Your TT position - pics

Comments

• karnali
    karnali Posts: 703
    may i ask out of interest how tall are you and what size ribble frame did you go for? how do you find it
  • Im 5ft 7. Its a size M which is 53cm top tube. However in hindsight i should have got a S which is a 51cm because this is a little to big.

THe link to the frame is: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAT600

the link to the site is: www.ribblebikes.co.uk

Any other questions just ask :D
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Looks like a good position, as for aeroness I would say definitely either a skinsuit or at least a tighter top!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Rory

Can you tilt the aero bars up at all, as your hands seem to be pointing down. That should give you a smaller frontal area, and will not impact on the power you can produce whilst in a tuck position. Have a look at my picture a few pages back, and look where my hands are. The position looks pretty good though.

Don't forget you need a compromise, as you need to be able to run afterwards, so what might be good for a pure TT rider, might not be so good for a triathlete.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Hi

This is the first season of using a TT bike. It isnt anything fancy but its knocked a hell of a chunk of my PB as you see it now.

This pic was taken on the 1st May KCA 10. Just wondering if theres anything i can do to improve the position.

I was thinking of getting an adjustable stem to get the front end even lower. I also think the bars are to wide apart from the front, unfortunatly you cant see that.

THanks

Rory

DSC_1291.jpg[/img]
    I'm thinking maybe your saddle is a tad too high? Your foot isn't at the bottom of the pedal stroke, your toe is pointing downwards and you're right forward on the saddle, and yet your leg is almost fully extended. It doesn't look to me as though you could reach to the bottom of the pedal stroke if you were sitting back on the saddle - unless you fully straighten your leg and point your toe right down. How have you arrived at your saddle height?

Ruth
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    Still fairly new to this, but ready for advice.

TimeTrial2.jpg
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited May 2011
    Dave-M wrote:
    Still fairly new to this, but ready for advice.

TimeTrial2.jpg

Check the right forum. :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • joeyhalloran
    Dave M:

is it possible to get your helmet to fit flush with your back? Kind of stick you chin out perhaps. This will prob be uncomfortable but I think it might help.

Perhaps bring your arms very slightly back and/or angle them very slightly up if this is more comfortable.

On the whole it looks pretty good to me.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    +1 to what Joey said. Try adjusting the tilt upwards a bit and get your head a little bit lower. Perfecting the 'look ahead through the tops of your eyes' is valuable.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    John.T wrote:
    That is not too bad. I have seen a lot worse on TT bikes. I would go with that for the first one and see how comfortable you feel. You can always try to get lower later if you feel you can. Remember that getting lower would also mean bringing the saddle forward or you will get a too acute hip angle. This can give handling problems on a road frame.
    +1 to that. Leave the saddle fore/aft alone, but experiment with lowering your saddle a bit. It looks a little too high from the second pic
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    edited May 2011
    karnali wrote:
    could the wisdom of the forum (Jeff) cast an eye over my position, i can't quite decide whher to go for a shorter stem or to go for a smaller frame.

5665479395_cc0ecc29b1_m.jpg

cheers
    You look too stretched and a bit too low up front there.

As Joey said, bring your saddle forward (and your bar height up).
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    Dave M:

is it possible to get your helmet to fit flush with your back? Kind of stick you chin out perhaps. This will prob be uncomfortable but I think it might help.

Perhaps bring your arms very slightly back and/or angle them very slightly up if this is more comfortable.

On the whole it looks pretty good to me.
    Another +1. The helmet needs sorting and you could go a smidgin higher in front
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Neil Buckley
    Neil Buckley Posts: 334
    11.jpg

Well heres my position for you delectation and advice, my thoughts are my arms are possibly a touch low, ive raised my bars about a mil or 2 already after looking at the picture, little unsure on saddle position, only done two rides on the Adamo, unfortunally I dont have an SRM or powertap, thinking of renting one to see were I am, but the floor is open for any constructive comments! I got back from Afghanistan recently and im working on flexibility and power, done a 1.01 at D25/8E Whitchurch 25 and a 23.38 at Pulford which im expecting to lower it on Sunday.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Jeff Jones
    Neil, it looks pretty good to me. Only thing I'd change is your arm angle (tilt slightly up). ie keep body/head position as it is.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Neil Buckley
    lol happy with that then, thanks jeff!
  • MatthewBulmer
    MatthewBulmer Posts: 217
    5712052327_8b30e83513.jpg

First time I've seen a photo of myself on the race bike. Not pretty viewing! Any suggestions very welcome.

