Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

167891012»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    The photos of Cancellara show a man giving it everything. No half measure. Champion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    donrhummy wrote:
    Watch Cancellara break away again. Boonen had NOTHING to follow him with. You can see he turns it on a bit more and looks taxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-y04Hk ... _embedded#
    Of course he does. When Boonen gets to the front of that group Cancellara already has a 100m gap. Of course Boonen is never going to win a TT against Cancellara on flat tarmac (or anywhere else really). It was the situation Boonen should have avoided at all cost.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I have too many photos of this rider given great efforts. No half measure. Champion.
    But didn't he use Tirreno-Adriatico and even Milan-San Remo as a mere training race :wink:
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Strange tactics from Boonen , beaten by the strongest man on the day though , I struggle to see many scenarios where Boonen beats Cancellara . Perhaps if he used one of the motorbikes ?

( I dont mean for shelter , actually getting on one and riding it ! )
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    donrhummy wrote:

"......we have a problem, teeheehee"

Commentary genius
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • donrhummy wrote:

"......we have a problem, teeheehee"

Commentary genius

...it being the anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Team Sky training by Michael Barry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_LM1znjPI
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Riis reveals the secret of Cancellara's Roubaix attack

Pressed by several Belgian journalists, Riis could not resist having a dig at Tom Boonen.

"Boonen is strong but Cancellara is better. He's great," he said with total admiration.

"Boonen made mistakes during the race. How many? Two can be too many. I think if you want to win this race you have to stay calm, relaxed and not stressed. Then go when you have to go.

I've got a lot of time for Canc but Riis really winds me up. It took a while to 'reveal the secret' of his own Hautacam attack. Luigi Cecchini.

Strava is not Zen.
  • I'd like to know why Pozatto kept touching Boonen's arse? Something you'd like to tell us Pippo?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I'd like to know why Pozatto kept touching Boonen's ars*? Something you'd like to tell us Pippo?

Have you not seen the advert ???

Goto www.sidisport.com then cycling, then advertising and check Pippos advert out.
  • colomers
    colomers Posts: 23
    Hello Greasedscotsman
    you can see on you tube our first video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDH5W8MzG4

Francis
  • pat1cp wrote:
    I'd like to know why Pozatto kept touching Boonen's ars*? Something you'd like to tell us Pippo?

Have you not seen the advert ???

Goto www.sidisport.com then cycling, then advertising and check Pippos advert out.

No, please don't mention the Pozatto advert, I'm doing my best to forget it! It's bad enought having to watch the Tyler Farrar one in French all weekend...
  • colomers wrote:
    Hello Greasedscotsman
    you can see on you tube our first video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDH5W8MzG4

Francis

Hey Francis,

I'll have to check out that video later, I can't get onto You Tube at work. I'll upload a few of my photos later, not sure about my videos, I think I had my new camera set to the wrong setting, they play fine on the camera, but not on the computer.

But great to chat with you. And I appologise for my rather silly hair, it was very windy! Maybe I should have worn my Etap hat thingy?
  • colomers
    colomers Posts: 23
    to greasedscotsman
    we have a lot of pictures of the race,i'll give you the way to watch them

Good afternoon

Francis
  • frenchfighter
    Re-watching this video of when the attack took place, I am struck that Boonen was on the front giving it everything for a full 4k with zero help. The margin wasn't so big then...but it started going up quite a bit after that when Bonnen slowed up to try and get the others to work.

He is right to be angry and those suckers are not commendable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-y04HkmnE
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's Boonen's fault, he was attacking pointlessly. He then sat up and it was then Cancellara just rode away.

Ask yourself, if you were in that group - imagine you are Hushovd or Hoste - would you be confident you bring back Cancellara? Me, no, I'd realise that chasing would only suit the others in the group and that my chances of bridging across were tiny. The moment he got 50 metres it was game over and the rest were playing for the podium.
  • frenchfighter
    edited April 2010
    Logic says that 4-5 of some of the best classics riders in the World working together well and from the outset could have a very good shot at pulling back another of the best classic riders in the World.

Although it does happen, it is pretty rare for someone to simply ride off from a group and hold out for 50km, even if Fabu is one who could do it and had shown his form in Flanders.

