Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• cotti
    cotti Posts: 96
    Doctor/Team Boss/Lawyer/Friend/Mentor are Doctors something different in America?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    cotti wrote:
    Doctor/Team Boss/Lawyer/Friend/Mentor are Doctors something different in America?

Think Dr. Gonzo to Landis' Raul Duke
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    Shame too that RS have published the VN cocaine whore line. They seem not to care that some hacks life is going down as collateral. :roll:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Shame too that RS have published the VN cocaine whore line. They seem not to care that some hacks life is going down as collateral. :roll:

That made me go :shock: too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    cotti wrote:

No NHS, innit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Armstrong has denied on Twitter that he ever replied to any of the emails. Yet Kay begins one email with:

Whoa a second there.

Are you suggesting he's lying?

No, I'm suggesting that Armstrong has denied on Twitter that he ever replied to any of the emails. Yet Kay begins one email with...

OK, yes.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

No, I'm suggesting that Armstrong has denied on Twitter that he ever replied to any of the emails. Yet Kay begins one email with...

OK, yes.

Lance isn't very bright at times. I managed to outsmart him and I've been outsmarted by a slow witted panda before
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I suppose they could have been in touch on the phone.

Does look odd though. Talk about half-arsed, you'd think he could afford some decent PR people.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    My head is spinning, so I can only imagine what Lance is like. He'll need drugs just to get through this........... :P
    Ooops, now I've missed Planet armstrong. What a shame. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    DaveyL wrote:
    I suppose they could have been in touch on the phone.

Does look odd though. Talk about half-arsed, you'd think he could afford some decent PR people.

people would be scared of being recorded no...? I think LA et al are going to be very careful about what they say on the phone...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Bruyneel to Armstrong - BROADSWORD calling DANNY BOY

Armstrong - Go Ahead BROADSWORD.

Broadsword - McQuaid in Bunker due east of Castle

Armstrong - OK Broadsword the Daffodils are HIGH

Broadsword - No No No dont mention HIGH over the airwaves it might be construed :lol:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    skimmed the e-mails and didn't really see a lot in them. Floyd wanted in the race and then Floyd's doctor \ team owner said why does't Floyd join your team as we aren't invited.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    You know it's big when Sky Sports News run a cycling story unrelated to Team Sky.

Bruyneel implied that Landis needs psychiatric help. Very class rebuttal.
  • Luckao wrote:
    You know it's big when Sky Sports News run a cycling story unrelated to Team Sky.

Bruyneel implied that Landis needs psychiatric help. Very class rebuttal.

Michael Barry has been named by floyd so I guess that sky are taking the easy option. Their policy of not tolerating any connections with doping seems a bit lame now. Well even lamer than it did after they recruited yates and sunderland.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    OK, I've read through the e-mails. I agree that it would've been helpful if they'd put them in chronological order! They're also clearly incomplete... I wonder what they're hiding? I also wonder if Landis will simply publish their e-mail responses.

What I gleaned from them:

1. Landis is clearly pissed that his team didn't get a ToC invite, despite (claimed) good results.
    2. He is talking about going to USADA and inviting the ToC organisers along. What the implications of this invite are, I am not sure.
    3. With the possible exception of the above, I can see no attempt at blackmailing.

4. It was not Landis' idea to attempt to join RadioShack. Indeed, there's no evidence that he even wanted to.
    5. His doctor is clearly a little delusional himself - the idea of Landis joining RS on a salary on a par with the elite of the sport is bizarre, as is his claim he could win the Vuelta despite not being in shape for it currently.

6. Armstrong has made threats to Dr. Kay and made some unpleasant claims about Landis and alcoholism.

I can't see how Armstrong comes off well from those e-mails, and they must be the best of them. Bizarre.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • itisaboutthebike
    itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
    More Mqdead rubbish.............
    McQuaid concluded by saying: “Floyd should have met with USADA directly and I was involved in trying to get him to do that. But instead he’s gone to the media. I know one thing that could be playing a role in this. He wanted to ride the Tour of California, but the organisers wouldn’t take him into the race. He tried to blackmail the organisers of the Tour of California and if they didn’t take him in he was going to come loose with a big story, and this is exactly what he’s done.”

