Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128

Disagree.

Boonen was not on the form he's had in other years.

Boonen started the Classics season with his best ever performance in Milan San Remo
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    phil s wrote:

Disagree.

Boonen started the Classics season with his best ever performance in Milan San Remo

Sure.

I was talking about his form today.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Oh... God.

After managing to avoid it over the last three weeks, I just saw the Pozzato advert for the first time.

My eyes. My beautiful eyes :(
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    FC/Saxo bank teams tactic not a little insulting in the last 20 kms??...to take out 3 mins 15 in 25km and then just soft pedal...AFX was right saying he reckoned 2 1/2 mins gap...but FC was at 2 1/2 minutes within 5 miles of AFX's prediction.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Pippo is really annoying...I think I am going to have to remove him from my signature.
    What a disaster for you. :roll:

A disaster for FF? Wait til you see how gutted Pippo is when he finds out!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    Hammond beats Boonan. :oops:

Boonen rode himself out of it by his constant attacks which opened the race up for Cancellara despite isolating cancellara from the rest of his team mates...

Boonen didn't really ride that smart today
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thor getting 2nd after sucking wheels like most sprinters. Not impressive. Well done Flecha for the attacking mentality.

Absolutely supreme from Fabian Cancellara. There is a real Champion. One attack from 50km out then hold the pace all the way with intense effort and great position on the bike. Others should take note.

Would have been interesting to see what would have occured had Boonen been on his wheel from the start.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • had canc in the ptp and flecha each ways so wins all round, whoo!!
    fabian is human motorbike though, unreal.
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • mididoctors
    Boonen knackered himself with attacks, the others couldn't be arsed chasing. The whole peloton know that you're just not going to beat the world time trial champion over a flat 40k if he's feeling good and hasn't done a scrap of work all day. Chapeau Cancellara, it was one hell of a performance.

Disagree.

Last year he rode with similar agression and was the strongest on the day.

I think Boonen was the 2nd strongest guy still... rode himself into the ground with his work rate is my take
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:
    FC/Saxo bank teams tactic not a little insulting in the last 20 kms??...to take out 3 mins 15 in 25km and then just soft pedal...AFX was right saying he reckoned 2 1/2 mins gap...but FC was at 2 1/2 minutes within 5 miles of AFX's prediction.

Why is that insulting? Going 100% a bloc even when you know you've won is a bit silly. It increases the chance of a crash for a start. It's not a stage race... the winning gap is irrelevant.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dave_1 wrote:

ah..it's not Armstrong so you'' believe it? :roll:

Nowt to do with the aged Texan. I think that its a bit hasty to jump to conclusions. Was Pip juiced in the Het Volk in 08?

Some things don't ring true in this game: The Mekon's time trial skillz, Ricco's wings, but I think this is within the realms. A stellar performance, but within the realms.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    Thor getting 2nd after sucking wheels like most sprinters. Not impressive. Well done Flecha for the attacking mentality.

Absolutely supreme from Fabian Cancellara. There is a real Champion. One attack from 50km out then hold the pace all the way with intense effort and great position on the bike. Others should take note.

Would have been interesting to see what would have occured had Boonen been on his wheel from the start.

the time gaps would have been huge as FC wouldn't have had to slow down the way he just did...but Flanders repeat for sure

is genetic doping around yet?
  • frenchfighter
    Dave_1 wrote:

I guess you provide some discussion points, but frankly you sound like a sour old man. Just enjoy what will be one of the best peformances of this year in the best sport in the world.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • luckao

Did wonder if Flecha's applauding was sarcastic...
  • dave_1
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

ah..it's not Armstrong so you'' believe it? :roll:

Nowt to do with the aged Texan. I think that its a bit hasty to jump to conclusions. Was Pip juiced in the Het Volk in 08?

