and skyline goes in the opposite direction to white levels. July trail is kinda half of skyline, take the first shortcut at post 18, it goes kinda down/thru a small stream lol U will enjoy it i can guarantee :D