Your TT position - pics

Comments

• gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Stuntman wrote:
    I seem to have an issue between my TT and road bike. I can get a higher heartrate on my road bike and the TT is about 6 beats lower under full steam. Any reason?? I'll try and find a picture of my current position as that'd probably help.
    I had that problem. I brought my elbows out a little and it went away - I think it was stopping my rib cage from fully expanding.
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    gandhi wrote:
    Stuntman wrote:
    I seem to have an issue between my TT and road bike. I can get a higher heartrate on my road bike and the TT is about 6 beats lower under full steam. Any reason?? I'll try and find a picture of my current position as that'd probably help.
    I had that problem. I brought my elbows out a little and it went away - I think it was stopping my rib cage from fully expanding.

Cheers Gahdhi

I'll give that a try and see what the craic is
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Stuntman wrote:
    gandhi wrote:
    Stuntman wrote:

Cheers Gahdhi

I'll give that a try and see what the craic is

Do you mean make the aero bars slightly further apart?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    birdy247 wrote:
    Do you mean make the aero bars slightly further apart?

Yes, that's what he means...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sub55 wrote:
    psiturbo wrote:
    I find it kind of interesting how everybody compares each others TT when there are so many variables. Such things as headwind, slight variations on the course, is it straight, turns, how many hills, etc.

It would be great if maybe a map is included with elevation. For example, mapmyride offers such information that can be easily copy pasted to the thread so one has an idea. It would not hur to add temperature, wind conditions, as well...

sorry, i may be abit thick but i really cant see where your coming from.
    optimum tt position is in its self a personal thing ,so it is difficult to tell a rider exactly where they are wrong and then you expect alittle trial and error to achieve a happy compromise between aerodynamics /power transfer/comfort. but i really cant see how knowing that elevation /wind direction or temperature can make any difference.

i think he meant comparing each other pb's for tts not position
  • sub55 wrote:
    psiturbo wrote:
    I find it kind of interesting how everybody compares each others TT when there are so many variables. Such things as headwind, slight variations on the course, is it straight, turns, how many hills, etc.

It would be great if maybe a map is included with elevation. For example, mapmyride offers such information that can be easily copy pasted to the thread so one has an idea. It would not hur to add temperature, wind conditions, as well...

sorry, i may be abit thick but i really cant see where your coming from.
    optimum tt position is in its self a personal thing ,so it is difficult to tell a rider exactly where they are wrong and then you expect alittle trial and error to achieve a happy compromise between aerodynamics /power transfer/comfort. but i really cant see how knowing that elevation /wind direction or temperature can make any difference.

i think he meant comparing each other pb's for tts not position

Indeed, but in Pauls defence the thread is about position, not results.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I'm about to work on my position (not supposed to bike outside for 7-9 weeks due to some work on my wrist come friday) and would appriciate any input

My sadle is a little low due to the seat pin length being to short, thankfully I managed to get another seat pin with a longer length resonably cheaply :S

Click the thumbnails for larger images

Any way side on: Note: My bars were loose and had dropped slightly in the pic!

70161937x5crop.th.jpg

Almost front on:

70179567x5crop2.th.jpg

I have lost 15lbs since those photos and loosing a smidge more

Any input on position greatfully recieved!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    May as well put some tape over that valve hole in your disk.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i do have valve covers now :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    34dsc_0077.jpg
    Does this look OK for an old man. Ignore the helmet. I had it on wrong that day. I have also now fitted a horizontal stem so lowered the front about 10mm.
  • willbevan wrote:
    i do have valve covers now :)

Will I think you are waaaaay to low! You need to raise your front end up by at least 6 inches!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    John.T wrote:
    34dsc_0077.jpg
    Does this look OK for an old man. Ignore the helmet. I had it on wrong that day. I have also now fitted a horizontal stem so lowered the front about 10mm.
    Yes, it looks good. Just work on your head and shoulder position to get everything a bit more compact, shrug your shoulders etc.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Thanks Jeff. It looks like training is the only answer then.
  • Jeff Jones
    Yes sorry about that John.