You are a fooking t*sser Mr Mqdead...................
  • itisaboutthebike
    itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
    McQuaid concluded by saying: “Floyd should have met with USADA directly and I was involved in trying to get him to do that. But instead he’s gone to the media. I know one thing that could be playing a role in this. He wanted to ride the Tour of California, but the organisers wouldn’t take him into the race. He tried to blackmail the organisers of the Tour of California and if they didn’t take him in he was going to come loose with a big story, and this is exactly what he’s done.”

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Nothing about your post here and not about you personally, but when people use names like 'Mqdead', 'Pharmstrong', 'Contadope', 'The Hog' etc, etc, they just come across as people who have made up their minds before any event and hold prejudices.

The great thing about this forum (as opposed to others) is that the majority of posters are willing to look at the evidence on it's own merits and discuss it intelligently, rather than defending predetermined positions.

If you use derogotry nicknames you lose your impartiality.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I really love how the vast majority of people on this subject are the same ones who claim to "love OUR sport", as if it belonged to you. Yet you all write in with the most vile claims and acusations, along with name calling, etc., etc. So THIS is love of the sport, huh???

Care to give us your opinion on the whole story then, Dennis?

Oh, silly me, of course you don't.

If anything I always seem to hit a nerve when I say something like that. Care to enlighten us as to why that is afx?

Classic Dennisn.

Just revisited this thread to catch up. How did I know you'd you the old "If anything I always seem to hit a nerve when I say something like that" line?, and try and divert attention from the question?

How predictable. :roll: :roll:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I really love how the vast majority of people on this subject are the same ones who claim to "love OUR sport", as if it belonged to you. Yet you all write in with the most vile claims and acusations, along with name calling, etc., etc. So THIS is love of the sport, huh???

If anything I always seem to hit a nerve when I say something like that. Care to enlighten us as to why that is afx?

Classic Dennisn.

Just revisited this thread to catch up. How did I know you'd you the old "If anything I always seem to hit a nerve when I say something like that" line?, and try and divert attention from the question?

To be honest I think that most of the people that are demanding that everyone "come clean", "be banned for life", and that kind of thing have one thing in common. You are all OCP types who try to strut your stuff / showoff to the people around you that you are some sort of hard man cyclist. Only problem is that with every rider from A to Z under a cloud of doping, well, you just don't look quite as good as you used to. Can't blame you for being mad. These guys whom you've tried so hard to emulate are giving you a bad image. You probably don't ride bikes for the enjoyment of riding. It's strictly a cool / showoff thing with you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dennis - you're usually pretty sensible on the forum until it comes to LA and then it all goes wrong. How can you categorise all the critics as being show offs and wanna be har man cyclists is beyond me ?
    If you don't like a point of view you get personal.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    cougie wrote:
    Dennis - you're usually pretty sensible on the forum until it comes to LA and then it all goes wrong. How can you categorise all the critics as being show offs and wanna be har man cyclists is beyond me ?
    If you don't like a point of view you get personal.

It's nothing personal, although I have seen quite a few of the anti Lance brigade get much more than personal. You'll at least admit to that, won't you? Like I said, nothing personal. It's just what I think is the reason for all this. I could care less who gets busted and who doesn't. It's the great majority of the posters who have set themselves up for this let down by trying to be cool like their heros, now the heros are falling like flies and since they don't ride for pleasure, only to be like their heros, they are mad at cycling for betraying them. Just take a look at the posts. A lot of these people claim to be p*ssed off
    at just about anyone involved in cycling. What a waste. Quit showing off and ride. You'll be happier and healthier.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    dennisn wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Classic Dennisn.

To be honest I think that most of the people that are demanding that everyone "come clean", "be banned for life", and that kind of thing have one thing in common. You are all OCP types who try to strut your stuff / showoff to the people around you that you are some sort of hard man cyclist. Only problem is that with every rider from A to Z under a cloud of doping, well, you just don't look quite as good as you used to. Can't blame you for being mad. These guys whom you've tried so hard to emulate are giving you a bad image. You probably don't ride bikes for the enjoyment of riding. It's strictly a cool / showoff thing with you.

When you say YOU, are you trying to include me?

Because unfortunately you are wrong. I don't ride my bike to show off, I don't want to emulate a pro rider's life.

I ride my bike for the sheer enjoyment of it. I ride it everywhere between 8,000 - 12,000 kms a year. I don't give a damn what other people think of me when I ride my bike. I ride simply to keep fit, and because of the sheer thrill of it.

I haven't tried at all to emulate a pro's life. I am nowhere committed enough to cycling to live in such a way.

