Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    This time yesterday, I only had two little toes.

From about 4:50 yesterday afternoon I appear to now have three....

Looks like I am going to have to shelve the plans to buy a new Canyon for a few weeks at least. But I am sure my new son wont mind.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Woot!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Excellent. Many congratulions to all of the toes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congratulations!
    It will soon be time for one of these!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Oh congratulations Rubertoe! I was in a bad mood this morning because I've eaten all my Christmas chocolate and can't do up my nicest work trousers :oops: , but this has put a better shine on the day :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Fantastic! Have fun!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Left work at the same time as a colleague on a moped. We both turned left out of the main gate and the idea to see if I could pass him came into my head. To do it within 100 foot was fat too easy but it still counts, doesn't it?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    A mixture of rant and anti-rant:
    After owning my current car (which looks a bit like this)nickelshoot_25.jpg
    for thirteen trouble-free years, I'm selling it to buy this

hnacc011a.jpg
    I'm going to miss my coupé but the estate is better for carrying bikes.
    A friend who knows thinks I may be able to get up to £1k for the coupé, which (if it happens) would be amazing for a 17 year old car with over 130k on the clock.

I think I'm growing up, damn it!

• veronese68
    EKE don't be ridiculous! As per Keyser Soze's signature you'll never grow up, although growing older is inevitable.
    You could get an Alfa estate. Rubbish for carrying bikes, but they look the dogs danglies. My Audi is better for carrying bikes, but dull as dull can be. I miss my Alfa.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE don't be ridiculous! As per Keyser Soze's signature you'll never grow up, although growing older is inevitable.
    You could get an Alfa estate. Rubbish for carrying bikes, but they look the dogs danglies. My Audi is better for carrying bikes, but dull as dull can be. I miss my Alfa.
    In an effort to keep my inner boy-racer alive, I seriously looked at the 2.4 litre petrol version and the 2 litre turbo, 200 bhp Skoda Octavia VRS, but a mechanic friend (some friend) talked sense into me by running through service and repair costs.

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    That Accord is indeed cavernous, but by crikey it's dull.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • msmancunia
    Just got back from the fracture clinic, and I've been informed that my wrist is fixed. Have a month of physio to do before I can get on a bike again but 1 February can't come soon enough :D
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    msmancunia wrote:
    Just got back from the fracture clinic, and I've been informed that my wrist is fixed. Have a month of physio to do before I can get on a bike again but 1 February can't come soon enough :D

Whoop! Chance to give the other one a break!

(Edit: I mean a rest, obvs!)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • EKE_38BPM
    davis wrote:
    That Accord is indeed cavernous, but by crikey it's dull.
    Dull, you say...
    0589354-Toyota-Avensis-Wagon-2.0-D4-D-Linea-Terra-2000.jpg

By the time I lower it, tint the windows, put on a 4" stainless steel slash cut exhaust, cold air intake, 18" alloys, aftermarket carbon fibre aero pack and custom graphics, it won't be dull anymore.

Only one of those things is actually going to happen.

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Halfords. Sorted me right out.

Bike developed a crack around the join between seat tube and top tube. Halfords replaced frame, forks (had some corrosion on them), handlebars, rear shifter, derailleur, front mech, chain, brake calipers, all cables, and pedals. Free of charge. Got LBS to replace cassette.

Same bike but mainly new. :)

Now just have to decide on a cycle to work road bike, options are Genesis Volant 00, Giant Defy 4, or the Allez C2. Im thinking Genesis
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    By the time I lower it, tint the windows, put on a 4" stainless steel slash cut exhaust, cold air intake, 18" alloys, aftermarket carbon fibre aero pack and custom graphics, it won't be dull anymore.

Is the one thing tinting the windows so nobody can see your shame?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Is the one thing tinting the windows so nobody can see your shame?

I believe that model has a heated rear screen, which will be useful to keep your hands warm when you have to push it. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Today was the day, for the first ride after the accident, rolled home though Bushy Park, very slowly and carefully, wanted to test (safely!) if the dizziness I get moving my head at times, would effect the bike, ie looking back, looking left/right etc.

All fine, rather terrifying and shattering was a whole mile and half! But very pleased bar being tired no problems out of the saddle and looking back etc. so woohoo!
  • msmancunia
    Well done! Three weeks to go for me, and cacking it a bit if I'm honest. Most scared about road vibe, for some reason. Which reminds me, I need to do my hateful, painful, stupid physio :cry:
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Well done! Three weeks to go for me, and cacking it a bit if I'm honest. Most scared about road vibe, for some reason. Which reminds me, I need to do my hateful, painful, stupid physio :cry:

yes it does rather hurt, if you stop doesn't it! taken me a while to get back to doing the Physio still provides my wife with entertainment!

be a while till I try road i suspect! take it slow seems to be the name of the game.
  • veronese68
    Pleased to hear it Roger, great news.
    MSM, do your physio! :twisted:
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:

:roll: Yes Dad :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Been granted time off work for this http://www.greatwestonride.com Just need to organise the taxi (aka Dad) back home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

:roll: Yes Dad :roll:
    It's for your own good young lady, etc, etc :P
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Meant to post this yesterday:

Popped down to Halfords in Loughborough on Sunday morning (10am) and there were genuinely more bikes out than cars. There were cyclists everywhere... the A6 was chocka with them: on the road, on the shared (and pretty good) cycle paths, waiting at lights - and the drivers were ALL very patient and attentive.

The best bit was driving back and just getting to my house to see a father teaching his daughter to ride without stabilisers. He saw my huge grin and smiled back, and yes she was genuinely saying "don't let go! don't let go!"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    I was supposed to be leading a week long training course this week. I called the school on friday afternoon and the teacher who I was liasing with wasn't around but called me at the end of the day to tell me that she hadn't given the kids the consent forms they need to have their parents sign in order to come out on the road for the training. Great, but as we don't go out on the road on monday, as long as the form went out on monday and was signed and returned on tuesday, it should be fine.

So I arrived at the school nice and early this morning and was told that there were no bikes, no kids and the parents don't want their little darlings riding on the roads. The course has now been cancelled and may be reschuled.

This is an anti-rant because I get a week's wages but donm't have to work for it.

• A mate of mine wanted a decent bike for social rides with the family but had a limited budget so he asked me to keep an eye out for one on ebay for him. Had been looking for a few weeks before something local and suitable came up. Saw something very nice (and very cheap) last week and let him know, only to find out he had bought a new bike from the LBS the day before. The bike was too good to miss out on though so I bought it :lol: . Took him and another mate out on the North York Moors on Saturday for an afternoon of playing in the mud and we had a whale of a time. My new bike performed brilliantly so very pleased with my accidental purchase. It was the first time I'd been off road since breaking my collar bone a few months ago. It is still not very well and am scheduled to have surgery two weeks today. Knowing there is a new toy waiting for me to play with is certain to speed up recovery time though.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    Hit by car on tuesday (not injured as he hit the bike not me.

Bike fixed and driver paid for repairs with no quibbles - turned round in less than a week.

First commute on it again tomorrow... :-/
  • Katiebob wrote:
    Hit by car on tuesday (not injured as he hit the bike not me.

Bike fixed and driver paid for repairs with no quibbles - turned round in less than a week.

First commute on it again tomorrow... :-/

good for you....
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • msmancunia
    I rode a bike today for the first time since I broke my wrist. Just four very muddy miles on the MTB up Tandle Hill, but it has made me happy x100.