Cheers,

Matt
  • karnali
    karnali Posts: 703
    cheers jeff

am trying a shorter stem a bit higher and have moved seat forward feels mre powerful willg et some niew pics taken to see how it looks

ta
  • joeyhalloran
    Hey Matthew, hard to tell from that shot but it looks as if your saddle might be a little low, also lift the front of yours bars so the hands at horizontal. (might also consider moving the saddle back a wee bit but again hard to say from this angle and I would start with the other two suggestions and see how it feels).
  • MatthewBulmer
    Hey Matthew, hard to tell from that shot but it looks as if your saddle might be a little low, also lift the front of yours bars so the hands at horizontal. (might also consider moving the saddle back a wee bit but again hard to say from this angle and I would start with the other two suggestions and see how it feels).

5713734500_6a3343971c.jpg
    5713172623_f0f9e1a578.jpg

5713734136_7c4ffb9a7e.jpg

Thanks Joey, uploaded a few more. I'll try your suggestions at next week's club 10.
  • joeyhalloran
    from the front I would add (if you can) tuck you head into your shoulders/down a bit more, it is hard to maintain but if you look at the top guys/wind tunnel dwellers they seem to have this in common.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The more I look at these pictures and compare it to my, frankly, pitiful power output, I must be really aero! :shock:

Shame there's no one about to take a pic to see if I can improve further :(
  • Neil Buckley
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The more I look at these pictures and compare it to my, frankly, pitiful power output, I must be really aero! :shock:

Shame there's no one about to take a pic to see if I can improve further :(

Get on your turbo and get someone to take a pic of you...
  • Jeff Jones
    Your saddle does look a bit low. Raising it should flatten out your torso a bit, which should help as well.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • MatthewBulmer
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Your saddle does look a bit low. Raising it should flatten out your torso a bit, which should help as well.

Thanks Jeff, I'll give it a go this weekend.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Can anyone tell me what the optimum width between aero-bars is? Narrower the better?
  • joeyhalloran
    I don't think anyone can answer that without paying for you to go to a wind tunnel, I have heard reports that for some large guys (and girls) wider is actually better as it allows more flow between the arms. However I think the general rule of thumb is narrow is better.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I was running 100mm C-C but now my new bars have fully over-sized tops I've tried to open them out a bit to 140mm C-C, feel more comfortable and can get head lower with this.

I assume, so long as you're not wider than your body, that your frontal area does not increase with wider bars, just airflow is more compromised? Not that its really clean airflow as it is!
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    66610841.jpg

Not the best pic I'm afraid.

I'm struggling with position, finding it hard to get comfortable. I can hold it for a 10, just, but the event above was a 36 mile hilly route and I was begging for the climbs so I could get up and out of the tuck. Not sure if it's position that's my problem or a lack of flexibility or even training in that position?

It's a road frame, with TT bars and I've fitted a forward angled seatpost to bring the position forward..

Any feedback would be welcome![/img]
  • Jeff Jones
    That looks like a pretty sorted position actually. You don't look that low but if you've got flexibility issues then just try coming up at the front. Or just train in it and do plenty of stretching!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • MatthewBulmer
    Jeff Jones wrote:

Made the changes and did first race with new position last night. First photo is of my old position. Second photo is of my new position. Seems a bit better and still feels comfortable. Is it worth going a bit lower at the front?

5761360491_36aa268296.jpg

5761893398_f35a1e5f07.jpg