30+ North West Club

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    The Rivi 50 starts 10am - be a bit earlier for registration - £18 before Thursday or £20 on the day. The 100 starts at 8am. Decision made I am doing it, the 50 that is - will have the 100 as a target for next year (please dont remind me of that when I wimp out and do the 50 again)

I am free tonight or tomorrow but work dictates that I couldnt get over Chorley way until 7 - what route are u thinking tonight DCAB? Perhaps I can rendevous with you part way through? However if its pi$$ing down I might run out tomorrow.
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    can you be at freddys for 7 ? im sure we can bimble about for 30 mins then come and get you?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • mr_poll
    Yep I will be there for 7 - like i say if the weather becomes horrid I wont - a light shower or a bit of cold doesnt bother me.

See you there.
  • rockinrob
    rockinrob Posts: 8
    well i got out tonight at short notice, did a very hard 25 miles with the wind i my face, thought someone had nicked my lungs at one point! went from chorley :arrow: wheelton :arrow: withnell fold :arrow: m65 roundabout :arrow: abbey village :arrow: over belmont :arrow: horwich :arrow: adlington :arrow: then back into chorley, now for a soak :)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    rockinrob wrote:
    :lol: just don my 1st ride over 30 miles, went over towards Southport, turn off at the leisure lakes then came back through Rufford, Parbold(2 stops on the way up)

Parbold hill is a serious 14% climb, its gets easier the more you do it, well done old chap. A good one fo rthe legs is to turn tound at the wiggin tree, go down and left at the round about up higher lane/beacons hill, left down crow lane, left again and into applby bridge, theres a naughy hill out of it and you end up robin hood lane.

By the way any of you guys know the best way to get from the wiggin tree to Rivinington pike?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mr_poll
    Hi Cleat nice to have you with is. Yep agree with the Parbold Hill comments. As for Rivi, if you want to do it from the top of Parbold Hill then I would carry straight on through to Standish - straight through the traffic lights in the centre. Down to bottom the take a left and climb up to Fredricks Ice Cream at Duxbury - take a right at TL's keeping Freddies on the left - take the fork to the left up to Anderton. You will hit a cross road in the centre with some more TL's then climb the hill to the top of Long Lane - You will see Rivi in front of you, its right here then follow the signs/head for the pike.

Good ride today and 4 of us made it !!! Nice route that despite my time living around Chorley I have never biked that before - nasty little 17% hill that dCabs found - evil man.
  • dcab
    your going over it from the other side on sunday :twisted:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    mr_poll wrote:
    Hi Cleat nice to have you with is. Yep agree with the Parbold Hill comments. As for Rivi, if you want to do it from the top of Parbold Hill then I would carry straight on through to Standish - straight through the traffic lights in the centre. Down to bottom the take a left and climb up to Fredricks Ice Cream at Duxbury - take a right at TL's keeping Freddies on the left - take the fork to the left up to Anderton. You will hit a cross road in the centre with some more TL's then climb the hill to the top of Long Lane - You will see Rivi in front of you, its right here then follow the signs/head for the pike.

Good ride today and 4 of us made it !!! Nice route that despite my time living around Chorley I have never biked that before - nasty little 17% hill that dCabs found - evil man.

Or alternatively you take a right at the bottom (after you've gone through the lights at standish)go to the round about take a left go up redrock follow that till you get to a round about then take a left follow that till you come to a T junction turn right then turn left at the next set of lights, go till you get to another set of lights turn right and that drops you opposite the crown pub, turn left then follow the signs.

p.s. Redrock is an evil climb dont know what grade though

Ok that was evil tonight I had to stop halfway up a little hill, I'm such a failure!! :evil:
    Still I enjoyed it.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dcab
    somebody else had to stop half way up aswell?
    hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

sond familiar bunneh? :lol:
    veritas vos liberabit
  • mr_poll
    Have to say it was a cheap trick by bunneh to pop his own tyre just so he could have a rest :lol:

LancsLad - wasnt that little, ur hill legs will come just keep going at it - to be honest i was f**ked at the top hence why we didnt down for an age to find you and bunneh.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276

Parbold hill is a serious 14% climb, its gets easier the more you do it, well done old chap. A good one fo rthe legs is to turn tound at the wiggin tree, go down and left at the round about up higher lane/beacons hill, left down crow lane, left again and into applby bridge, theres a naughy hill out of it and you end up robin hood lane.
    Or you could do it the other way round and go up Roby Mill hill instead of down it, that`s really tough.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Pfft leave my punctures alone!

