south wales Rides?

Comments

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Looks like I've been roped into a wedding fayre on Sunday :x lads so Sat might be good. However I have no transport (big enough to get a bike in) and no rack - double :x

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms :?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Not sure what i'm doing this weekend... I actually fancy going to Afan for a change lol!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    welshkev wrote:
    you didn't tell me there was climbing involved, i'm not doing it now :wink::lol:

It is a monster it follows around to the right and carries on the track for about 300m, Then a middle ring grind up a quiet road for another mile.

Still coming :shock:

yeah, as long as you wait for me at the top :lol: i need to do more climbing anyway, i need to get fit :D
  • welshkev
    some more pics from wentwood here guys if you haven't seen them, some good pics of darren, sladey james, del and sean:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14306776@N ... 210922326/
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    haha i look freeky in that pic lol, good find :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ended up out on Sunday afternoon, as couldn't be bothered to lever myself from bed. and what a day :) sun was shining trail was tacky and perfect. was in Brian Heaven.

Slow trip round still at 1hour20 but still shows the legs are coming back just gotta plough 15-20 minutes off that again now to be back where i left off in November :p

Cant help with that bonkers bike you have got :wink: ,
    lend itsmygames hardtail you will fly around then

you mean my perfect bike? :p pedals fine just means i have to be fitter than the next guy :p

Hmm wanna do a nite ride tonight/tomorrow just don't know anyone else with lights this week locally
  • Pr][nCe
    edited March 2011
    In the middle of replacing a broken spoke nipple on my rear wheel from Cwmcarn Sunday, that was seized in so had to cut the spoke to remove, then sheered another one retruing, but got the rest of the nipple off, only to do another one whilst retruing, about to cut spoke as seized, got two spoke left spare lol so ordering spares now. As i can see it being a long night lol.

I bought some Lights for me bike, well more like torches, got the hope vision one, spent a fortune on top of the range batterys or its a candle for 3 hours, or bright for 1. so i opted for a few torches as recomended elseware on bikeradar forum. gotta say well impresed with um got four 2 on the bar and 2 on helmet.

DSC_1303.jpg
    DSC_1300.jpg
    DSC_1306.jpg
    DSC_1307.jpg

Unsure if i can make this Sunday, Birthday party. Saturday might be better for me still unsure tho Women pppfff.
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Does anyone know of a route I could ride from Ystrad Mynach?

Been thinking about taking the bike to work and going for a ride straight after
  • jon.lane
    jon.lane Posts: 16
    hiya guys,

are you still meeting up for rides in south wales?

I'm living in Bridgend at the moment.

Me and my mate would be up for it as and when we can. I usually ride Margam or Afan most weekends and my mate rides afan.

Would be up for it tho. Let us know.

Jon
    Cube Acid 2011

"Happiness is not a destination it's the trail you ride along"
  • welshkev
    jon.lane wrote:
    hiya guys,

are you still meeting up for rides in south wales?

I'm living in Bridgend at the moment.

Me and my mate would be up for it as and when we can. I usually ride Margam or Afan most weekends and my mate rides afan.

Would be up for it tho. Let us know.

Jon

hi jon, yeah we're still meeting up, usually between 5 and 10 of us :D

just keep an eye on here for as and when or if you're on facebook look for south wales weekend warriors :D

i think i'm still going for the blaenavon route this weekend, anyone else interested? sladey may already be joining me but it would be good to get a few out 8)
  • welshkev
    Does anyone know of a route I could ride from Ystrad Mynach?

ben, i think james is from ystrad originally so he may be the best person to ask :D
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    Does anyone know of a route I could ride from Ystrad Mynach?

Dont know much from Ystrad but I live in Pontllanfraith and ride over the Mtn from there regularly. Depends on where the route is going to go to. Ystrad to where.
    Kev I might be up for the Blaenavon route on the weekend. Think a few of us will be. Something different. Let me know the time and where you will be meeting.
    Did a cracker today. Over Manmoel, into Aberbeeg, up again on mtn between Abeeg and Abertilery, nice descent into Cwm, back up then by Festival site then back to Croespenmaen. Brilliant ride and weather.
  • Ystrad back to Ystrad :lol:

No worries, i'll get a map out and see what I can find.

BTW, what trail did you guys do at Afan?
    I'm not sure which to choose!
  • jon.lane
    jon.lane Posts: 16
    The Northern Monkey,

Try the Wall out. Is pretty awesome. Could fit it into an hour and half ride. Did both in the filthy rain and mist last month. Prefer it in the weather we've recently been having tho. Or White's level is a bit more testing but i prefer the downhill sections of the wall to white's :lol: Or if you're up for something a bit lengthier then go for W2. Its just both rides together. Make sure you got all the bare essentials tho. Let me know how it goes tho.
    Cube Acid 2011

"Happiness is not a destination it's the trail you ride along"
  • Thewaylander
    Yarp avoid Whites, it gets rave reveiws in the mags, but there trail master dude is the guy who built so it's bound to and to be honest, it has terrible flow and is boring.

Not sure where i can be bothered to ride this weekend, hmm should head up to Machen and have a scout on the crazy steep natural trails up there :p
  • Yarp avoid Whites, it gets rave reveiws in the mags, but there trail master dude is the guy who built so it's bound to and to be honest, it has terrible flow and is boring.

