Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bakunin wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    This will all be swept under the carpet - UCI Pat McQuaid Johan Brusqueel all a bunch of Charlatans and con men.

If people turn, they will not be able to control it.

More importantly, it's in the hands of people other than the UCI now. Big house of cards.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Any updates on what the US media and the Phil and Paul show are saying?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    I reckon its over..its the vibe of the whole thing

it was an unstable status quo enforced by weakening players... thats one of their problems..outting them doesn't mean they can make your life hard on the road to the degree they used to

Contador is in a different camp and is no Patron anyway

they are all starting to look increasingly ridiculous

JB fronting it up is pathetic... he reeks of fear from the other side of the planet

the system they helped enforce will turn on them because the people jumping ship are going to be looking for a deal that will point fingers (correctly or not) "IT WAS ALL THEIR IDEA FROM THE START HONEST GUV"

o the Irony
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Who ever is investigating someone better check that they have not already been "Bought Off" by certain parties.

Christophe Bassons for UCI president
  • Gazzetta67
    Paul "Team" Sherwin and Phool Liggett are so far up the texan messiah's arsenal its not even funny anymore - stay tuned for an ITV4 tour special to rubbish the minnions for having the balls to speak out.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    edited May 2010
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Paul "Team" Sherwin and Phool Liggett are so far up the texan messiah's arsenal its not even funny anymore - stay tuned for an ITV4 tour special to rubbish the minnions for having the balls to speak out.

they need a radical rethink... in danger of tying themselves to an anchor there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Gazzetta67
    I Dont even watch or listen to dumb and dumber now - you need a sick bag cos of the amount of times they can mention Team Radioshack as it is now. you would think there is only 1 team in cycling.

Now we have that twit on Eurosport carlton kirby the personal apoligist for armstrong - not surprised as they run the nauseating planet up it's own arsestrong
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

they need a radical rethink... in danger of tying themselves to he anchor here

What are they saying......or should I not ask as it is along the familiar theme of ;'an Armstrong witchhunt by Landis, a drug cheat and discredited liar', 'Landis is deranged', 'Landis is looking for a payout' etc

This pair, while I accept they can't speak openly about drug cheating if they want to continue their chosen career, appear to deliberately go out of their way to gloss over doping in the sport and actively welcome back drug cheats. They are part of the problem.
  • Gazzetta67
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

they need a radical rethink... in danger of tying themselves to he anchor here

What are they saying......or should I not ask as it is along the familiar theme of ;'an Armstrong witchhunt by Landis, a drug cheat and discredited liar', 'Landis is deranged', 'Landis is looking for a payout' etc

This pair, while I accept they can't speak openly about drug cheating if they want to continue their chosen career, appear to deliberately go out of their way to gloss over doping in the sport and actively welcome back drug cheats. They are part of the problem.

Hail Hail Top Bhoy well said - They NEVER mention anything and always say how AMAZING all these rides are esp when it's an American rider - Both of them even now have an american twang now they have brown tongue's to go with it.
  • Shame. I used to like 'em on channel 4 back in the naive days of the 90s.
  • IanLD
    Remember Paul riding past me after the finish of the stage at Nantes in the 1980 tour. Thought a lot of him then and continued to do so until the relentless Lance worshipping took it's toll.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    As someone commented on another thread on another site, it's no use expecting journalists/pundits that make their money from cycling to go too far into this episode, especially not those in broadcasting, where a really big scandal could see the sport cut from the airwaves. Look to the mainstream press for a lead - Washington Post and NYT is where the real actionn will be.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyone else trying to figure out who the 2 people who are considering helping with the enquiries are?
    Apparently .... two internet forumers .... but nobody gives a sh1t !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bakunin wrote:

Come on Rich, you're a voice of reason around here -- you can't be ready to hang your hat on this quote.

Landis said you trained before the 2003 Vuelta and talked about doping products?

MB: I did train with him for two days. When we were in Girona, I trained with him very little when we were racing for U.S. Postal. Prior to the Vuelta, he was staying up in the mountains and I drove up there with my wife and rode with him for six hours one day and two hours the next day. And then we drove back home. That was it.

Read more: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/ ... z0ofzuEpLe

He wasn't asked nor did he put forward a position on the two key questions: Did he dope at Postal? Did they talk about dope?

It was just one more blanket denial, and he even stated that Lance said a lot in response to the allegations (it was like he was saying, listen to what Armstrong said -- yeah, that's my position).

Weak -- very weak.

I hope he is clean, but Barry said nothing.

It was better than Lim though, lol.

I try to be reasonable, that's true. I wasn't trying to say that Barry didn't dope. I don't know that. But I was saying that he had addressed the allegations directly. But here are some points I would raise:

1. Barry said that Landis had lied and denied for years and he didn't know where he was mentally. On Wednesday, I doubt anyone on here would have disagreed with that comment. But on Thursday Landis went against the Great White Whale and lots of people then seem to see him as an unreprochable witness.