Getting your head and shoulders right can be worth 10-20W if you can hold it. Or up to a couple of minutes in a 25, depending on how fast you ride.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Just wondering if any of you change your saddle height between road/TT bikes - if so then perhaps best to comment on this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12749473 as I don't want to clog things here.
  • Any advice/help/critique??? Just got new bars so need all help I can get. Bear in mind my right shoulder has had a stabilisation operation so 'turns' in slightly more than my left and I also have Femoro-acetabular impingement on my left hip and some disc degeneration so my back/hip isn't in great shape.

http://s472.photobucket.com/albums/rr83 ... 0Position/
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • hopper1
    Photos are proofs, and not perfect, but might give enough info for some comments...
    5500790742_3266850258_z.jpg
    5500195859_fce139c5b8_b.jpg

Brand new build on first outing, so a few tweaks to be made. All measurements are based on previous bike/Retul fit.
    I know my helmet tail should be lower, but had to adjust so the visor gave more protection to stop my eyes running!
    Not too happy with upper/lower arm position... had some forearm pain.
    Seat slipped a little, so should be higher.
    Losing gut slowly!
    Any positive critique welcome... :wink:
  • Jeff Jones
    You do look to be too low at the back, as you said, and too high at the front. And your number isn't pinned on right.

Other than that your bike is definitely not costing you any time. That's a very fast setup you've got.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • hopper1
    Cheers Jeff.
    I have 20mm of spacers under the stem.
    Bloody annoying, that you get a skinsuit with number tabs on it, to prevent perforating the suit, and the tabs are not spaced properly :evil:
  • Jeff Jones
    hopper1 wrote:
    Cheers Jeff.
    Bloody annoying, that you get a skinsuit with number tabs on it, to prevent perforating the suit, and the tabs are not spaced properly :evil:
    I've found similar with skinsuit tabs - they're typically useless. Which is annoying given that most back numbers are of similar size.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • hopper1
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Cheers Jeff.
    I've found similar with skinsuit tabs - they're typically useless. Which is annoying given that most back numbers are of similar size.

Just means having to put the pins through the numbers material, instead of the holes... :roll:

EDIT: I did read somewhere of someone suggesting the use of a fish net material, stitched on three sides to make a see through pocket for the number.
    Sounded like a very good idea to me... Looking into it...
  • freodunk
    freodunk Posts: 2
    Hi Jeff,

Help an old Fortian out and give me your opinion on my position.

Given that if I lower my armrests by 10-20mm my head starts to stick up above my shoulders and I can put out roughly 10% more power at FT in this position. Tried it in a 40k on the weekend and took 3:18 off my previous PB on the course in much harder conditions.

Cheers
    Duncan

dsc04686mz.jpg
  • Jeff Jones
    freodunk wrote:
    Hi Jeff,

Help an old Fortian out and give me your opinion on my position.

Given that if I lower my armrests by 10-20mm my head starts to stick up above my shoulders and I can put out roughly 10% more power at FT in this position. Tried it in a 40k on the weekend and took 3:18 off my previous PB on the course in much harder conditions.

Cheers
    Duncan

dsc04686mz.jpg
    Duncan,

What can I say? 3'18 off your PB is more than just a power improvement so you're obviously doing something right.

From side on, your position looks very sorted. Your head's out of the way but you can still see, your torso's flat, you don't look uncomfortable - I can tell you've been riding a bike longer than I have ;)

I guess the only thing I'd do is experiment with small changes in arm angle, but only if you can measure it with some good field testing or wind tunnel testing otherwise you're flying blind. I had an interesting conversation with an extremely slippery tester about this last night, but that's another story...
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • freodunk
    freodunk Posts: 2
    Thanks Jeff,

I've been thinking of trying a bit of a Landis/Leipheimer style arm angle. Luckily the TT's here aren't run to the UCI regs :D

I may have been riding longer but you're definitely riding TT's faster than I ever will....
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Cheers Jeff.

I found using and adjustable stem did the trick - you can set your front end so much lower which makes a huge difference.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 wrote:
    Cheers Jeff.

I found using and adjustable stem did the trick - you can set your front end so much lower which makes a huge difference.

I have an adjustable stem, used it on my last bike, which is how I came to get this stack height.
    I think dropping 20mm will sort it, without compromising power...
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60875428@N ... otostream/

Here is a photo of my on my TT bike with aero helmet on (there are a few more either side).

I would appreciate any comments/how you think it is. It seems to me my back is far flatter than a lot positions I have seen, rather than the slight curve, is this a problem?

My thoughts are:

perhaps a slightly shorter and lower stem

perhaps move the saddle back slightly
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    What do you guys think of this position (same pic as my avatar). I felt like I was a little too low at the front so have since raised the bars by 20mm and the saddle by 5mm. Have yet to test the new position in anger but was posting 10 times around 23 mins on flatish courses last year, hoping to get into the 22s more regularly this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49500403@N02/4620086102/in/contacts/