Yeah last night's ride was fun, if somewhat tiring. I think I peaked too soon on the hill up towards the drop around Anglezarke, oops! Lancslad did great and it was nice to see Mr Poll again - you get used to the hills, Dcab likes taking people up hills :twisted:

Checked that puncture I suspect something is hidden inside the tyre, same area again. I checked the tyre thoroughly but found nout so either I'm unlucky with thorns or it's very well hidden.

Reet, who fancies the Rake then? :lol:
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    brakes fettled,gears fettled, pedals on!
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dcab
    morstar wrote:
    Ooh was just to going to ask if anybody is still up for Rivi at the weekend. You just beat me to it.

Would love to do the 100 as the scenery on that longer loop is fantastic but 100 miles is a brain fart too far for me right now. Fitness is good but nowhere near that level of endurance.

I will be sporting my new tour series jersey but it may be hidden under a mid weight at current rate!

No idea on timings but there is a phone no. here:

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails.aspx?eventid=2312
    anyone doing the 52 can set off between 9-10, i will be there at about 9.15?
    i am aiming to set off at 10.00, i will be the one on the black cervelo with the snotty green bar tape?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • mr_poll
    OK I am all paid up and ready for the Rivi 50 - I met the organiser today they seem pretty friendly and want to make it a real success so fingers crossed.

I aim to get there around 9:30 - to register and pick up my timing chip - for the start around 10. Looking forward to it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I will also be hitting Horwich around 9:30 ish but haven't met any of you yet so meeting up may be tricky.

I am still debating doing the 100 which is completely ridiculous as I have simply not done the prep. In all fairness to myself I don't often get to ride in the day time so am all excited at the thought. Even at weekend it is invariably evening riding once I've worn the kids out.

Anyhoo, I will either be sporting a bright orange tour series jersey (which I haven't earned the right to wear :twisted: ) or almost invisble in my black and blue mid weight top. I will be on a rust speckled Raleigh with down tube shifters and an alarming lack of climbing gears.

If I nip to my parents house (in Nottingham) I believe there is a 4 foot tall flexible flag pole that attaches to a rear axle. Tempted to go and get it..

P.S. Cycling there from Chorley if anybody fancies rounding up the 52 to 62 miles. (That is my compromise for not doing the 100)(still tempted though).
  • antfly
    Twenty quid aint cheap to ride 50 miles on the public roads. What do you get for your money?
  • mr_poll
    Antfly - this has often been discussed on the forum - the debate falls in to 2 camps.

1 - £20 to ride on a public road seems excessive / Why do i want to ride around dodging idiots that dont know how to group ride / Cycling is meant to about freedom I dont want to follow some predefined route.

2 - Firstly it's for a good cause - the profits go to a good local charity (a well as raising awareness for them from associated media of the event). Its an opportunity for cyclists to meet up, this thread is a prime example running for a few weeks we have maxed 4 riders at once, this will bring ppl together and perhaps start friendships and more members for cycling clubs who ride it and our little fun club. Its a good chance for solo riders to group ride. Sometimes its good to have a target - something to aim for, train for the 50 miles or 100 miles then see what u can do and pit yourself against other riders.

On a functional basis - this the second time that this sportive has been run - it got good comments last year about signage and marshalls - i met the organiser today who mentioned there will be water stations spread around the route with a feed station at the 25 mile/75mile mark. Oh they have those official timing chip thingy, and if u want to do the 100 mile one they are running a King of the Mountains on one the nastier climbs near Pendle.

