Your TT position - pics

Comments

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Matt, it looks very good to me. I'd try it for a few races and see how you get on. Let us know if your times improve.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My daughter in TT mode-

87e55404.jpg
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    NapoleonD wrote:
    My daughter in TT mode-

87e55404.jpg

At least she's stayed on the bike!!! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Funny you should say that! Two minutes later her little sister came off hers and cut her arm and knee heh heh.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Well, I'm sure all the hereditary swearing will have calmed her down. :lol:

Hope she's OK and you're on the mend. I'm sure you'll be back on the road soon, albeit not racing. Took me 2 years after going through a car windscreen, but even I couldn't resist. I couldn't even sit as a passenger in a car for a while w/o being a true nervous wreck.

Good luck anyway, make sure you're back at work before 6 months! :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2011
    Heh heh, she spoke Justin bieber's name in vain!

I'm going to be ok. Op has hopefully sorted shoulder although it freaking wrecks at the moment, consultant said it was a right mess Inside when he opened me up.
    Worried about my back though, and impact on movement/flexibility.

I'm still hoping to be TTing and one day hope to have a photograph of me doing it to post on here!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Me on Monday... Just happened to glance down as the photographer clicked!
    Still adjusting to the Adamo...

5785205459_edce9ce703.jpg
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, she spoke Justin bieber's name in vain!

I'm going to be ok. Op has hopefully sorted shoulder although it freaking wrecks at the moment, constant said it was a right mess Inside when he opened me up.
    Worried about my back though, and impact on movement/flexibility.

I'm still hoping to be TTing and one day hope to have a photograph of me doing it to post on here!

WTF!!!... Have I missed something here, Nap?
    What happened?
  • Anonymous
    Landed on my head/ left shoulder in an unavoidable crash in a race. Went over the handlebars at 28mph.
    Broke collar bone in 3 places plus lots of little chips off. Compression fracture to T11 vertebrae plus lot of muscular damage.
    Brand new Helmet completely did it's job, no head injuries at all.
    Given up racing/fast group rides now.
    Will ride socially and do the local club 10s.
  • Jeff Jones
    hopper1 wrote:
    Me on Monday... Just happened to glance down as the photographer clicked!
    Still adjusting to the Adamo...

5785205459_edce9ce703.jpg
    Still looks pretty good and yes, the Adamo takes ages to get right (but it's worth it).

One thing: you do look to have quite a forward position. How's the comfort on longer rides?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • hopper1
    Not tried a 25 on the Adamo, yet!
    Going to move my elbow cups back a bit, to see if that helps me sit back, as the saddle is now in a good position.
    Will update, later...
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    Dr. Jones,

Could you please examine this photo and tell me where it would be possible to find 4 sec/km?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/75th-t ... tos/178574

Watts/kg is pretty close to this guy, so the difference must be watts/CdA.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/75th-t ... tos/178576

Actually, an eighth of a sec per km would have been okay, too.
  • Jeff Jones
    RChung wrote:
    Dr. Jones,

Could you please examine this photo and tell me where it would be possible to find 4 sec/km?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/75th-t ... tos/178574

Watts/kg is pretty close to this guy, so the difference must be watts/CdA.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/75th-t ... tos/178576

1) Cunego was tired

2) Cunego's head position isn't helping matters

3) Cunego's bottle is standard, not aero

4) Cunego's arms are a little wide for a small guy but he might have tested this. His position looks pretty good otherwise

5) Cunego's gloves aren't aero (?)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    RChung wrote:
    An eighth of a second per km at these speeds would be less than the difference between an aero and standard bottle, or an aero and standard brake, or an aero and standard tire. Usually we talk about body positioning, and rightly so, but this looks like a situation where better choices about passive equipment could very possibly have had large consequences.

If I read the results right, yesterday the gap between 7th, 8th, and 9th places in the Nat 50 was about a twelfth of a second per km.
  • Jeff Jones
    RChung wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    RChung wrote:
    An eighth of a second per km at these speeds would be less than the difference between an aero and standard bottle, or an aero and standard brake, or an aero and standard tire. Usually we talk about body positioning, and rightly so, but this looks like a situation where better choices about passive equipment could very possibly have had large consequences.

If I read the results right, yesterday the gap between 7th, 8th, and 9th places in the Nat 50 was about a twelfth of a second per km.
    I agree - small things make a big difference and given the gap in this case, it looks like Cunego might have thrown it away.

Point taken about the national 50 - it was close and equipment choices could easily have affected placings (ignoring other uncontrollables such as traffic, wind, temperature, traffic at roundabouts - most of which were related to start time). I made a small one (rode a 404 instead of an 808) that in hindsight probably wasn't necessary, and might have cost me a watt or two and maybe a place. But that's part of the race.

The gap between 1st and 2nd was a mere 1/5 sec/km. That could have just been down to pacing.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Ok.

So I'm tinkering with the position, and I've got some sort of TT position, but trying to make it better.

