Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    sherer wrote:
    checked the RS website a few times and nothing seems to be on there yet

I am guessing now that the FBI are involved RS have to be pretty careful what they do..
    cartoon.jpg
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty sure that the FBI would not be concerning themselves with this.I'm under the impression that a former FBI agent,who works for US anti doping is investigating it.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Doobz wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    checked the RS website a few times and nothing seems to be on there yet

I am guessing now that the FBI are involved RS have to be pretty careful what they do..

you are prob right there. Not sure why LA said on twitter to check it within the hour and then nothing on there at all
  • Doobz
    I'm pretty sure that the FBI would not be concerning themselves with this.I'm under the impression that a former FBI agent,who works for US anti doping is investigating it.

My understanding is that there is now a federal investigation under way, and you don’t mess with those people. I think this could be the end of him, to be honest.”

from here
    cartoon.jpg
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    DaveyL wrote:
    Why don't you at least consider the alternative?
    Because I believe it would be much harder to 'engineer a testosterone positive' than you try to make out, especially when multiple samples are involved; such an action would be without precedent; no motive or 'suspect' has been named etc.

I think that in Landis’ mind his supposed ‘innocence’ relates to the fact that the T/E ratio tests were found to be inconclusive and so, in his mind at least, did not justify running the definitive IRMS tests. He also probably believes that they way he was using testosterone was properly managed and as such he was ‘safe’ and that he did not slip up.

Perhaps, just perhaps, someone tipped off the testers that Landis was using testosterone and the IRMS tests were done because they knew they would find something, even if the T/E ratio tests were inconclusive. Still, such ‘targeted’ or intelligence-led testing is exactly what bodies such as the UCI are supposedly aiming for and does not mean that the labs were in any way complicit.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL's thought might not be too out there.

The UCI's credibility was in the toilet after Puerto, just before the Tour. They needed to do something to get it back to a degree. They also had history with Floyd from his time at Mercury and couldn't stand Rihs / Phonak. So why not engineer it? You could tell from the blood numbers he was up to something

He's admitted he was doped through that ride, so that's fine.

Everyone wants to make it all a black and white issue with clear boundaries, but like life, it rarely is.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I really love how the vast majority of people on this subject are the same ones who claim to "love OUR sport", as if it belonged to you. Yet you all write in with the most vile claims and acusations, along with name calling, etc., etc. So THIS is love of the sport, huh???

Care to give us your opinion on the whole story then, Dennis?

Oh, silly me, of course you don't.

If anything I always seem to hit a nerve when I say something like that. Care to enlighten us as to why that is afx?

No, I don't care to enlighten you, simply because we've had the same conversation on multiple previous occasions - mainly where I end up explaining my position, and you reply with a comment of no substance whatsoever.

Definately a nerve.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:

definitely a nerve.

Why are you here? Seriously. If you're a Lance fanboy, that's fine. I can respect that. But you just seem to post pointless stuff about things you clearly have no idea about?

What is your motivation?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    AidanR wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I really love how the vast majority of people on this subject are the same ones who claim to "love OUR sport", as if it belonged to you. Yet you all write in with the most vile claims and acusations, along with name calling, etc., etc. So THIS is love of the sport, huh???

Care to give us your opinion on the whole story then, Dennis?

Oh, silly me, of course you don't.

If anything I always seem to hit a nerve when I say something like that. Care to enlighten us as to why that is afx?

No, I don't care to enlighten you, simply because we've had the same conversation on multiple previous occasions - mainly where I end up explaining my position, and you reply with a comment of no substance whatsoever.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

:wink:

Sorry Dennis, it had to be said...

Not sure how to take that. Whether I'm the idiot or he is, but in either case it works for me.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

definitely a nerve.

Thanks for proving my point.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    I think he's suggesting you are the idiot Dennis.

Lord alone knows how he arrived at that conclusion from your posts.
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Could a positive testosterone result from a blood transfusion from another body who had taken the drug at or around the time the blood was drawn, or even the rider himself had taken testosterone at an earlier time (to aid recovery during an intensive period of training perhaps), had his blood drawn prematurely - before the drug had completely left his system - and then produced a positive result after the tainted blood was transfused ?

In both scenarios, the individual could honestly say that they hadn't taken testosterone itself since their last test but the result would suggest otherwise......

Would also be interesting to know what aspect the FBI would be investigating - would the perjury or the attempted blackmail be the felony that they would be pursuing?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857

Its being investigated by the FDA (Food and Drug administration) and Landis been speaking to one of its agents Jeff Novitzky. He is the former IRS agent (not FBI) that led the Balco investigation that led to Marion Jones perjuring herself and her subsequent imprisonment
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Statement from Radioshack now up, according to LA on Twitter
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    DaveyL wrote:
    Why don't you at least consider the alternative?
    Because I believe it would be much harder to 'engineer a testosterone positive' than you try to make out, especially when multiple samples are involved; such an action would be without precedent; no motive or 'suspect' has been named etc.

