Giro Stage 16 *spoiler*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    FJS wrote:
    Blimey, Gibo doesn't beat Damien Monier's best time :o

Simoni almost 4 minutes slower than in 2008.....

I don't think he is trying too hard anymore
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    DaveyL wrote:
    There is a small amount of descending in today's stage:

http://twitpic.com/1qvrvs
    Nice one for Nibali :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DaveyL wrote:
    There is a small amount of descending in today's stage:

http://twitpic.com/1qvrvs

Class. :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Funny how lots of people were calling this stage a circus last time round and now everyone can't wait!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Typical of a monkey to object to a circus! :wink:

It is a bit of a gimmick stage. Not sure whether 2 stages with unfinished roads is needed, but hey ho.

Sylvester best time. And he was probably not full gas as he's got work to do this week.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    Who's objecting? I love a circus! :lol:
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hahah Get rai on now... Fat Pat getting grilled by rai!!

I am recording it so will share in a sec

Its like question time!! Fukcing loving this..
    cartoon.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Pat McQuaid: "I have a huge respect for Ivan Basso......"
    Being grilled, sorry interviewed on RAI Sport, now.
    Where ees de monies, Pat? :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    1 SZMYD Sylvester LIQ 43:40 0:00
    2 MONCOUTIE David COF 44:06 0:26
    3 MONIER Damien COF 44:15 0:35
    4 SIMONI Gilberto LAM 44:27 0:47
    5 MARZANO Marco LAM 44:47 1:07
    6 EIBEGGER Markus FOT 45:05 1:25
    7 FROOME Christopher SKY 45:15 1:35
    8 ZANDIO Xabier GCE 45:22 1:42
    9 MARANGONI Alan COG 45:47 2:07
    10 PIRAZZI Stefano COG 45:48 2:08
    after 2nd batch

If anyone beats the 2008 top times I shall be both surprised and disappointed.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    calvjones wrote:

In 2008 the wet roads may have made a difference at the top on the unmade sections so times might not be comparable
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:

In 2008 the wet roads may have made a difference at the top on the unmade sections so times might not be comparable

Fair point!

Strava is not Zen.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I must be getting old, seeing riders in skinsuits and on road bikes makes me think of the Ventoux TT in '87!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Pozzato takes of with "Smoke on the Water" hammering out over race speakers.
    Psychological warfare!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Pozzato takes of with "Smoke on the Water" hammering out over race speakers.
    Psychological warfare!

Wasn't that something to do with a firestorm on the shores of Lake Geneva? :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I must be getting old, seeing riders in skinsuits and on road bikes makes me think of the Ventoux TT in '87!

One has to wonder if it's really worth wearing a skinsuit in a TT going UPHILL the entire time. (Although as I sit here watching footage I can see the riders do actually pick up some speed in sections).
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I LOVE the Giro! Watching Dan martin struggleup that insane incline and trying hard to keep his wheels from spinning in the dirt, I can only imagine how quickly I'd...be getting off my bike to keep from falling backwards. LOL. Amazing to watch. Go Zomegnan!
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    Which sort of times do they clock at the 10k sign?
    I have a very similar climb up until 10k that takes 40 min.
  • fredmac
    fredmac Posts: 83
    I' m watching this on a live stream, only problem is the Russian commentator. Anyone know where to get English feed?
  • donrhummy
    BTW, anyone read Cadel's diary? I thought it was interesting that even in 2010, some of the Italian riders were still yelling at the fans to stop pushing/assisting the non-italian riders! Nationalism is quite strong in Italian cycling!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Surely Wiggins shoudln't be allowed to wear a national champion's jersey today!? He didn't even ride Pea Royd :evil:
  • donrhummy
    Sky isn't carrying it in the UK? What's the point of sponsoring a cycling team there if that's the case?
  • greasedscotsman
    Maybe it would be more fun if they had to do it on a fixed?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    donrhummy wrote:
    Sky isn't carrying it in the UK? What's the point of sponsoring a cycling team there if that's the case?

Huh?

Why you only advertise to your customers?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • calvjones
    donrhummy wrote:

Well, you just wrote 'Sky' on an Internet forum, which you wouldn't have done without the sponsorship....

Strava is not Zen.
  • greasedscotsman
    Would love to see a mass-start stage on this climb, rather than a TT, like they were going to do in '06.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Sky carries Eurosport - it's on there.
  • donrhummy
    BTW, people talk about nationalistic fans at the giro but watching on RAI, the majority are clearly cheering everyone. Fantastic fans!
  • afx237vi
    Completely OT, but I phoned up to cancel Sky today (I wanted to switch to Virgin) and by the end of the conversation I had a free HD box and a half-price sub for 6 months. Go Sky!
  • calvjones
    Fine ride by my 2hrs+ down PTP GV pick Martin there.

Cheers :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • just watching how much effort D Martin has put in is making my eyes water. these guys are mental.