Your TT position - pics

Comments

• Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Cheers Jeff. I think I'll struggle to get much lower with this setup. 2mm of spacers in the stack and maybe a slightly more agressive stem angle and new TT bars would do it but I think I'll wait and get a proper TT bike for next season.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    There's only so much you can do with your normal road bike without making it unrideable as a road bike. Will has done it with his bike but I think you're going to struggle on yours.

As a general rule, you will ride a TT frame that's 2cm smaller than your road frame. This helps you get lower in front and keeps the bar extensions at a sensible length. I ride a 57-58cm road bike but a 55-56cm TT bike.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'll keep at it and see how it goes.

I did another video with a makeshift tripod so it's still, click 480p as it's too bury on default, hopefully that gives an even better idea as can see the bike setup before I get on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKbq-shSbM
  • Jeff Jones
    Good! Over time, you'll get smooth
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Any advice on my position? some pics from 25/3l from sunday

http://www.sisportsimages.co.uk/Galleri ... 20Overflow)14thAug2011/slides/Merthyr25mlTT-140811-0273.html

http://www.sisportsimages.co.uk/Galleri ... 20Overflow)14thAug2011/slides/Merthyr25mlTT-140811-0275.html

pictures of pain :P
    sorry about the link, cant work out how to link it to the site have to copy and paste it :oops:
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Any Advice on this position gratefully received.
    Taken from my first TT last weekend
    I know that my head is much higher than it should be (need to practise sticking it out lower and shrugging my shoulders)
    Also that I should have secured my number down properly.

Hopefully both will be sorted by next weekend :oops:
    Oh I've also got a skinsuit on order.

jp_r10_17_13_08_3.jpg
  • Thoughts?

Can't be too aggressive as I also race triathlons and duathlons so have to be able to run off it.

TTposition.jpg
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/64832641@N04/6110381766/

What changes do I need to work on this winter. Any thoughts welcome.
    Thanks,
    David
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Thoughts?

Can't be too aggressive as I also race triathlons and duathlons so have to be able to run off it.

TTposition.jpg

You seem to 'crunched'!... Elbows must be too far apart, if you can get you knees in the gap!
    You're too far forward. Seat is all the way forward on the rails...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Jeff Jones
    dnrdnr wrote:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/64832641@N04/6110381766/

What changes do I need to work on this winter. Any thoughts welcome.
    Thanks,
    David
    Pin your number on better!

Other than that it looks fine to me. Maybe duck your head slightly.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff,
    Thanks - I did try double sided tape for my number once - sadly it bonded totally to the number and I earned very dirty looks when returning it.

Also, congratulations on your new record - what an awesome ride.
  • Hi

Raced all season tweeking it slightly after each event. End of the season with 1.04.21 for 25miles (which is a pb). Any thoughts? ive still got plenty of room for adjustment at the front was thinking slightly lower still, not sure about the compromise in power output.

any suggestions?

Cheers

DSC_0560.jpg[/img]
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Looking for some advice on my TT setup.

These are pictures from my last two timetrial events of the season.

DSC_0082a.jpg
    R10_17 with a new pb of 24.48

311110917a.jpg
    R10_17 (in the wet) 25.10

In the second picture (wet) the saddle is about 1cm lower, not sure of the new position yet, am I heading in the right direction or am I getting further away from it?

Also really want to concentrate on the front end, are my arms in the right position compared to the pads?

I'm considering making the switch to ski bend extensions and the shallow S bends are cuasing me a bit of grief on my wrists.

Any Advice gladly accepted

Cheers,

Dru.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    can you offer any words of wisdom on my better halfs position ? she's had the bike about 6 months now and we've made a few small changes to the aero bar length and height, we got a second seat post with the bike that has a steeper angle that we want to try. i'm also trying to get her into an aero helmet but she thinks they just look daft and is a bit self conscious, she does'nt think it'll make any gains.

P9256792.jpg

P9256791.jpg

P9256786.jpg

P9256755.jpg
  • Jeff Jones
    Dru wrote:
    Looking for some advice on my TT setup.