Its my first ever sportive so I suppose i can tell you better on Sunday night.
  • antfly
    Oh I didn`t realise the money went to charity, I suppose that makes a difference.
    I just plotted the 100 mile route on memorymap and excluding the bit from the start to Longridge and back there is over 6000ft of climbing and some of it is over 20%.
    That is some tough ride.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Apologies for being off the seen for a week or two.............bloody on-call.

I've been shafted for on-call this week again (not my turn but sicknotes and all that) so can't do Rivvy 100. It's not I'm not allowed out just need to be able to get back to my house within 30 mins :(

Tempted to cycle over to Horwich though to wave you off (if that doesn't seem like taking the p1.... :shock:

As I'm typing this after being at work all night at least I get the chance to play out Friday afternoon. I believe I may even seen the sun.

Good Luck to all in the Rivvy. :D
  • Bunneh
    Might be worth you guys meeting up at a pre-arranged location about 20m before the event. At least then you can see each other easily. Once you get to know each others' faces you know who to avoid in the future :lol:
  • We now (sort of*) have a website: www.nw30cc.org.uk

Andy

*currently redirects to the forum Bunneh set up.
  • ellie.velo
    ellie.velo Posts: 33
    Blimey you guys have been busy while I've been stuffing my face with cakes while on holiday- ahhhh you just got to love all-inclusive! The turbo will be getting a dusting off tomorrow though!
  • morstar
    Well folks the Rivi 52 proved to be a great ride out. Much thanks to Dcab and his mate Franks wheel to follow for the last 15 miles or so. Iwould have happily churned along for the remainder on my ownbut it was a big help having you there. Riding past the end of my road alone with another 5 slightly undulating miles to go might have been an ask too far.
    Cheers guys an enjoyable ride. Perfect timing also weatherwise (unless you happened to be riding home)
    The mrs insisted on collecting me so the kids could come! Only one came and he was asleep! Still not a bad result for me considering the weather.
  • dcab
    we never leave a man behind unless fatally wounded?
    in which case we would have left you a pistol to finish the job! :lol:
    nice to meet another new face, will sort a ride that fits in with your timetable.
    veritas vos liberabit
  • mr_poll
    Fantastic day today - really enjoyed it - weather held off, nice to meet morstar and good experience of group riding especially after we turned for home really felt the benefit.

Apologies for not hanging back I assumed you guys would gobble me back up at some point.

So next year the 100? :lol:

Bunneh you missed a trick there were women in lycra there!!!
  • morstar
    dcab wrote:
    we never leave a man behind unless fatally wounded?
    in which case we would have left you a pistol to finish the job! :lol:
    nice to meet another new face, will sort a ride that fits in with your timetable.

I didn't realise you were riding with a concealed weapon. Good job I wasn't fatally wounded I suppose! Who'd of thought that eh?

May be able to come out and play tomorrow after all if anything is on. Youngest is potentially going to gymastics with his sister which means I will be free.
  • morstar
    mr_poll wrote:
    Fantastic day today - really enjoyed it - weather held off, nice to meet morstar and good experience of group riding especially after we turned for home really felt the benefit.

Apologies for not hanging back I assumed you guys would gobble me back up at some point.

So next year the 100? :lol:

Bunneh you missed a trick there were women in lycra there!!!
    Nice to meet you too Mr Poll. No offence at your departure. My fault that one.
    Am suspecting I may need to go down the compact route fairly shortly but that does mean a new steed as the Raleigh is keeping its original spec. (except for a respray for Xmas). Could have stuck a 28 tooth on the cassette today but my aged technology never runs well with it on. I suspect grinding up the climbs took its toll today.

P.s. I won't let on to Bunneh that the average age of the female riders was pensionable.
  • Bunneh
    Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?
  • dcab
    Bunneh wrote:
    Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?
    thats just wrong :roll:
    veritas vos liberabit