Not sure where i can be bothered to ride this weekend, hmm should head up to Machen and have a scout on the crazy steep natural trails up there :p

Your wrong Whites is a great trail :evil:

Pr][nce

Those lights look great
  • ianm59
    I like whites but would prefer July or W2 cos its longer.
    Where are you guys riding. Quite fancy that Blaenavon route, something different.
  • ti man
    ti man Posts: 41
    If you are riding the Blaenavon route do you mind if I tag along ? I remember reading about a certain route in a mtb magazine a few years back. Thats if I can manage to find Blaenavon.
  • Pr][nCe
    Yarp avoid Whites, it gets rave reveiws in the mags, but there trail master dude is the guy who built so it's bound to and to be honest, it has terrible flow and is boring.

Pr][nce

Those lights look great

The ones on the helmet are
    UltraFire WF-502B 3.7V~4.2V CREE XPG R5 WC LED 5-mode
    and with the velcro strap mount are superb, nice bright tight white spot, with no vibration.

The ones on the bars are
    UltraFire WF-502B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumens
    these are superb as bar light great flood beem spread and very bright but only last hour or so on full blast, there is a new led out now called xm-l thats a cross between the xpg and the p7, if i was to change my bar set up i would go for the xm-l as you get a powerfull light with extended life.

but i will have to have a rethink on the bar mounts as the velcro ones on there are not fixed secure enough and i get vibration that makes the lights terable when hitting it hard on the trail
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Pr][nCe
    The Best Part (PRICE)
    UltraFire WF-502B 3.7V~4.2V CREE XPG R5 WC LED 5-mode Flashlight (1*18650) £12.86
    Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger £5.07
    UltraFire 18650 3.7V 2400mAh Lithium Batteries (2-Pack Blue) £3.93
    £21.86
    add another torch for £12.86 as you have a spare battery, couple £3 straps and you off
    or if you got an old laptop battery hanging about crack it open and you get real powerfull cells in them :)

someone elses pics but thats pretty damn close to my setup
    7-Bothonnormalsetting.jpg
    trouties.jpg

PS where to this weekend and what Day?
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I was thinking those lights would cost a lot more D, fair play that's cracking and the results looks :shock: really impressive.

Awww I'm not riding this weekend :x

darn darn darn...
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Kev

I am working saturday and organising a Station Charity Car Wash on Sunday so I cant make it out GUTTED :(:(:(

The Blaenavon route is in this months MBR or on gpsies website called the Tracy Moseley Loop.

I am out riding Monday morning if anyone wants to join me :D
  • welshkev
    No worries Sladey boy :-)

I'm still gonna try and ride Sunday morning but I won't know until tomorrow. I rode coed y brenin yesterday, best lunch break ever :-)
  • itsmygame
    itsmygame Posts: 277
    hi guys i got a friend coming home for a few days so will be going to cwmcarn on sunday, usual time, everyone welcome :D:D

then maybe next week if the weather stays with us perhaps we can look at some of the local routes ie machen, bleanavon..... the blackwood boys have plenty of great routes so we can pick their brains 8)

ian im getting those tyres off sean... do you know if he;ll be there sunday??

ps prince...... nice lights bro !!!!!
    RockHopper Expert ---- (the bike not me)
  • Hi,

new to this forum and was going to post about anything in South Wales and this was top!

Had a Orange P7 for about 3 years but never rode regularly and when I went up Afan, I ended up struggling and not really enjoying it!

I now cycle to work and think I am fitter but my mate I used to go riding with no longer goes :( I want to get into the habit of going out each weekend/fortnightly to Afan or somewhere local to Bridgend.

Am doing the Wall on Sunday for the first time in about a year, looking to see how I get on.

Anyone in the Bridgend area?

thanks
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • cwmboyo
    cwmboyo Posts: 114
    ian when u doing the blaenavon ride bud??
    why walk when u can ride!!

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • Thewaylander

Pr][nce

Those lights look great

No your wrong :p can you tell me about any section of Whites that is really good? Black loop is an additional and can be done on July :p. only windy point springs to mind the other sections are so slow and un flowing its depressing.

Taz and i have sworn not to ride it again unless its part of W2 or there is a really hot girl begging us to ride it :p
  • ianm59
    Was hoping to do the Blaenavon route Sunday, but so far we have no-one to show us the way. :cry:
    Gareth Sean is bringing the tyres up my place tonight.
    Selling my Mount Vision frame and fork if anyone is interested. Mates rates and that sort of thing.
  • cwmboyo
    cwmboyo Posts: 114
    i will ask around for u mr morgan
    what time u think of sunday?
    why walk when u can ride!!

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • Yarp avoid Whites, it gets rave reveiws in the mags, but there trail master dude is the guy who built so it's bound to and to be honest, it has terrible flow and is boring.

Pr][nce

Those lights look great

No your wrong :p can you tell me about any section of Whites that is really good? Black loop is an additional and can be done on July :p. only windy point springs to mind the other sections are so slow and un flowing its depressing.

Taz and i have sworn not to ride it again unless its part of W2 or there is a really hot girl begging us to ride it :p

I love it all from start to finish, but each to their own