30+ North West Club

Comments

• ellie.velo wrote:
    If you're having problems with the mailing list. have you thought of facebook (yes my youth showing here!).

Not keen on FB for this, to be honest. Partly that's because I don't like the security/privacy implications of using it, and partly it's because (in a display of technical knowledge unheard of in a public-sector IT department) I can't access FB from work as it's been blocked, whereas the mailing list & Bikeradar are OK.

Andy

PS. I have just realised that I can tell whether people have read PMs or not, so - Carpe Diem, Sgreenfly & Ellie - you have PMs to read.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Dcabs and myself are meeting at 8.30AM this Saturday outside Fredericks for a Southport run. I know Mr Poll can't make it but I hope we can get a few more faces to join us.

Click the image of Fredericks to get the Google Map, make it easier for peeps to get directions.

freds.jpg
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    cool will do thanks :D
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • I take it the use of Frederick's as a meeting point is my fault? :-P

Andy

(Can't make it on Sat as the wife has Plans, and I'm working the BH weekend - sorry)
  • Typically I'm working on Saturday :evil: [/list]
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • ellie.velo
    ellie.velo Posts: 33
    How many miles have you been doing on these rides?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Ellie - we play it by ear depending on whose there.

On Wednesday we did an hour loop was about 13 miles ish. The ride on Saturday is over to Southport from Chorley - but not sure of the route. The pace and routes suit the riders, we are trying to be inclusive as we can - within reason obviously.
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    i was showing 36 miles on wednesday, i was on 20 when i got to freddys?
    Saturday will probably be about 50 but will be a nice easy spin
    Come and give it a go so we can put some faces
    To yhese dodgey names?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    Suggestions for Wednesday Wander being taken! The nights are getting longer so we can 'play out' a little longer than normal before our Mums call us in!

*looks at arms* crikey I'm getting tanned :D
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I've just found this thread and it looks like the 30+NWC might be just the thing for me. Having said that, a 40+++club would have been appropriate, too.

I'm in West Lancs (Ormskirk) and have just started putting some miles in after not doing much cycling for the last couple of years. I primarily want to get fitter and to enjoy the fresh air. My wife cycles too and we will hopefully manage a Manchester-Blackpool type event (or two) this year as we did a couple of years ago.

At the moment we either cycle as a couple or I go out on my own, so more company would be good. I've joined the mailing list and will keep my eye on the plans. I'm working tomorrow so can't join in the ride to Southport, which would have been handy for me.

8)
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Wednesday wanderer - dcabs had a route planned for Freddy's to Wiganish and back until I hijacked it - perhaps we can do that, otherwise if we want the start to be closer to Manc then we could take in RIvi and start more Horwich way.

Lucan - Please join in I am Rufford based so not far from you and I am doing the Manc to B.pool - dont worry about age all welcome Bunneh who set this up didnt want some young fit 20 something hill climbing speed merchant making us look daft.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    mr_poll wrote:
    Lucan - Please join in I am Rufford based so not far from you and I am doing the Manc to B.pool - dont worry about age all welcome Bunneh who set this up didnt want some young fit 20 something hill climbing speed merchant making us look daft.

Yeah he'd rather some 40 something made him look daft instead :lol:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Bunneh
    :( I can't help sucking...wait that came out wrong...er..um...BYE!

:oops:
  • ellie.velo
    mr_poll wrote:
    Ellie - we play it by ear depending on whose there.

On Wednesday we did an hour loop was about 13 miles ish. The ride on Saturday is over to Southport from Chorley - but not sure of the route. The pace and routes suit the riders, we are trying to be inclusive as we can - within reason obviously.

My problem will be although I used to cycle alot, I havent been out much on the bike (only with the partner and step-kids) since I moved here. I also live the Preston end of Chorley, so its about a 12mile round trip to Fredericks- although I am now desperate to work my way through their flavours I don't think I'm quite fit enough to ride to there and then another 13miles on top at the mo :cry:
  • Bunneh
    You could always meet us, have a chat, poke Dcab with a stick (he giggles when you poke his belly) then if you want, tag along. If you don't feel up to it it's fine, it'll be just nice to see you :) We'd just like to see more faces to names; as time goes on I'm sure we will get a little network of people in seperate areas who will be able to ride with each other.

