Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I wonder if FC has been told to slow down now

I can just imagine Riis on the radio; "Slow down, the guys on Bikeradar are getting suspicious" :wink:
    am sure plenty pros would raise eyebrows at a 4 minute winning gap which he was on course for 10 miles ago...
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    This is biblical! I'll never forget this day, one of the greatest performances ever!

Fabo!
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    This feels, looks about like Chiapucci's ride to Sestriere 1992, Landis 06, Armstrong 01 Alpe d'Huez , Indurain's 1992 Luxembourg TT...

Now what could you be implying?

that everyone has the same DNA, same training, same bikes more or less..Sean Kelly sums up my feelings from what i read

Everyone has the same DNA? :roll:
    well, we're all fairly similar then..wonder if FC has been told to slow down now
    Small changes in genetics make huge differences. A Clydesdale has similar genes to a race horse but they are not alike.

Two people could look pretty similar yet one was born with an ability to ride a bike well and the other will never be able to no matter how hard they try.
  • What kind of Group was RdV With when Merckx put 5mins into him?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:

I can just imagine Riis on the radio; "Slow down, the guys on Bikeradar are getting suspicious" :wink:

:lol:

I wonder what's he's got in his pocket this time.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Great ride from Leukemans
  • dave_1
    afx237vi wrote:
    Well, this was a nice thread...

+1 whats so unbelievable a TT that can ride Classics on super form has got a gap ( becasue some of the contenders were napping ) and holding it hardly that beyond belief. Whats funny is that you always hear complaints that no one attacks 50 out anymore and then when they do it there dopers cant please everyone i suppose Congrats Chinny a Amazing ride

And Armstrong's palmares is beyond belief? lol :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,794
    Timoid. wrote:
    On a complete aside, does anyone else think the Sporza commentator sounds a bit like Kermit the frog?

Do NOT diss Michel Wuyts.

He is everything all other commentators should be.

The distance in quality between his commentator peers is bigger than the distance today between Cancellara and the rest.
  • Moomaloid
    Ha ha did Flecha just attack in slo mo? :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

+1 whats so unbelievable a TT that can ride Classics on super form has got a gap ( becasue some of the contenders were napping ) and holding it hardly that beyond belief. Whats funny is that you always hear complaints that no one attacks 50 out anymore and then when they do it there dopers cant please everyone i suppose Congrats Chinny a Amazing ride

Indeed. Look, I'm quite cynical when it comes to cycling, but I don't know why people are surprised at this.
  • Moomaloid
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

:lol:

I wonder what's he's got in his pocket this time.

That damn little Angel LOL, i gotta get me one of those! Ha ha
  • What exactly does Armstrong have to do with anything enjoy the race :roll:
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:
    On a complete aside, does anyone else think the Sporza commentator sounds a bit like Kermit the frog?

Do NOT diss Michel Wuyts.

He is everything all other commentators should be.

The distance in quality between his commentator peers is bigger than the distance today between Cancellara and the rest.

Not dissing him. I can make more sense of the dutch on this channel than the double dutch on Eurosport.

I'm also a Kermit fan.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Let's take time to analyse the group Cancellara rode away from -

Boonen - was attacking fairly regularly to try and gap Breschel. Attacks don't come free. They hurt your legs. Too much too soon?

Flecha - an also-ran IMO

Thor - crap form this early season

Pozzato - has spent his build-up to P-R on the bog.

Hammond - good rider, not a marquee rider

Hoste - see the de Vlaeminck comments in another thread
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Moomaloid
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Indeed. Look, I'm quite cynical when it comes to cycling, but I don't know why people are surprised at this.

+1!! I don't see whats so crazy about this ride apart from its impressiveness... fantastic ride and a great champion!
  • Bravo
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

+1. He's the strongest rider in the best form. He's now slowing as he doesn't need to hammer it so much.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    Fab looks so tired...finding time to show the lucky charm...yes, definitely on his knees hence the falling time gap
  • dave_1
    Timoid. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

+1. He's the strongest rider in the best form. He's now slowing as he doesn't need to hammer it so much.

ah..it's not Armstrong so you'' believe it? :roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,829
    Pippo is really annoying...I think I am going to have to remove him from my signature.
    What a disaster for you. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Canc him if you can...

No hands 8)
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Trying to look spent. :lol: sorry fab, you are as fresh as paint :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

Quite.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Fantastic, bravo to the superb Cancellara!!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Cancellara is a legend, pure and simple!!
  • Boonen knackered himself with attacks, the others couldn't be arsed chasing. The whole peloton know that you're just not going to beat the world time trial champion over a flat 40k if he's feeling good and hasn't done a scrap of work all day. Chapeau Cancellara, it was one hell of a performance.
  • timoid.
    Blatant cheating, he didn't even use his hands for the last lap!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,829
    Hammond beats Boonan. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    poor Flecha ...at least he made an effort! :)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen knackered himself with attacks, the others couldn't be arsed chasing. The whole peloton know that you're just not going to beat the world time trial champion over a flat 40k if he's feeling good and hasn't done a scrap of work all day. Chapeau Cancellara, it was one hell of a performance.

Disagree.

Boonen was not on the form he's had in other years.

Last year he rode with similar agression and was the strongest on the day.
  • Hammond beats Boonen in a sprint? I take it all back. Anything CAN happen!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent