30+ North West Club

Comments

• rockinrob wrote:
    just had a very exhausting ride out, 25.6 miles my furthest ride upto now took me 1hr 55min avg 13.3, suppose will get better with time?

Good effort! The first time I went that distance I had to stop at a newsie's to get an enormous bag of jelly babies to get me the last five miles home.

The hills don't get easier though they do get shorter...

Andy
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    You're doing great :)

Having had a break for a short time I went out yesterday morning and found I had actually got better. Not only did I cover the flats at around 20mph but the steep hills heading towards Chapeltown didn't cause me as much grief. Went out again today, same route trying to push myself to stay out longer - direct orders from my CPN who thinks I should stay out longer each time.

One of the climbs, linked below, is short but a little sod. Doesn't look much on this picture but it's hard work.
    Stones Bank Road

This is Green Arms Road, I like this. It's not the smoothest of roads but for some odd reason it's very easy to ride, even uphill. You eventually end up in Egerton and Chapeltown, really nice little area which hasn't been scallie infected yet.
    Green Arms Lane

This is Scout Road, a route I take because I love the view.
    Scout Road
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    i had a spin out 2day coppull :arrow: standish :arrow: parbold :arrow: newburgh :arrow: lathom :arrow: hoscar moss into mawdsley to eccleston up to charnock and home!
    didnt break any records 1hour 25 min? :oops:
    if anybody fancies a run out saturday morning i will be leaving freddy's at 9am heading for bolton :arrow: blackburn area?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Dcab why didnt you say I would have been up for that today as it was my day off, I have access to my mums car (mine doesnt fit a cycle in or on) and I could have dumped it in the back and met you in standish (im a standish lad born and bred ) I had to content myself with an 8 mile run and an hours walk round rivvy when the other half got home.

I'm off next thursday.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • wasi1984
    wasi1984 Posts: 37
    Well after not riding for 10 years I cracked my 1st 10 miler yesterday.

Feels great aswell :D

Same again today I think
  • Lancslad
    wasi1984 wrote:
    Well after not riding for 10 years I cracked my 1st 10 miler yesterday.

Feels great aswell :D

Same again today I think

Good stuff, my first 10 miler in 15 years was when I rode the bike home from the shop. :D
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Bunneh
    Going to head offroad tonight if anyone fancies it. THe bike I have is quite old so it's not really suited to a long distance offroady run, but it should be fine for a trip around Rivington. If anyone's interested post here and we can arrange to meet somewhere.
  • dcab
    rockinrob wrote:
    just had a very exhausting ride out, 25.6 miles my furthest ride upto now took me 1hr 55min avg 13.3, suppose will get better with time?

where abouts in chorley are you?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    Mornin'.

If anyone is interested I'll be out this evening around 7pm on my little 20 mile curcuit. Usually takes about an hour unless I deviate a different route.

Dcab, you want to try and get out this Monday evening?
  • rockinrob
    rockinrob Posts: 8
    im just of tootel st, hoping to get out sunday morning as we just got back from camping & working tonight
  • dcab
    Dcab, you want to try and get out this Monday evening?[/quote]

i will have to let you know on that one?
    just done a nice steady 40 with my mate, thought i might have seen one or two faces?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    No worries, glad you managed to get out.

I've sorted a forum out for us, just messing with the settings at the moment. It would just make it a little easier to organise things.

http://30plusnwcycling.proboards.com

Registrations are now active, although I need to verify each account made. As much as this is a pain in the butt it stops the spammers. Peeps won't gain access until I verify the account, so try and sign up using your names on this forum so I know who people are.

As it stands I'm not sure else we need to add to the forum, 3 catagories seem fine to me but feel free to let me know on fine tuning. I'll sort out a front page for us eventually but at the moment my website designing skills are rusty, I'll fiddle with it over the next week or so.
  • Rabbitman I've had to reg as fungusmctavish as fungus the muffin man won't fit :cry:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • dcab
    have you all been putting in the miles this weekend?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bunneh wrote:
    No worries, glad you managed to get out.

I've sorted a forum out for us, just messing with the settings at the moment. It would just make it a little easier to organise things.

http://30plusnwcycling.proboards.com

Registrations are now active, although I need to verify each account made. As much as this is a pain in the butt it stops the spammers. Peeps won't gain access until I verify the account, so try and sign up using your names on this forum so I know who people are.

As it stands I'm not sure else we need to add to the forum, 3 catagories seem fine to me but feel free to let me know on fine tuning. I'll sort out a front page for us eventually but at the moment my website designing skills are rusty, I'll fiddle with it over the next week or so.

All I see on the Captcha is an advert... :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sorted (just refreshed it!)
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Bunneh I`m well impressed how you have gone about this what nice bike radar spirit.
    New baby makes it hard for me to get out at the minute,but maybe one day soon i may be able to tag along.All the best to you and the crew.
  • Bunneh
    Ta, we'd like to see more faces so feel free to turn up when you can.

Tonight's ride is meeting at the Crown in Horwich, 6pm. If someone can't be there for that time maybe we can meet them a little later at another location. Be nice to have a few more faces :)
  • rockinrob
    rockinrob Posts: 8
    :lol: just don my 1st ride over 30 miles, went over towards Southport, turn off at the leisure lakes then came back through Rufford, Parbold(2 stops on the way up) Eccleston, Charnock Richard, Euxton then Home 34.5 Miles :D hope you have a good ride out tonight
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Well done Rob - give me a shout if u fancy that route again I live in Rufford so would happily accompany you.

Dont you just love Parbold Hill - the sense of achievement of getting up there without stopping is great, give it 6 weeks and u will be there. Believe me the first time i tried i stopped and thought i was having a god damn cardiac.
  • dcab
    mr_poll wrote:
    Well done Rob - give me a shout if u fancy that route again I live in Rufford so would happily accompany you.

Dont you just love Parbold Hill - the sense of achievement of getting up there without stopping is great, give it 6 weeks and u will be there. Believe me the first time i tried i stopped and thought i was having a god damn cardiac.
    we thought we had killed you off! were you been hiding?
    you should have been out with the bunster and i last night if you like the hills so much???? think i coughed up a lung at one point! bunneh even stopped talking :shock:
    are you on it wednesday?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    I think we scared him :D
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Scared my ass!

Told you lot I had a busy cpl of weeks - I have been riding in the hills of North Wales, not fun well a little.

Cannot make tomorrow as my ex has switched days about and looks like I am having the kids. Gonna try and go for a spin on Thursday as looks like Sunday might now be a goer. Had arranged for a world cup BBQ and house warming on Saturday night so Sunday was earmarked as recovery however it turns out I have no friends therefore Saturday will be a sober evening of watching us beat the Yanks (i hope). Therefore perhaps an appearance at the Rivi 50 might be in order. I mailed the organisers today but heard nothing - anyone know anything about timings etc?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ooh was just to going to ask if anybody is still up for Rivi at the weekend. You just beat me to it.

Would love to do the 100 as the scenery on that longer loop is fantastic but 100 miles is a brain fart too far for me right now. Fitness is good but nowhere near that level of endurance.

I will be sporting my new tour series jersey but it may be hidden under a mid weight at current rate!

No idea on timings but there is a phone no. here:

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=2312
  • dcab
    my fitness is down my weight is up but i think i can drag myself round 52 mile
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    *pats Mr Poll* It's okay to be scared, me talking you to death, Dcab growling at motorists - hell it scares me sometimes :P

Had an interesting run last night; did the same run myself and Dcab did Monday; I was quite pleased with my speed too. A few annoyances though - a big hello to the roadies who just shot past me at around 30mph without any warning, making me wobble and then refusing to even grunt a greeting - hope you didn't bang your egos on any low bridges. Must admit it spurred me on, I flew up one of the roads that normally kills me and got around the circuit with an average speed of around 18mph.

Popped into a friend's house in Horwich for a free drink, then headed back along the new road. 'BANG!' bloody puncture! I wasn't far from home, around a mile so I decided to walk it - this incident led to me seeing the nice side of human nature as I wandered along a long road home. I walked past this guy's house, in the very upper class area of Bolton (I'm talking two cars here). As I waddled past he says 'How far you got to go?' I was around quarter of a mile from home and he was actually willing to give me a lift in his Mercedes and put the bike in the back! Just goes to show that there's still a few nice people out there!
  • Guys I'm pretty sure that you can pay on the day for rivi. I'm looking to be there for this one so what time we meeting up at?

I'll be easily recognisable in my edinburgh cycles tiop. Plus Ive already met Bunneh.

Oh I'm going out for a ride tomorrow day time if anyone fancies it.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Bunneh
    There's a ride scheduled for Thursday Muffin, I believe Lancs Lad is playing out and hopefully I should be too!
  • Lancslad
    I got a pass for tonight if something is planned. If not I'll go for a run and join you tomorrow morning/afternoon?

Fungus I'm up for tomorrow too, its my day off
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dcab
    crown 6.30?
    veritas vos liberabit