Here is a series of pics, not the best, most of em my front end is a little high, so the last 2 pics I've just put the front end on the bricks.

th_DSC00202-1.jpg
    th_DSC00203-3.jpg
    th_DSC00204-2.jpg
    th_DSC00205-2.jpg
    th_DSC00206-2.jpg
    th_DSC00207-2.jpg
    th_DSC00208-2.jpg

Now If needed I can lower the stem down by 15mm as I've got a large spacer under there.

Does the saddle need to be a little higher? It's already a cm higher than I have it for normal road riding as well as the seat is all the way forward, for normal road riding it's an extra inch back, but with it forward I can actually get on the TT bars, I could not do this with my 56cm frame as the frame was too big.

**note** My knees ain't hitting my elbows.

Any advice would be great thanks.
  • Jeff Jones
    Looks good to me Will. I wouldn't put the saddle up any more (my TT bike saddle is actually a bit lower than my road saddle)

I'd ride it like that for a few weeks then experiemnt with dropping the front end by a cm.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    First photo in the wild of me in the TT position. I know it's not great as they've chopped my feet off but any obvious issues given that this is my road bike as well as my TT machine?

P1000917.jpg

265028_10150306954705831_530815830_9666093_5920442_n.jpg
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    I bought a TT bike, read this thread, set my bike up accordingly, and raced a couple of TTs! Here's a snap from Sunday, not the greatest photo for this purpose but all feedback welcomed! Thanks, Alan.

d3s9843.jpg
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Just copy this, sorted!

tumblr_li5lmwpxga1qbxnpgo1_500.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Jeff Jones
    amck111 wrote:
    I bought a TT bike, read this thread, set my bike up accordingly, and raced a couple of TTs! Here's a snap from Sunday, not the greatest photo for this purpose but all feedback welcomed! Thanks, Alan.

d3s9843.jpg
    Narrow your elbows
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    Thanks Jeff, I shall!
  • Surfr
    Bah. 3 weeks since posting my photos and nobody comments, and now others get responses in hours! I'm not hurt, honest *sniff*
  • Jeff Jones
    Surfr wrote:
    Bah. 3 weeks since posting my photos and nobody comments, and now others get responses in hours! I'm not hurt, honest *sniff*
    Lol :) Your head/body should be as close to one shape as possible, not two. You look a wee bit high and stretched but that's probably because you're on a road bike.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Surfr
    Right. not sure I understand the 'one shape' idea. Here's a couple more photos from the Welsh 100 this weekend and a club 22 last week.

Old saddle and position
    283091_10150329474485831_530815830_9914868_2153554_n.jpg

New (improved?) Adamo and inline post position
    254692_10150260496393423_548033422_7775157_3395663_n.jpg

228971_10150260514118423_548033422_7775528_2073746_n.jpg

And finally a propper side on shot from the 100
    WCA100-0079.jpg
    Any better?
  • freehub
    Not a pic but I've done a video or two.

Mute the sound.

Position 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUfqkl2 ... re=related

Position after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8bEfBAnA3g
  • Jeff Jones
    Surfr wrote:
    Right. not sure I understand the 'one shape' idea. Here's a couple more photos from the Welsh 100 this weekend and a club 22 last week.

Any better?
    A bit - you still look too high to me

Head and body one shape: look at Tony Martin at the top of this page or Wouter Sybrandy on P1 of this thread. They have a far smoother line between helmet and back. You don't want to make the air work any harder than it has to.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    freehub wrote:
    Pretty good, maybe a touch low at the front but only a cm in it. Leave it until you get used to it.

You're rocking when you put the power down - this is not ideal as you're disrupting the air flow more than you would if your upper body was still. Not sure if this is because your saddle is a bit high or if you're just going flat out. Something to work on over time.

Look at how smooth Matt Bottrill is in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... iHZhek_THY
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • freehub
    The rocking/bouncing is due to the cadence, when the cadence gets high I struggle to stay still, also take into account the whole rig is rocking due to the patch.

I'm surprised it's abit low, I've lowered it by 1.5cm today, but over at TT forum they reckon I could get much lower.

I actually tried it lower the other day, same as it is now, but saddle was abit lower, and I was struggling to get power, infact, when I raised it back up 1.5cm I was going as fast into a headwind as I was going with a tailwind and the bars lowered.

Or are my hips actually rocking?
  • Jeff Jones
    freehub wrote:
    The rocking/bouncing is due to the cadence, when the cadence gets high I struggle to stay still, also take into account the whole rig is rocking due to the patch.

I'm surprised it's abit low, I've lowered it by 1.5cm today, but over at TT forum they reckon I could get much lower.

I actually tried it lower the other day, same as it is now, but saddle was abit lower, and I was struggling to get power, infact, when I raised it back up 1.5cm I was going as fast into a headwind as I was going with a tailwind and the bars lowered.

Or are my hips actually rocking?
    Don't ride at too high a cadence then (you probably don't in a TT anyway).

To me in that vid your torso looks flat, maybe even pointing down a bit, so I wouldn't go lower. Just my opinion of course, you don't have to take it on board.

Power is key but you have to give yourself a couple of weeks to adapt to any new position so changing things every day will not give you a definitive answer.

Overall it looks ok to me. Do a few races on it and see how you get on.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports