30+ North West Club

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Grrrr everywhere I went today all I saw was cyclists (where i live is a cycling haven) - I defo have the bug now as I was jealous as hell. Getting up early tomorrow before the heat kicks in and whilst the kids are dozy and staring at SpongeBob et al. My plan is to attempt my nemesis - Parbold Hill.

Sorry I missed today - you guys were probably the ones cycling past my house :(
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Mr Poll,

I'm going out tomorrow morning in a group ride with H.Middleton Cycle Club from Ormskirk. I've never been out with a group before, but I'm going to give it a go. Everyone is welcome and it's not necessary to be a member to join them on their Sunday ride.

They meet at 9 a.m. outside the shop in Ormskirk and split into three groups. I'm going to start off in the third (slowest) group and hope I can keep up.

I've no idea where they'll be going but last week they went from Ormskirk, out through Scarisbrick to Churchtown, through Banks, over the Moss to Tarleton, then Mawdesley and looped back through Lathom into Ormskirk - about 42 miles in total. As that was a flat ride they'll probably do something with a few more hills this weekend. Not too hilly, I hope!

Fancy giving it a go?
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    parbold hill- easy! Your starting at the wrong end?
    You wouldnt have seen us today we were going to fast! Ha ha!
    veritas vos liberabit
  • mr_poll
    Parbold Hill (the hard way) - Conquered - yey what a great way to start a day. Might not be a biggy for some ppl but it has been my nemisis since I restarted cycling in Jan.
    I now know my bike fitness is coming on. (And done with two pieces of jam on toast for breakfast - i laugh at your glucose gels :P )

Lucan sounded good but i have my kids so i can justify a quick 40 mins but not that long. Perhaps another week. In fact on my way back from Parbold to Rufford I saw a load of cyclists - not a formal club cause i shouted Hi and some replied!!! :lol:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Yaaaar Haaaar fiddle di deeee, being a pirate is alright to be...

Glad some of you got out yesterday! Nice one. Kinda overslept this morning and didn't get to Bleakholt so going to pop up tomorrow morning... This warm weather makes me sleepy.

I managed to get out around 4pm yesterday and took in some lovely areas that I hadn't been to for ages. Edgerton way, up around Chapeltown, some lovely areas around there. Didn't rush about, stayed in low gears and just span having an average of around 15mph. Funny how that speed no longer feels fast once you're used to it.

Will probably get out a little later today, not sure where to might point the bike a different direction and see what thar be!
  • dcab
    ive just had the dog out ,as i was walking over eaves lane in chorley a member of a well known road club (in lancashire) came by and passed three cyclist and actually spoke to them? I nearly fell over the dog!
    perhaps its not true and they aint androids?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    dcab wrote:
    ive just had the dog out ,as i was walking over eaves lane in chorley

This sounds worryingly small town. Whereabouts in Chorley are you?
    I am on Froom st.
    Hoping to get out with you guys soon but neither weekend mornings or Weds eves work for me.
  • dcab
    morstar - can u do monday nights? And any one else that wants to, i will be going out 2moz walkdens volvo garage 6 oclock!
    veritas vos liberabit
  • mr_poll
    Any ideas on Wednesday ride yet?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    dcab wrote:
    morstar - can u do monday nights? And any one else that wants to, i will be going out 2moz walkdens volvo garage 6 oclock!

Afraid not. Monday and Wednesday are off limits due to children taxi services. Tues, Thurs and Fri evenings work best for me. Also tend to go out on weekend early evenings if anybody likes that time of day, quiet roads are a great bonus.
  • wasi1984
    wasi1984 Posts: 37
    Seems like a great group ride to be in this.

Any time people are over Rawtenstall. Ramsbottom etc let me know im up for a ride.

:D
  • Bunneh
    I believe Wednesday was similar to last week but Dcab takes the lead this time.

Saturday I was thinking of maybe Alderley Edge or maybe Southport? Opinions?
  • dcab
    are you out tonight?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    Hoping to be out yes, but I do need to head into town at 2.30, do some *yawn* shopping as well as meet my employment advisor (who used to be a really cute and pert lass but is now a rather chunky fella...). I did glance up on the Volvo Garage in Walkden but must admit didn't find it on the map - there a street name? I can Google map it then and plan my route if I can manage to be there (will let you know a couple hours prior).
  • dcab
    bunneh - i will be at bobs smithy pub about 6.45 if thats any use to you?
    p.s. leave yer parrot at home!
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    Sure, that's fine. I shall be there with nobs on. *walks up through Old Links Golf club*
  • mr_poll
    Whoop - we passed 10,000 views - not bad for a few guys who cycle around chorley and push bikes up a hill in Ramsbottom :P
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    As I am in work now (past midnight) it looks like I will be off Tuesday day (same thing Thursday)

Anyone up for a short notice day ride? I might even go inside Fredricks this time for a wee treat :D
  • Bunneh
    Just a bit of information.

Wednesday Wander is meeting at the Crown in Horwich (not sure on time, Dcab will post that), it'll be around 7pm ish I believe.

As for weekday rides, it's something we do need to do now. Dcab's off all next week so he's keen to meet a few more of the lads for some day rides. I've posted information on the Yahoo club page, although it's pretty much the same as I have posted here.

Butchers, depending on how my legs are after Wednesday's abuse (they take me up hills :( ) I should be available Thursday. I would come today but I'm having to force myself to go see my shrink, then head into town to visit the JC for jobs that don't exist *grump*
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    mr_poll wrote:
    Whoop - we passed 10,000 views - not bad for a few guys who cycle around chorley and push bikes up a hill in Ramsbottom :P

I have never been in Rams Bottom - is it as glamourous as it sounds?
  • mr_poll
    Right I can be at the Crown for 7 - I go straight from work and park up at my Dads who lives in Anderton, and pootle on down. Looking at google maps the Crown is down Chorley new road.

Still no bloody word from ribble about my light but nights are getting lighter so should be fine for 2 hours.
  • Bunneh
    The Crown is the huge pub on the odd round-a-bouty thing.

Linky <--- Click me!
  • Bunneh
    I'm not gonna be around, again, tonight. Annoyingly my health problems have kicked off again, as it stands I'm not exactly the best company when I become ill again. Not sure how long this will last, could be a few days, could be a couple weeks - hopefully it'll be the former. Will keep you updated.

:(
  • dcab
    sorry chaps i cant do this evening? and wont be there saturday due to a funeral.
    veritas vos liberabit
  • rockinrob
    rockinrob Posts: 8
    couldn't make tonight due to no one to look after kids? went out at dinner for a short ride minus big hills :lol: bike kept jumping gears but sorted now after a visit to the shop on way home. av a good ride those that are going
  • mr_poll
    Bloody good job I checked the net just before I set off. I was about to make my way over to the Crown - nevermind hopefully we can sort something for a week today - I will be free and available then.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    How's the training going for the Rivington 100 ?

Hope everyone is still up for it :D
  • dcab
    How's the training going for the Rivington 100 ?

Hope everyone is still up for it :D

i aint done nothin since last wednesday? the physio beasted me on thursday and i have had other things on!
    i'm working 2moz but should be free for the rest of the week.
    let me know if your doing owt and i will try and drag the italian stallion along?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Bunneh
    Hiho!

I should, all being well, be available this Saturday. Yeah it's a while off, I'm having 'issues' at the moment and trust me when I'm 'off' I'm no pleasure to be with. I'll do my damnest to play out then; if I'm playing out during the week I'll post here an hour or two beforehand.

I managed 20 miles yesterday in around an hour, just my little Belmont/Chapeltown run. Was nice to be out again although I did have to get back due to paranoia setting in quite quickly... :shock: Ah the joys of mental health! Woooo...

Anyhoo, you guys don't need me to keep prodding you, go play out together!
  • rockinrob
    rockinrob Posts: 8
    just had a very exhausting ride out, 25.6 miles my furthest ride upto now took me 1hr 55min avg 13.3, suppose will get better with time?