Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I do love the way that you justify your position Biking Bernie by saying that you would stand up and stand up proud. Very easy for you to say seeing as you are just a load of characters on a computer screen. I don't understand why we are having a go at Wiggins who is held to be clean and has said stuff against doping. Why is the focus against him all of a sudden - why isn't it against those who are clean and said nothing? Why isn't it against all of those who aren't clean and said nothing? What has Alberto said today, what have the Schlecks said, what has Fabian C or Philip G or Evans or Sastre or Nibali said?

Maybe they're saying nothing until the situation becomes clearer and they are more appraised of the facts. That would be a smart thing to do....
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited May 2010
    RichN95 wrote:
    OK, have it your way, the 'old' Wiggins in putting himself up as a hard-line champion of the anti-doping movement was just blowing hot air. :wink:
    He wasn't putting himself up as a champion at all. He was asked questions and he gave honest answers. Nowadays, the journalists have more interesting things to ask him about.
    "it's my role as a role-model to expose it and not pretend it isn't happening"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... feb05news2
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2010
    mroli wrote:
    I don't understand why we are having a go at Wiggins who is held to be clean and has said stuff against doping. Why is the focus against him all of a sudden - why isn't it against those who are clean and said nothing?
    Er, as yet Wiggins has said nothing about the revelations of Landis, which is the point of this whole discussion.

That said, I agree that there are plenty of others who have an even greater need to speak out, especially those with 'inside knowledge', such as Vaughters.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Let's hope that is true and that good triumphs over evil.

Most of the people involved profess to love the sport. Let them show it.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800

I like this the most
    I really cannot see him going to the Tour de France. My understanding is that there is now a federal investigation under way, and you don’t mess with those people. I think this could be the end of him, to be honest.”
    cartoon.jpg
  • BikingBernie
    What will probably happen is that the more powerful will triumph over the less powerful. 'Good and evil', let alone concepts such as 'morality' and 'justice', probably don't even enter into the equation. :(
  • frenchfighter
    Doobz definitely a good part that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    What will probably happen is that the more powerful will triumph over the less powerful. 'Good and evil', let alone concepts such as 'morality' and 'justice', probably don't even enter into the equation. :(
    my fear too sadly...

Too many of the protagonists Landis names are likely to hide rather than stand up for the truth.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I think Kimmage is more saying that he WANTS to happen rather than what will. The UCI have already ignored this and nothing from the ASO so can't see this affecting Lance and the tour at all
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Am I the only one who thinks Floyd may be deranged and is cobbling together a mix of what he knows, what he thinks he knows and what he has from other others?

I believe that USPS was a doping operation par excelllence. What I'm less inclined to believe is that Armstrong, Landis and Bottle chilled their red stuff next to the Bud Lites in the boss' fridge.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Timoid. wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks Floyd may be deranged and is cobbling together a mix of what he knows, what he thinks he knows and what he has from other others?

I believe that USPS was a doping operation par excelllence. What I'm less inclined to believe is that Armstrong, Landis and Bottle chilled their red stuff next to the Bud Lites in the boss' fridge.

But why not? LA is a well-reknowned control-freak and his Girona pad was well-known as a hub for US cyclists in Europe
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Barry denies, big George denies, everyone denies, no witnesses, no material evidence...no case??
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Barry denies, big George denies, everyone denies, no witnesses, no material evidence...no case??

People who think this story has any legs are just wishful thinking Im afraid.
  • timoid.
    All depends on what the feds do. Lying to a Federal agent under oath is quite something.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    edited May 2010
    Timoid. wrote:

It's an odd mix of claims indeed.

He says that in the 2006 Tour he was blood doping and taking HGH, but says he never touched synthetic testosterone in the 2006 season.

From his claims, one might be forced to conclude that he was indeed "fitted up" for that testosterone +ve - if everything he says is true.

Now that would be a whole other can of worms. UCI, AFLD, ASO?

If you can cover up an athlete's positive, why can't you manufacture one for an athlete you know has been doping and that you'd like to see the back of?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Timoid. wrote:
    All depends on what the feds do. Lying to a Federal agent under oath is quite something.

it would only be lying if they found some evidence though.
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    Timoid. wrote:

^ This. For every nugget of detail that seems to tip the scales against the people he names, there's something on the other side (eg "I have more but can you be trusted?") that undermines his credibility a nearly corresponding amount.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Depends what evidence Floyd has, doesn't it? He was pretty much caught on the hop by the letter being leaked, so he was as unprepared for this as everyone else.

OTOH, Dave_1 could be right.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

nobody will take the witness stand for Landis,... hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, will be the response of every last one of the accused if it goes to court-which is hard to imagine on the basis of a he said, and they said type dispute
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Timoid. wrote:

While I don't think he's deliberately lying, and the jist of it is probably true, I'm not willing to accept everything is definitely true.

And this isn't because of Landis personally, but because of the limitations of the human mind. Memories aren't perfect. We tend blur similar events together and jumble them up. Ask two people for an account of an event five years ago and there will be plenty of contradictions, but neither is lying.

So when he says he trained with certain riders and did drugs with them, this may be separate events merged together.

He clearly hasn't fact checked (or spell checked) his work, so there are probably false memories in there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

nobody will take the witness stand for Landis,... hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, will be the response of every last one of the accused if it goes to court-which is hard to imagine on the basis of a he said, and they said type dispute

Ah, but game theory comes into play no? Someone may crack.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Who though? I just don't see any likely candidate. The people named are all still involved in cycling, either as riders or management. They all have positions to protect.

Now, if there was someone who was out of the game to back him up, that would be a different story. That mysterious bus driver...
  • dave_1
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I doubt it. They are all still involved in the sport, they are out to save their own skin first, not only LA's. Hard to see this going any further unless Floyd brings evidence out...he'll get no help from anyone he implicated. How can they start a court case?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    Timoid. wrote:

yeah I thought it sounded very rough and grubby

but who knows

your right about Floyds cred...if he is caught making stuff up (What he thinks he knows) then it all falls over... would LA and the hog share anecdotes about how they bribed V-Brug?

BUT getting a strange vibe about this mainly from the degree of silence surrounding all this that suggests it is all closer to the mark...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    From his claims, one might be forced to conclude that he was indeed "fitted up" for that testosterone +ve - if everything he says is true.
    It is much more likely that he feels he has to continue to claim that he didn't take testosterone because admitting that he did will also require him to admit that he scammed all those who contributed to his 'defense fund', and he doesn't want to alienate all his hard-core supporters.

In any case not even Landis ever claimed he was 'fitted up' and all allegations to the effect that the definitive IRMS tests were in some way flawed were rejected by the Court Of Arbitration For Sport.
  • frenchfighter
    A statement from @TeamRadioShack's counsel re: recent allegations is forthcoming. Will b quite a few email exchanges that r very interesting

Check www.teamradioshack.com within the hour. Thanks for all the support.

- From Lance's twitter about 10mins ago
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    This quote from CBS' Mike Freeman sums up my attitude to Landis
    Landis is a jerk. He's desperate. He has nothing. He may also be telling the truth
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    Timoid. wrote:
    This quote from CBS' Mike Freeman sums up my attitude to Landis
    Landis is a jerk. He's desperate. He has nothing. He may also be telling the truth

that is pretty good
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    Cycling Fans Anonymous twiiter is worth a look:

http://twitter.com/cyclingfansanon
    Contador is the Greatest