Giro: Stage 20 "Spoiler"

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    how much could he gain in the TT?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Oh, no win for Vino today. Liquigas train wasn't riding slow enough.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Evans passes Vino and Harmon goes ballistic! What a sad sack.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Bloody hell, look at him go!
  • Moomaloid
    scarponi looks good
  • afx237vi
    Bloody hell, why did they wait til the final 2km to attack Basso?!
  • Moomaloid
    afx237vi wrote:
    Bloody hell, why did they wait til the final 2km to attack Basso?!

indeed. bit of a crap day really, shows how coooked they all are...
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Evans will be caught before the end
  • afx237vi
    Dirk Hoffman is there with his Motorhome. That dude gets around.
  • Moomaloid
    Tschoppeaux Johan! :roll:
  • luckao
    That was an exciting four minutes..

Well done Tschopp. Impressive win.
  • blazing_saddles
    Kelly: Evans should have attacked earlier. No Shyte?
    Shows it's the Giro gradients that did for Cuddles.
    Today was a lot like a TDF Queen stage.

Overall, pretty dull.
    Luckao wrote:
    That was an exciting four minutes..
    :lol: Far better.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    Kelly: Evans should have attacked earlier. No Shyte?
    Shows it's the Giro gradients that did for Cuddles.
    Today was a lot like a TDF Queen stage.

Overall, pretty dull.

it was ok...but your right.. its the result of the race being controlled by the GC (already somewhat decided) and everyone understanding how to race relative to each other..

cuddles attacking much earlier would have failed IME
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Love it. Vino now knows how Arroyo felt yesterday. Maybe Vino shouldn't attack him.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Righi wheelsucking. Gosh, how sorry I feel for Vino.
    DaveyL wrote:
    Nice to see the Kazakh toys being launched out of the pram again.

Yesterday was a completely different matter. See his quote posted on the Stg9 spoiler. Today they were both going for the win, nothing else. Righi needed to work to. He definitely had gas left as was able to move quickly round Vinokourov when Evans came past.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    I like seeing all these french teams doing well
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    Translation: "Wheelsucking is OK when it's a rider I like".
  • frenchfighter
    Nice one Cadel for actually creating some animation. It will be a very tough ask but he may get onto the podium tomorrow. I think though that the length is a lot too short.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Love it. Vino now knows how Arroyo felt yesterday. Maybe Vino shouldn't attack him.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Righi wheelsucking. Gosh, how sorry I feel for Vino.
    DaveyL wrote:
    Nice to see the Kazakh toys being launched out of the pram again.

Yesterday was a completely different matter. See his quote posted on the Stg9 spoiler. Today they were both going for the win, nothing else. Righi needed to work to. He definitely had gas left as was able to move quickly round Vinokourov when Evans came past.

but then he died on his ass when Basso came past, so he didn't have much
  • frenchfighter
    I'm quite sad watching Gibo... he's only got 10km left as a professional now. I need a new favourite rider!

Great last hurrah for him today though.

TBH I have no idea why he returned. He obviously has no legs left and doesn't put any effort in at all. I can understand from Lampre's view as they get extra coverage/exposure. Simoni either needs money, wants a bit more attention or maybe just wants to experience being a pro racer again. Seeing him being interviewed on that final climb was quite funny/odd.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:

the best bit was when cadel came past him like a steam train
  • luckao

It doesn't matter who was in the wrong, you can't waste time bickering at that stage in the race. As is always the case when the peloton is bearing down on a breakaway, somebody has to make the decisive move and go, not sit up and cry about it.
  • blazing_saddles
    I'm quite sad watching Gibo... he's only got 10km left as a professional now. I need a new favourite rider!

TBH I have no idea why he returned. He obviously has no legs left and doesn't put any effort in at all. I can understand from Lampre's view as they get extra coverage/exposure. Simoni either needs money, wants a bit more attention or maybe just wants to experience being a pro racer again. Seeing him being interviewed on that final climb was quite funny/odd.

Why do I picture a village idiot, with a worm on the end of a fishing pole, when I read this post?
  • frenchfighter
    afx237vi wrote:

No, wrong. I dislike it a lot when people wheelsuck as I have said numerous times. I would have prefered Vino to work yesterday, although Vino gave Arroyo the chance to work with him (just the two) to try and catch the three up front but he declined.

The hate towards Vino is wholey out of proportion especially given his talent and the animation he brings to races.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Why do I picture a village idiot, with a worm on the end of a fishing pole, when I read this post?

Maybe because you hang around them regularly. I couldn't give two cares what you think about me or my opinions. Predictable that you have to slip into denegrating me. You obviously enjoy it. Shame I am not like you or many others and wont deign to argue with you or others for more than one or two posts.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Because he likes racing? All I said was that I was enjoying watching my favourite ever rider on his final mountain stage. I think he's earned the right after 2 giro wins and 4 top 10s,don't you? He got round and put in a good ride today.

As for Vino, "please help me beat you in a sprint!", that's why Righi didn't ride. What's would you have done?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • luckao
    Gilbertoooooo! Going out with a smile...

simoni.jpg
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    afx237vi wrote:

No, wrong. I dislike it a lot when people wheelsuck as I have said numerous times. I would have prefered Vino to work yesterday, although Vino gave Arroyo the chance to work with him (just the two) to try and catch the three up front but he declined.

The hate towards Vino is wholey out of proportion especially given his talent and the animation he brings to races.

That and saying he'd retired to avoid doing his full ban. Don't forget that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    glad they went ahead with today stage among the snowy banks of the Gavia, will never forget the way they cancelled a major mountain stage that the great Fignon would have won the 1984 Giro on. Seeing the stuggling for voice Fignon as a pundit a week back on RAI shows what respect he still has at the Giro and how things have moved from then and 1987
  • blazing_saddles

Maybe because you hang around them regularly.

I can't help it. You are on here more than me.

I'm not degenerating you, just your ill-informed opinion of Simoni and his motivation.
    Seems to me, riders fall into two catagories for you.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

No Problem, there are two racing cyclists that I absolutely hate, detest and vinokourov has been one of them for nearly as long as the second Bjarne Riis..
    The vino thing goes back to his wheelsucking Ralf Aldag his Mobile team mate to win the Tour of Germany and until he got thrown off the TDF I was a voice in the wilderness.
    The wilderness I was in for years with Riis.
    I do not forget that I (a nobody) have absolutely no respect for a certain Texan but when it comes to hate that is different.

IMO
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972