Giro: Stage 20 "Spoiler"

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited May 2010 in Pro race
It's on!
G d Sport news ticker:
# 10:20 Tour of Italy: path remains unchanged for 20th stage.

cima coppi is go!

ORE 10 "Now it's sunny, the road is passable" sweet words this morning from the top of the Gavia for organizers and cycling enthusiasts. The Tappone the Tour of Italy, as expected, with Forcola Livigno Passo Eira, Foscagno pass and Passo Gavia and Passo Tonale with arrival will regularly. The decision was made this morning by the organizers as the weather conditions are favorable (see photo). In fact, even the arrival time is variable, when tending to beautiful. The departure is set in Bormio at 12.20.

alt_20.jpg

pla_20.jpg

t20s01.jpg

t20s02.jpg

t20s03.jpg

t20s04.jpg

ukm_20.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    woop woop. Should be another epic day. will be interesting to see who recovers from yesterday the best. I think Vino will pop big time today.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Awseome.A fine days suffering is in prospect :D
  • I think you meant sooferin'.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I reckon nibali will really mean business today. Liquigaz are bound to want to make it a one/two going in to the last day.

Evans could have a good day as well as he is more thank likely nagry over losing time on Basso yesterday.

Can't wiat - it's going to be a cracker!
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    I think you meant sooferin'.

too be shore too be shore :wink:
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    mike ives wrote:
    I reckon nibali will really mean business today. Liquigaz are bound to want to make it a one/two going in to the last day.

Evans could have a good day as well as he is more thank likely nagry over losing time on Basso yesterday.

Isn't he pretty when he's angry espescially when it's his own fault.
    The twit lost time and more important the GC (I would think) on Basso, Nibali and Scarponi.

Today Nibali has the mountain Jersey to go for also.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    mike ives wrote:

Hope so but i fear maybe yesterdays day was the real decisive one . I would like to see Arroyo hold onto 2nd place after yesterdays efforts he showed how much it meant to him to hold on to pink. A lot of riders maybe would have decided after being dropped early on the Mortirolo to give up the chase but not him and hopefully he can get through today unscathed.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    gavia-andy.jpg
    Jobst Brandt
    20-jobst-gavia-400.jpg
    2008 Gavia Stage:
    2008_giro_d_italia_stage20_alberto_contador_astana_peloton_gavia_mountain_pass_snow.jpg
    20-marked-up-profile.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    Tondo has packed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Nobody has mentioned it yet but what about Arroyo's descent of the Mortirolo (Foppa). Incredible. Reminds me of Cancellara's in the Tour which is now on YouTube.
  • frenchfighter
    Sounds like a good stage so far. Many attacks with Dan Martin out solo for a time. Currently:

Carlos Sastre (Cervelo), Francesco Failli (Acqua & Sapone), Hubert Dupont (AG2R), Jose Serpa (Androni Giocattoli), Cam Wurf (Androni Giocattoli), Gorazd Stangelj (Astana), Johann Tschopp (Bbox), Thomas Voeckler (Bbox), Xabier Zandio (Caisse d'Epargne), Marcel Wyss (BMC), David Moncoutie (Cofidis), Julien Fouchard (Cofidis), Stefano Pirazzi (Colnago), Dan Martin (Garmin-Transitions), Damiano Cunego (Lampre), Righi (LAM), Matt Lloyd (Lotto), Peiter Weening (Rabobank), Marco Pinotti (HTC-Columbia), Petrov (KAT), Laurent Didier (Saxo Bank), Evgueni Petrov (Katusha), Massimo Codol (Acqua & Sapone), Daniel Lloyd (Cervelo), Damien Gaudin (Bbox)

have 1min with Simoni trying to bridge.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    that profile isn't today's stage ff!
    mike there is a thread discussing exactly that idea (I don't mean "go to the other thread", I thought you might find it interesting http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12705101)

I fear that yesterday will turn out to be the stage that mattered this year. Happy to be proved wrong over the next few hours though!
  • frenchfighter
    I think live coverage begins about 1.30 GMT
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    vino trying to get away
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    PHD I know - that is why I put 2008 stage above the photo and the profile. Just there for comparison/interest
    Contador is the Greatest
  • avoidingmyphd
    Currently:

Carlos Sastre (Cervelo) [and others]

have 1min with Simoni trying to bridge.
    I can't imagine the rest of the break will be too pleased to see Sastre.
  • blazing_saddles
    @EuroHoody Just drove over Gavia; 4C, rain, 6ft snowdrifts on side
    of road - the descent is harrowing, they've installed nets to catch crashing riders.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    vino trying to get away

FYI, from Graham Watson's twitter account:

grahamwatson10

Word in the peloton is that Vinokourov traded with Liquigas to win today's stage and not help Evans & Arroyo chase yesterday - let's see..
  • SpaceJunk
    Garzelli abandons?
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2010
    Cunego, Pinotti and Sastre going hard - gap up to 2mins and the front bunch is getting trimmed.

Simoni made it to the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Garzelli abandons?
    Yes, a crash yesterday down the Mortirolo and he's not recovered.
  • SpaceJunk
    Kléber wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Garzelli abandons?
    Yes, a crash yesterday down the Mortirolo and he's not recovered.

Cheers Kléber, I didn't hear about his crash.
  • frenchfighter
    Top riders attacking from 120km out. Very nice to see. Hopefully this stays out for a long time making the others behind go hard. Sastre at 5.30 on GC
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Vino attacks again, breaks away, catches and passes Righi and Failli and is now motoring to catch the leaders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • avoidingmyphd
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Graham Watson's twitter account:

grahamwatson10

Word in the peloton is that Vinokourov traded with Liquigas to win today's stage and not help Evans & Arroyo chase yesterday - let's see..

tbh vino's own explanation - that he was willing to work if he had a shot at the stage win, but not otherwise, and he thought waiting for the others canned his chances and turned them into a group limiting GC losses and little else - makes more sense.
  • blazing_saddles
    Mattie Lloyd after his mountains jersey.
    UK Eurosport joins RAI, but are "delayed" live, atm.
    A long way to go..........
    Arrgh. Harmon: "Matthew Hayman. :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Arroyo still riding his pink bike
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • avoidingmyphd
    Arroyo still riding his pink bike
    I would be too, after its contribution to yesterday's ride!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Why was Vino docked 20 seconds? Wasn't paying attention and just caught the end bit on Eurosport.
  • avoidingmyphd
    afx237vi wrote:
    Why was Vino docked 20 seconds? Wasn't paying attention and just caught the end bit on Eurosport.
    feeding on the climb to aprica i.e. in the last 20k.