In the second picture (wet) the saddle is about 1cm lower, not sure of the new position yet, am I heading in the right direction or am I getting further away from it?
    I'd keep the saddle height as it was in the first pic.
    Also really want to concentrate on the front end, are my arms in the right position compared to the pads?
    Yes, although you may want to drop the stem a bit.
    I'm considering making the switch to ski bend extensions and the shallow S bends are cuasing me a bit of grief on my wrists.
    Whatever's comfy!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    big p wrote:
    can you offer any words of wisdom on my better halfs position ? she's had the bike about 6 months now and we've made a few small changes to the aero bar length and height, we got a second seat post with the bike that has a steeper angle that we want to try. i'm also trying to get her into an aero helmet but she thinks they just look daft and is a bit self conscious, she does'nt think it'll make any gains.
    1) Tell her to keep her head up!!

2) An aero helmet will be better than a road lid if fitted correctly

3) Can you narrow her elbow pads a bit?

4) Saddle is possibly too low but it's always hard to tell this from a static shot

Other than that it looks good, including the fore/aft position. That's speaking as a time triallist - I know triathletes tend to go for more of a forward saddle position to help with the run.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    cheers jeff, we'll have a look at the pads.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    the only pic i have at the moment, i have only ridden the bike twice at bala triathlon and the sandman triathlon, it felt ok but i did suffer with sore nut sack after! any advice much appreciated!
    sandmanbike.jpg
    i need more bikes
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    thanks for the help ive taken some side on pics and a video
    thanks in advance for any feedback

th_M4H02006.jpg
    DSC02003.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    i need more bikes
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    You know you're a cyclist when you look at the picture on the front page of BBC News and think, "That's not a bad TT position".
  • fantastic position! :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • A couple of different ones but what do people think of this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60875428@N ... otostream/
  • 020.jpg

whats people thought on mine? do i look like i have the right distance seat-bars? bars low enough?
  • how do you feel when riding in that position? can't really fault you looking at that position
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • 6596696309_50e80debe2.jpg

This is a fitting on a cycleops machine I had done by a local coach. My back isn't QUITE that Quasimodo-like, some of the reflection of my shirt in the mirror looks like it's actually part of my shirt. The only thing with this jig is that it's set up with a road-bike seat tube angle (72 degrees I think) - what sort of difference would the steeper angle of a TT/triathlon bike make? There's a 6.5inch (165mm) drop saddle-bars, but I still seem relatively upright - would the seatpost angle help with this? For example, during my browsing I came across Cancellara's bike measurements - he has a saddle to bars drop of 168mm yet in this pic - http://www.bicycle.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cancellara_tdf_stage20_2011.jpg he's clearly got a far more aggressive position than I have. Will the change in seat tube angle help get me closer to a position like Cancellara's?

Any thoughts?
  • torms
    torms Posts: 7
    why would you want to replicate cancellara ? you are you and your position is specific to you and no one else
  • torms wrote:
    why would you want to replicate cancellara ? you are you and your position is specific to you and no one else

Ah, I don't! I don't really care, it was just a way of putting a picture to the numbers. Could just as easily have been Joe Bloggs from Bognor Regis - I just wanted a pic of someone with the same saddle-bars drop.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The seat angle is not really relevant as long as you can achieve the preferred saddle position. It has more affect on the handling of the bike as pushing the saddle forward on a bike not designed for this will put more weight on the front wheel.
    Saddle to bars drop measurements can be deceiving as it is saddle to pad drop that matters and this is also affected by the forearm angle. A rising forearm lowers the elbow and the effective pad height.
    You will get a better position by shrugging your shoulders to lower the neck and pushing your chin forward. This will lower your head profile.
    Ideally you should get as low as you can without loosing power. You also need to be comfortable enough to hold the position for the full event.
    I got my base TT position by using the hip angle that I could hold while on the drops on my road bike then rotating my body round the BB, bringing the saddle forward and the bars down while maintaining hip angle. This produced this. Now further refined with a proper TT bike.
    dsc_0077.jpg
    The main difference between your position and mine here is my head is lower and tucked down more. I now ride lower a little at the front. (and with my hat on right)
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    Tri-ing wrote:
    6596696309_50e80debe2.jpg

This is a fitting on a cycleops machine I had done by a local coach.
    Was this the "before" or "after" picture?