I own a cheap bike, I don't care that it's not the latest and greatest. I wear plain knicks and bib shorts; no team replica stuff.

So try again Dennis.

But I think your post reveals a little about you. I (as well as many others) have often wondered why you seem reluctant to give your opinion.

To paraphrase yourself:

You probably do give a damn what other people think, and you're too scared to speak up.

Anyway, it's 10.30 am the sun is shining and I'm off on a ride because I enjoy it!
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Wow -- Lim's response was a joke. He said nothing.

While the denials have been fast and furious, none of them have really engaged with the allegations. For Lance,the Hog, and McQaid -- Landis is a mentally ill drunk.

Hancapie spoke, but appeared to speaking in tongues.

Lemond response has been interesting -- given what Landis did to him.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    jp1985 wrote:

Oh my! Someone is seriously uncomfortable during that interview. It isn't worth listening to what he says particularly (as has been pointed out, he doesn't really say anything), but his body language throughout is fascinating.
    To be fair, I've never seen him interviewed before, so he could be largely uncomfortable in front of the press, but watching him listen to the build up to the last question is quite painful!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I have a feeling that Landis needs some better people behind him than this Kay bloke. For example Kay writes:
    "Despite all the positive changes that you personally have affected in the anti-doping system nobody will ever give them credence with your history. To get rid of the top guy at usada, wada, uci, and eliminate the lab are amazing accomplishments. Of course the dissolution of the French lab and all the new testing standards is testimony to the success of your endeavor to overhaul the corrupt anti-doping system."
    What on Earth is he wittering about here? Did I miss something?
    "We know you didn’t do anything wrong and that you won the Tour de France fair and square."
    6) I don't think he did it.
    7) He didn't do it.

So was Landis claiming to be clean even as these 'negotiations' - supposedly based on a threat to expose how he, Armstrong and co were all doped to the gills - were going on? It all seems rather contradictory to me.

"Don’t forget that lab tried to f--k Lance too."
    8) The french lab is a piece of s--t.

Interesting that they are still pushing this line, given the conclusions of the Court of Arbitration which firmly rejected all 'conspiricy' claims. Also as everybody knows 'the lab' (meaning the LNDD) never tried to' f-k Lance'. Rather they were continuing a research program into retrospective EPO testing, the previous results of which had been printed in Nature, Damien Ressiot then put together the information about the testing of the 1999 samples which was release to WADA and the French cycling federation with information from the original doping control forms that were provided to him by the UCI's medical director with the permission of Armstrong's lawyers!
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    jp1985 wrote:

He is not a smart guy.

---

@DennisN

You can think what you want about me and the others you have posted on this forum. All I can say is that for me you are way wide of the mark. I see cycling as useful transportation, a means to keep fit, and something fun to do. It's not my main competitive sport. I certainly don't have any delusions about being hard or good!
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Some random thoughts...

1. The emails, what a joke! Landis actually comes across as the most coherent of the lot, and the (i assume) chronologically last one is calm and reasoned. Certainly no blackmail!

2. Reading through the emails, it seems as if people around Landis, and this must include Armstrong, have basically advised him post TdF to fight the doping allegation, no matter what, and all the subsequent stress is what appears to be very sick "management" of a hugely messed around Landis, who has been mauled by the "system". I feel genuinely sorry for Landis. Though, while on the face of it he snapped, what's now happened is probably the best thing for him mentally - coming clean will be a great relief.

3. For all the talk of Landis going to the media, there's been not a word or even a sighting of Landis, from what I can see! Only a leaked email.... leaked by whom, good question, but it's not as if it was instantly leaked, it was sent a good few weeks ago. It was not a deliberate campaign to stall the TOC specifically.

4. Landis's website is still in pre-confession mode. Not the action of someone trying to wage a media campaign. He's gone underground from what I can see.

5. Joe Papp is bang on the money again. Interesting because IIRC, Landis doping trial was the trigger to Papp being exposed?

http://joepapp.blogspot.com/

6. McQuaid... Words fail me... How easy would it be to say, "These are serious allegations, we are seeking further information from Landis and will be holding a full internal investigation"? Simply amazing!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    huuregeil wrote:
    McQuaid... Words fail me... How easy would it be to say, "These are serious allegations, we are seeking further information from Landis and will be holding a full internal investigation"? Simply amazing!
    Not that amazing given the UCI's history of protecting Armstrong...