What might work one day would be to meet at Fred's, then ride back your way to Preston, at least then you don't have to have a long ride too far, then have to ride 12 miles back. Do not worry, we'll sort something :)
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    "young fit 20 something hill climbing speed merchant"

Hmmm...
    young? nope
    fit? nope
    20 something? Yea - x2
    hill climbing speed merchant? again, nope

Looks like I'm fully qualified to join in :D
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • ellie.velo
    Thanks Bunneh, either of those options would be good. Could possibly drive over on the next meet then if home-life allows and meet the faces that match the names. Or cycle down, stop for a chat and then ride back, 12 miles are better than none!
    I am desperate to get out and meet people, but know I'm not quite fit enough to keep with you all at the moment.
  • Bunneh
    Dcab: heads up for you. I won't be able to make tomorrow now, looks like one of my spec letters has worked out and I have an interview at 10am at Halfords. I knew they were recruiting but decided to send a spec letter anyway, I hate application forms my CV looks better when I do it.

Sorry man :( I'll make it up to you with a big hug when we meet again. :wink:
  • CarleyB
    Ooo i've been considering doing the Manc/Blackpool run as my first sportive but as I don't know anyone else who rides didn't want to do it on my own..

Blackpool Clarion CC

• Bunneh and everyone else how a bout a nice early 8am sunday morning ride?

I'm itching to see rabbit boy in his lycra :lol:
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I'm itching to see rabbit boy in his lycra :lol:

That's not a good mental image :-P

Andy
  • Lancslad
    i'm trying to figure out how i can justify running club twice a week and cycling as well she's so not going to buy it.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dcab
    sack the running its bad for the knees!
    But then again no one turns up for the rides?
    Am i on my own 2moz?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Lancslad
    dcab wrote:
    Am i on my own 2moz?

That running is bad for the knees is a compete old wives tale its sceintific fact that its good for you.

Dunno if your on your own but I cant come because I have my lads this weekend so i have to content myself with watching the giro and tour of calafornia
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Lancslad wrote:
    dcab wrote:
    Am i on my own 2moz?

That running is bad for the knees is a compete old wives tale its sceintific fact that its good for you.

Dunno if your on your own but I cant come because I have my lads this weekend so i have to content myself with watching the giro and tour of calafornia

The damage that running did to my knees is no wifes tale. But then I was running in army issue boots with 45kilo on my back plus more sometimes.

I tried to do the bupa 10k last year my knee's lasted 4 weeks until I had to give up the training due to it causing me to have a floating knee cap and starting to cause ligament trouble again :roll:
  • rockinrob
    rockinrob Posts: 8
    Hope your ride today is a good one, i'm new to cycling went out yesterday for the 1st time, needless to say i slept well last night. would like to join you on some rides, much better than riding alone. i managed 1 1/2 hours on my ride & found out i dont like hills to much, but at least the weather is good.
  • Bunneh
    Sorry about that Dcab but I must get paid employment. Interview went okay although wearing a suit and tie in this weather is nasty. Keep ya paws crossed. I'll be around this week coming, unless Halfords ring me to give me a job :P Just think staff discounts, prices will almost be sane then...

I can't really do Sunday, not in the morning anyway; I'm off to Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary to have a chat with the manager at 10am. I should be back around lunch though so can problem go out a little later if anyone fancies it.

At this moment in time I'm contemplating heading into Bury then Manchester for poops and giggles.

Running hurts your knees if you're over weight, done it a few times and the pounding isn't fun. Tend to use a tredmill at the gym for any running, much easier on the auld knees.

Rob, you'd be most welcome :) Don't worry too much about the hills, they actually become easier in time and you start thinking you can managed them without an effort. Think positive and say to yourself 'I will make it up this hill' and it's surprising how that works. I open my gob wide and take in huge gulps of air quite rapidly, keep the legs full of oxygen.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Great ride out today.

Had a meet with dcab at Freddricks & then picked up another on route.

Sun was baking so the jackets were soon removed & the only worry was if we had enough liquids.

We headed over to Southport and is was great to ride with others. Really helps keep the pace up & makes the time fly buy.

Had a dodgy mile or was it 2 but dcab & Frankie backed of the gas for a bit to let me hang on a wheel. (Appreciated that!!! :D

Got home and checked out my proper cyclists TAN :shock: Don't you look an idiot with one of them :D

Cheers lads, can't wait to do it again soon.
  • CarleyB
    sounds great, :D

Blackpool Clarion CC

• dcab
    cracking ride 2day!
    P.s. Rumour has it bunneh has a pirate fetish?
    veritas vos liberabit