Some things don't ring true in this game: The Mekon's time trial skillz, Ricco's wings, but I think this is within the realms. A stellar performance, but within the realms.

you and a few others are not slow at the anti-Armstrong tirades so the Cancellera fanboy postings are worth pulling you up for.
  • frenchfighter
    Luckao wrote:

That was my thought. Maybe Flecha will say something after although he isn't the outspoken type.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Good ride by Hammond.
  • Hammond beats Boonan. :oops:

Boonen rode himself out of it by his constant attacks which opened the race up for Cancellara despite isolating cancellara from the rest of his team mates...

In retrospect, I reckon that Tom panicked after being left isolated so early. That nobody else was willing to take it up against Cancellara is a poor show.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

I guess you provide some discussion points, but frankly you sound like a sour old man. Just enjoy what will be one of the best peformances of this year in the best sport in the world.

well..cut others some slack and I will too.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Fanboy? Not sure where you get the impression that I'm a fanboy. I'm just putting across my point of view of the race.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    Guy Dedieu
    Cancellara.JPG
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone know who won the U23 race?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

The Belgian world champ, whoever he is.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Luckao wrote:

That was my thought. Maybe Flecha will say something after although he isn't the outspoken type.

That would be the Flecha who sat on a did squat for 40kms, effectively killing any chase, then attacked the group?
    He got what he deserved.....3rd.

Anyhow, a huge performance by Cancellara, today .......and he's not even 38, yet. Just think how good his form will be then! :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • luckao
    Luckao wrote:

That would be the Flecha who sat on a did squat for 40kms, effectively killing any chase, then attacked the group?

Still, a greater effort than attacking on the last corner.
  • mididoctors
    Hammond beats Boonan. :oops:

In retrospect, I reckon that Tom panicked after being left isolated so early. That nobody else was willing to take it up against Cancellara is a poor show.

yeah i would go with something like that... ditching Breschel was important

cancellara just smashed all their heads in when he went... 50Km!... I think they thought he wouldn't go unless he thought he could do it.. ie hold the pace for 50km

which he could!... tom was already in the gutter by this time riding in the red for most of the way to the velodrome..
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    For all that Cancellara is great physically, and knowing the brilliance of his form for the last two weeks, a lot of the "astonishing" 3.5 minutes gap he made today was achieved mentally.

Once he gapped the rest of the group no-one thought they had the energy to chase him as a solo rider so the gap grew and grew and grew. There was never a cooperative balls out chase to try and bring him back so not sure what a lot of the blathering in this thread is about. It was a "gentle" ride through for most of those seven riders as Cancellara pulled away.

As soon as a concerted effort was made behind the gap closed e.g. Flecha's solo attack and then later on Flecha and Hushovd's efforts to distance Boonen, Hammond et al to guarantee the last two podium spots.

To me Cancellara looked tired in the last 10km, probably exemplified by his failure to take the corner properly near the end forcing him to bunny hop over the traffic island.
  • I'll stand by everything I posted above, I don't believe that ride at all. However, i'm not going to argue everyone else in the running at 45km to go is beyod doubt as pure as the driven snow.

It's a shame that nobody was willing to fight to bring him back (Boonen aside) before it was too late. Flecha especially, given the energy he found in the last 15!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593

1 Jasper Stuyven (Bel)
    2 Daniel McLay (GB)
    3 Lawson Craddock (USA)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    'king hell. Armstrong's only link to this race was the fact that his program came on Eurosport afterwards. Why is it that people can't applaud performances by riders without suddenly attacking or being attacked for their stance on other riders? This isn't football.

Fab - well done, amazing performance. Don't think that it was as "incredible" and "suspicious" as all of that - he is reigning World TT Champ and "the best cyclist of his generation" (according to Sean). Saxobank worked hard hard hard for him until about 60k to go and he looked after himself from there on in.

Everyone from second down gifted Fab first by not working together to bring him back - if "top ten" Paris Roubaix is what they want on their palmares then I guess that's fine, but I would have liked a race to have been made of it.