30+ North West Club

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I've run a small club in the past and it was pretty successful, since I've been throwing the idea about my head, and posting it in my blog, I have had a couple of guys show interest in the idea.

The club would be based in the North West of England (Bolton, Bury, Chorley, Rochdale etc) and will cater for the over 30, relatively unfit, casual roadie who just wants to get a little fitter with similar people. If the idea takes off, which I suspect it will if I put the effort in, we could develop into something quite nice. We'd be looking at weekend rides, Sunday morning starts, around 11am until we all get out of puff and fall over gasping for beer.

Support car/s from significant others are welcome! :lol:

So if you're interested please post in this thread, or send me a PM. I'd prefer there be a few people interested before we meet, at least then if I do turn out to be a crackpot you can hogtie me and run away. Internet safety and all that jazz :)

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Sounds like a great idea - sadly I am too far away otherwise this would be right up my street.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Sorry - meant to add good luck with this project - should attract some interest.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Good luck with this, but steady on suggesting anyone 30+ is out of shape!

:wink::lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There's definitely an interest out there for a new club which is 'friendly' rather than grim & unwelcoming.

We're a bit further over than you, Warrington/North Cheshire area, started-up end of last year and are now up to 40 members.
  • alexb151
    alexb151 Posts: 1
    Id be intrested, im not over 30 but not very fit at moment, from preston.
  • Hi pal,

I`d be very interested in this as would a few of my pals, but saturday is a better day for me, would you consider changing the day from sunday ?
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I would love to do this but weekends are out for me. Jot my name down and if you do any week day rides I would be interested
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    im in chorley go out week day evenings saturday & or sunday mornings if thats any use to any one?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Desmos4
    Desmos4 Posts: 5
    I'm definitely interested in this, may not be able to do every Sunday due to work commitments but willing to give it a try

Oh aye I'm from Horwich

Cheers Desmo
  • dcab
    are any of you riding the rivington 100 in june? Ive signed up for the 52 mile, the hundred is out of my league at the moment.
    veritas vos liberabit
  • I live in heywood - so right slap bang in the middle of the area you mentioned- and have been looking to join a club for a while. So i'd be well up for this. I also work varying shifts so I could help with organising mid week rides as well for people as I do the majority of my riding during the week.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    This is cracking idea, read lots about unfriendly clubs that play drop the newbie which has put me off. So Bunneh your club gets the thumbs up from me. I am based a bit more West Lancs (Rufford) but close enough to get to the area you want to cover.

Think other posters have a point about the flexibility of riding but suppose its gonna depend on numbers - I can do every other Sunday (and the odd Saturday) and will be happy to make a few evening rides. Keep me posted on whether this gets off the ground.

Need to look into the Rvington ride 52 miles would suit me - I am doing the Manc to Blackpool (which I know can be a bit of a mass brawl but is a nice ride) anyone doing that?
  • I'm not doing the manny - pool ride as its sounds just horredous. I think the manchester 100 looks a much better prospect.

As for the rivvy sportive. I'm up for doing the 50 miler if we want to arrange a meet up. I'm doing london to paris on the wed after it so will be looking for a nice easyish spin out to keep my legs supple.

Does anyone fancy getting togther while we're looking at sorting stuff out for a ride sometime?
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • dcab
    are we getting anywhere bunneh?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Could you also do one for the West / East Sussex border??? :D

Obviously we're all soft shandy-drinkers, but don't let that put you off! :wink:
  • dcab
    Could you also do one for the West / East Sussex border??? :D

Obviously we're all soft shandy-drinkers, but don't let that put you off! :wink:

we will be passing down your way on our sunday runs? you can tag on!
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    :?: Dave, is the "goat thing" still part of the initiation ceremony?
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • So who's up for going for a ride out around rivvy or somewhere local?

Maybe we could sort one out for sun? Or even a midweek ride for next week?

Or are you all chicken :wink:
  • jimcocai
    jimcocai Posts: 1
    me too i would love to do it, but my weekends are all messed up
  • dcab
    cant do this sunday fungus ,im in the lakes but any sunday in future or week nights i can usually be in rivvy for 6pm ? let me know!
    veritas vos liberabit
  • I'd be interested (based in Norden) - weekends not so great for me due to combination of shift patterns & wifely pressure when I am off though - midweek usually easier.

Andy
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Mid week next week is good for me, as long as mid week is Wednesday, if ppl are up for a Rivington ride.

Need to get something formal set up but a informal meet might be a good place to start.
  • Bugger wed is the only day I can't do owt as its the missus's birthday.

I'm sorting a ride out for tue with a mate during the day if anyone fancies it. Will probs be a 10am meet up. Not sure where yet. Will probs be about 50 miles or there abouts. Nothing to fast just a good spin out it'll be my first decent ride out for a few weeks as i'l be just coming off my night shifts.

I'm still up for a sun ride as well if anyone fancies it
  • Would it be helpful to have an email mailing list? I think I can sort this out pretty easily.

If interested, can you PM me your email address?

Andy
  • Hi Bunneh,

I match all the criteria. I'm interested :D .

(I live in Rochdale.)

ChrisP.
  • Mailing list update:

To subscribe email 30plusNWC-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

Andy
  • I've already sent you a pm fella :D
  • Lancslad
    what average speeds do you chaps do on a ride?
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • It all depends on distance, terrain, weather and wind conditions etc...

If I'm with friends who ride a lot stronger than me I can get pulled along at close to 20mph avg. On my own I can be anywhere from 14-18mph avg depending on a number of factors.

Don't worry about being slower than the rest. I'm sure that if bunneh gets this up and running it won't be a club like those who drop you on the first hill. Plus if you ride properly in a group the slower ones will improve as they get drafted along.

Unless your worried that we will be to slow for you and holding you back.
  • Lancslad
    hehe no fear of you lot holding me back, garmin says i'm averaging about 14mph thats bolton to haydock/haydock to bolton 17 miles and I'm not usually thinking thank goodness thats over. All the same probably best getting a few months under my belt maybe.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)