2. I think the general themes of his confession are probably correct, but I'd worry about the details. Comparing his confession e-mail with his e-mails leaked by Livestrong and there's a huge difference in style. His confession was clearly written in a fairly stressed frame of mind. He's also clearly not fact checked his work - for example he says, correctly, that the helicopter ride was from "I think Grenoble". This an easily checked fact.

3. With that in mind I think he's written his e-mail using information that he's remembering off the top of head rather than referring to any alleged journals. Memory, especially after 6 or 7 years, lies to us. From a personal experience, just tonight, I was out with my friends from hockey. One of them - the 1st team goalkeeper for 8 years and captain for four of them - was adamant we have played three European tournaments in Zagreb. We haven't, we've just been their twice. It took the internet to convince him. All of us can recall events from 2003, but we'll all get facts wrong.

4. Therefore, while I believe Landis's allegations on a broad level, I also think that there's a high probability of false memories sneaking in there. Barry has clearly phoned home to get details of his training logs and given details which can be matched with his whereabouts info (if that existed in 2003, which I think it did). Therefore, I find Barry's version more credible than Landis's.

I may well be proved wrong, but that's the way I see it from a dispassionate point of view.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    hmmm this could get very interesting now that it appears Kristin, Armstrong's ex wife, is co-operating with authorities. Could this be the prompt needed to get the two un-named persons to talk? If they wait too long they may find that any deal they have been offered has been taken off the table.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deal wrote:
    hmmm this could get very interesting now that it appears Kristin, Armstrong's ex wife, is co-operating with authorities. Could this be the prompt needed to get the two un-named persons to talk? If they wait too long they may find that any deal they have been offered has been taken off the table.

That is interesting. The two unnamed people, I reckon, are Dave Z and Matt White, with Vaughters supporting them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    deal wrote:

This bit in Walsh's article is going to influence a lot of peoples thinking

If Novitzky concludes that US Postal did run a doping programme, Armstrong and others could face charges. Through Tailwind Sports, the US Postal team was funded by taxpayers’ money. The penalties for misusing such funds are draconian.
  • iainf72
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyone else trying to figure out who the 2 people who are considering helping with the enquiries are?

What's the weather like on your planet Rocky?
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Bakunin wrote:
    Is it just me or is this a surprisingly measured response? I had expected something more outspoken, or perhaps a review of all the evidence previously uncovered showing that Armstrong doped.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    edited May 2010
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Planet Armstrong?

Clear blue skies last week, but the temperature suddenly dropped and there might be a storm brewing...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Cloudy with large storms approaching?
  • iainf72
    Is it just me or is this a surprisingly measured response? I had expected something more outspoken, or perhaps a review of all the evidence previously uncovered showing that Armstrong doped.

I guess being a good journalist means Walsh realises repetition really turns people off.
  • IanLD
    Walsh has covered the main ground and restated the previous points. Does anyone know what Kristin thinks of Lance now? Does she have any axe to grind?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    IanLD wrote:
    Walsh has covered the main ground and restated the previous points. Does anyone know what Kristin thinks of Lance now? Does she have any axe to grind?

Whether she condoned or condemned Lances actions throughout their life together is almost immaterial to this case. She is between a rock and a hard place and I don't envy her right now. She has her children to consider and protect in all of this and any case against Lance needs to be built-up without her - unless she chooses to intervene.
  • IanLD
    Agree about the children, but not so sure that she will have a choice in the matter. If this is being investigated outwith the UCI etc then she will be asked to testify.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I can't imagine his ex wife turning on him...people will visit the sins of the parent on his children as they grow up so I cannot imagine his ex-wife will incriminate him.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I understand she has never publicly spoken about Armstrong, i doubt it will be easy to portray her as a bitter ex. She is twice mentioned in the Landis email.
    I was instructed to go to Lances place by Johan Bruyneel and get
    some EPO from him. The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the
    entry way to his building in full view of his then wife.
    I was instructed on how to use Testosterone patches by Johan Bruyneel
    during the During the Dauphine Libere in June, after which I flew on a
    helicopter with Mr Armstrong from the finish, I believe Grenoble, to San
    Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg
    patches in front of his wife who witnessed the exchange.
  • IanLD
    Looks like she has maintained a dignified silence on Lance over the years. Would be nice if she could continue that for the children's sake (and her own) but the statements made may drag her in to it.

Should be done behind closed doors though, so may be possible for her to keep it at arms length from the family.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I can't imagine his ex wife turning on him...people will visit the sins of the parent on his children as they grow up so I cannot imagine his ex-wife will incriminate him.

I agree... I couldn't imagine her wanting to volunteer any information (if she had any). Could you imagine the impact this could have on their children if Lance is found to dope?

Not that I am saying he should be excused for doping because he has kids, just the impact it would have.