I think that in Landis’ mind his supposed ‘innocence’ relates to the fact that the T/E ratio tests were found to be inconclusive and so, in his mind at least, did not justify running the definitive IRMS tests. He also probably believes that they way he was using testosterone was properly managed and as such he was ‘safe’ and that he did not slip up.

Perhaps, just perhaps, someone tipped off the testers that Landis was using testosterone and the IRMS tests were done because they knew they would find something, even if the T/E ratio tests were inconclusive. Still, such ‘targeted’ or intelligence-led testing is exactly what bodies such as the UCI are supposedly aiming for and does not mean that the labs were in any way complicit.

No, it would be dead easy to engineer a testosterone positive, for someone who knew what they were doing. We're not talking the epo test here, for starters. And if you can do one, of course you can do 5 or 6.

And the T/E results *weren't* inconclusive, so all your talk about going straight to IRMS is off the mark. Sure, they do that - they did it with Justin Gatlin - but not here.

You "think that in Landis's mind..." ? No, he said he didn't take testosterone for any of the 2006 season. But you're happy to brush that off, buy all the other stuff he said, *and* decide what he was really thinking? Chapeau.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    deal wrote:

Its being investigated by the FDA (Food and Drug administration) and Landis been speaking to one of its agents Jeff Novitzky. He is the former IRS agent (not FBI) that led the Balco investigation that led to Marion Jones perjuring herself and her subsequent imprisonment

A word of caution - with the BALCO case there was a ton of hard evidence - positives tests etc.

Let's see what they dig up here.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    andylav wrote:
    Could a positive testosterone result from a blood transfusion from another body who had taken the drug at or around the time the blood was drawn, or even the rider himself had taken testosterone at an earlier time (to aid recovery during an intensive period of training perhaps), had his blood drawn prematurely - before the drug had completely left his system - and then produced a positive result after the tainted blood was transfused ?

No. The amounts would have to be utterly minimal.

You'd be putting testosterone into your system. Some of it would go to the liver, the muscles, some into the bloodstream. You then withdraw a pint of blood from those 8 pints. You infuse it back into your body at a later date - this tiny amount of testosterone is now diluted down as it is mixed with the other 8 pints. Then *some* of that gets into your urine.

You'd end up with a *tiny* amount that way.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    They could have posted the emails in the correct order, couldn't they? Jeez...
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    How do I bag the film rights to all this ?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    afx237vi wrote:

what is all this sh1t

basically floyd was trying to blackmail them or something?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    afx237vi wrote:
    They could have posted the emails in the correct order, couldn't they? Jeez...

Some sort of minimum of formatting would have helped. I've got a headache through trying to read who said what....

Seems to be at least half of a conversation missing as well....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    le patron wrote:

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

what is all this sh1t

I just skim-read it, but if there is supposed to be a smoking gun there that damns Landis, er, I'm failing to see it.

How did Radio Shack get Messick's emails? And why are there no emails from RS or Armstrong. There is clearly a dialogue going on, but we're only seeing what Landis and Kay said.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Losing interest now. Big smokescreen of emails that I couldn't decipher after one pass. Some juicy stuff in there, but not entirely sure what to conclude.

Off to drink some beers, I mean hit the turbo, then I'll come back to see if anyone has posted a nice-bullet point summary.
  • mididoctors
    le patron wrote:

:lol:

lets get this straight an evil french lab faked results against LA and landis but Landis was fcked over while LA wasn't and in response Landis tried to get a job on Radioshack but was refused so he tried to blackmail LA with allegations that are unfounded

makes sense to me

if I wanted revenge on that french lab thats what I would do
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Thanks DaveyL - suspected my thinking might be overly simplistic
  • Doobz
    afx237vi wrote:

what is all this sh1t

He wanted to Race the TOC. Organiser said no and he started spilling the beans
    cartoon.jpg
  • dennisn
    le patron wrote:

Now that's the best comment / idea I've heard yet. Everyone one on this topic would go
    see it at least 6 or 8 times. Especially if it's really down and out and gritty / sleazy. These
    guys seem to love that kind of stuff. You'll make millions. :wink::wink:
  • afx237vi
    le patron wrote:
    Losing interest now. Big smokescreen of emails that I couldn't decipher after one pass. Some juicy stuff in there, but not entirely sure what to conclude.

Off to drink some beers, I mean hit the turbo, then I'll come back to see if anyone has posted a nice-bullet point summary.

If anything, the juiciest bit is Floyd's claim that Armstrong was making threatening phone calls to Dr. Kay.

Basically, the whole revolves around Floyd being pissed that Bahati Foundation weren't invited to the TOC and other crap teams like Spidertech were. That's it? And Kay has some crazy ideas about Floyd joining RS and riding the Vuelta. And...? What are we supposed to glean from this fascinating information?