Maybe they couldn't have caught him, but they could have had a go for say 20-30km to see if they pegged/decreased the gap then given up if the gap had increased too much. I mean they had given up from the start.

As an aside, this video is one of my favourite of Fabian's and shows him riding off the front of the peloton and holding out for the win:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBMbYq-v0Y
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    By the way, just read that it has been 103 years since there have been no winners in all of the 9 early classics.

And see Merckx's comments :D

“If this is not Merckxian, what is?" he said, according to Het Nieuwsblad. "It was really the way I did before. A very impressive performance.”
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3784/ ... ories.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    As much as Cancellara won, the main group gifted it to him. Boonen was right to try and break Cancellara down early on but the other classics 'experts' in the group need a kick up the arse. they didn't work with each other because they all thought Boonen should do the chasing. At least one of them should have gone for it. I looked at the way Hushovd finished. He clearly had more to give. And what did Pozzato do other than suck wheels?
    I can't get my head around the fact that no one wanted to chase. They had the tools between them to close the gap and make it a race to the finish.
  • petejuk wrote:
    And what did Pozzato do other than suck wheels?

Get dropped?

But I tend to agree with your other points...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    petejuk wrote:
    As much as Cancellara won, the main group gifted it to him. Boonen was right to try and break Cancellara down early on but the other classics 'experts' in the group need a kick up the ars*. they didn't work with each other because they all thought Boonen should do the chasing. At least one of them should have gone for it. I looked at the way Hushovd finished. He clearly had more to give. And what did Pozzato do other than suck wheels?
    I can't get my head around the fact that no one wanted to chase. They had the tools between them to close the gap and make it a race to the finish.

Almost agree entirely, They all thought it was lost if they got to the last bits with Fab and Tom in the group , which to be fair to them is exactly what Tom did last time (or the last time I watched it at least). Hushovd perhaps was an exception but tried to use everyone else as his lead out train...

Perhaps they all thought "Quickstep" should chase forgetting this was not a GT and there were no "teams" left, more fool them really!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    It's Boonen's fault, he was attacking pointlessly.

Only if you are the QS director, otherwise no, there were more than 2 riders in the race.

As for the others sometimes you have to gamble to win. I agree taking Boonen up to Canc is a risk, but what is the alternative, yep 2nd, which is first loser. Sorry but this smacks of risk adverse racing controlled by DS who would rather get a rider on the podium than not at all. Maybe it keeps the paymasters happy, but not the fans IMO.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    *apologies - Cervelo did have two so maybe they should have put in a better effort but then according to Hammond...
    I was hoping to open up the race early and make Boonen and Cancellera commit,” he explained. “But Cancellera was isolated, he was on his own basically in the front so I started attacking early but they also started following me really early. Cancellera was unbelievable, he was on a different planet, and we realized we had to ride for second directly. So we started racing for second once he was on his own. ( http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3771/Cervelo-content-with-second-and-fourth-in-Paris-Roubaix.aspx )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    csp wrote:
    Team Sky training by Michael Barry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_LM1znjPI

That cameraman is impressive - riding all those cobbles no handed! :)

Great video - loved seeing all the mud flying up - reminded me of the grand national.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    ddraver wrote:
    *apologies - Cervelo did have two so maybe they should have put in a better effort but then according to Hammond...
    I was hoping to open up the race early and make Boonen and Cancellera commit,” he explained. “But Cancellera was isolated, he was on his own basically in the front so I started attacking early but they also started following me really early. Cancellera was unbelievable, he was on a different planet, and we realized we had to ride for second directly. So we started racing for second once he was on his own. ( http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3771/Cervelo-content-with-second-and-fourth-in-Paris-Roubaix.aspx )

Cervelo were the only team with 2 riders. Hushovd may be able to beat Boonen in a sprint but he's been ill and missed a load of training/racing recently. If he doesn't have the confidence to beat Boonen then they're better off playing for 2nd (successfully as it turned out.) Negative racing but with Cancellara as strong as he was it was probably the correct choice.

Still brings to mind Riis on Hautacam though. :cry: