Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well, the power station itself might still be there, but I bet the turbines and other bits of kit inside have been replaced more than once in 40 years; ditto the wooden workings of the Dutch wind pumps - the same as any machine.

That's what I meant about it not being that simple. But, it comes down to whether the parts can be replaced. In the case of these turbines, it would seem not. Which is a bit surprising really. Thing is, these things are going up on pseudo environmental justifications whereas in fact that aspect of their benefits seems to be uncertain.I'm open minded on them for this reason (though I'd prefer it if they kept them off the high ground which looks great without them and kept them on the flat land which probably looks better with them) but I'd prefer it if there was more honesty about the negatives.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    I think we'll see a move more towards offshore wind farms: fewer people to upset, more space so better economies of scale, better wind.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd rather see a move to tidal & wave power... Plus offshore wind is heinously expensive.
  • rjsterry
    According to this offshore wind costs about the same as if not less than tidal. In the UK, tidal pretty much means one thing: the proposals for a barrage across the Severn. The impact of damming the Severn from Lavernock Point to Burnham on Sea would dwarf that of a few wind turbines.

Perhaps we should move this to another thread.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I just got an e-mail from Mrs Toe
    I haven’t received junk email for ages on my computer and now I keep getting ones entitled: HealthCare: Lose 5-7kg per week!

Rude.

I am pregnant, not fat.

:cry:

It made me laugh out loud at my desk.... :twisted:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • My mother in law (she is in her late 60s) got a phone call a couple of weeks ago from the "technical department of the World Wide Web". They know she has problems with her computer (which is at my place unplugged for 2 years now) and really wanted to help her out with it. Luckily she is a bit smarter and didn't fall for it but called me.
    Made my evening :D
  • I'm a dad! :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm a dad! :D

Woot!

So am I. It happened a while ago, but it still makes me happy every day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    Asprilla wrote:

Woot!

Congratulations.

I'm not yet, but will be soon. I am excited.

:D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Asprilla wrote:

Woot!

Me too. These days the fact I'm a dad makes me more likely to post in Rants than Anti-rants though. :?

Congratulations
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I'm a dad! :D
    Congratulations! Enjoy the first couple of nights of silence before the baby version of the "Hunger Games" begins!
  • hegyestomi wrote:
    Congratulations! Enjoy the first couple of nights of silence before the baby version of the "Hunger Games" begins!

Ha! Too late for that, I'm afraid. He's one week old today, but we only got home on Sunday. The 'quiet' days went by in a blur of, where am I, what's that, and how the hell did it get out of there?

Thanks for the kind words, all.
  • rjsterry
    Congratulations J_T.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Congrats Mr Trousers.
    Going on from WBW's comment mine make me want to rant and anti-rant almost simultaneously. But they are a source of immense joy and pride at (nearly) all times.
  • Congratulations. Nothing will bring you more pleasure

or sadness.
    'fool'
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Jeden z polskich dziewczyn wykorzystywane jej kobiece wdzięki na mnie tej nocy, żeby mnie coś zrobić, bo poprosił ją, aby zrobić to samo wcześniej miałem zamiar to robić, ale mieć ją z bliska był bonus :D

One of the Polish girls used her feminine charms on me tonight to get me to do something, as I asked her to do the same previously I was going to do it anyway but to have her up close and personal was a bonus
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    tak, mleczną herbatę z dwóch cukrów?
  • rubertoe
    Można dostać w dół dla mnie proszę, nie mogę całkiem ją dostać?

Kiedy podniósł duży boosom drogę.

or something like that?

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Co piekło jest grubym płótnem za wszelką cenę i jak może wszelki obmyślają to jest warte pieniądze?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    "Mój poduszkowiec jest pełen węgorzy!"
  • rubertoe
    You own eels

disgusting.

• redvee
    Jeden z polskich dziewczyn wykorzystywane jej kobiece wdzięki na mnie tej nocy, żeby mnie coś zrobić, bo poprosił ją, aby zrobić to samo wcześniej miałem zamiar to robić, ale mieć ją z bliska był bonus :D

Translated from:
    One of the Polish girls used her feminine charms on me tonight to get me to do something, as I asked her to do the same previously I was going to do it anyway but to have her up close and personal was a bonus
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congratulations JT.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There was a bit of a barney at work yesterday. I was training a group of eight 9&10 year old girls on how to start & end a journey and how to pass a side road as the local postman was doing his rounds. I saw him talking to my colleague but thought nothing of it as passers-by often pass comment e.g. "Its really good to see kids getting cycle training".
    By the time the session finished and we returned to the school the postie had just finished delivering to the school and wanted to continue the conversation with me.

It was not what I expected!

"You shouldn't have them kids on such a busy road!", "I wouldn't ride on a road as busy as that!", "You should have one instructor at the start, one up the side road and one at the end!" etc.
    I replied to each statement with: "This is the area they live and have to learn to ride these roads safely.", "Maybe you would if you had some cycle training." and "There are two of us positioned so that we always have the kids in sight and all traffic is visible to us."
    He muttered something along the lines of "I've been riding on the road for 30 years!" so I replied "So have I" and wandered off.

This may sound like a rant but today one of the parents of the kids came up to me to say that they were watching the training from their window and the postie had a rant to her about us as he made a delivery to her house. She told him that she is glad the kids are getting such good, real world, training and that he is an idiot if he thinks 15 cars in 20 minutes is "too busy". Her daughter told her what happened at the school so she wanted to let us know we had her full backing and was going to report the postie to his supervisors for "blatent dumbfuckery".

That really made me smile.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    There was a bit of a barney at work yesterday. I was training a group of eight 9&10 year old girls on how to start & end a journey and how to pass a side road as the local postman was doing his rounds. I saw him talking to my colleague but thought nothing of it as passers-by often pass comment e.g. "Its really good to see kids getting cycle training".
    By the time the session finished and we returned to the school the postie had just finished delivering to the school and wanted to continue the conversation with me.

It was not what I expected!

"You shouldn't have them kids on such a busy road!", "I wouldn't ride on a road as busy as that!", "You should have one instructor at the start, one up the side road and one at the end!" etc.
    I replied to each statement with: "This is the area they live and have to learn to ride these roads safely.", "Maybe you would if you had some cycle training." and "There are two of us positioned so that we always have the kids in sight and all traffic is visible to us."
    He muttered something along the lines of "I've been riding on the road for 30 years!" so I replied "So have I" and wandered off.

This may sound like a rant but today one of the parents of the kids came up to me to say that they were watching the training from their window and the postie had a rant to her about us as he made a delivery to her house. She told him that she is glad the kids are getting such good, real world, training and that he is an idiot if he thinks 15 cars in 20 minutes is "too busy". Her daughter told her what happened at the school so she wanted to let us know we had her full backing and was going to report the postie to his supervisors for "blatent dumbfuckery".

That really made me smile.
    :D
  • redvee
    Got the Win7 PC back up and running, had to use my old XP PC with only a 120GB SSD.
  • Thanks for the congrats, kids! I'll leave you to the bike stuff now. There's a floor needs to be paced.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Watched Look T'Grim North tonight instead of our local Look Tractors bulletin to see what was being said about next year's TdY, and was hugely impressed at a v rotund fellow speaking fluent frangshire at Johny Onion - "beeeyen vernue ah Yarksheeer silver plate" - but more so that a good chunk of the programme came from t'pub at bottom ot Cragg Vale, a hill I could draw in some detail on a roll of wallpaper if called upon and which leads to the top of England's best upwards facing road - Blackstone Edge. Would it be an act of madness to buy back the in-laws' house just down the road from there in time for the big event next year? I believe not.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    CiB wrote:
    Watched Look T'Grim North tonight instead of our local Look Tractors bulletin to see what was being said about next year's TdY, and was hugely impressed at a v rotund fellow speaking fluent frangshire at Johny Onion - "beeeyen vernue ah Yarksheeer silver plate" - but more so that a good chunk of the programme came from t'pub at bottom ot Cragg Vale, a hill I could draw in some detail on a roll of wallpaper if called upon and which leads to the top of England's best upwards facing road - Blackstone Edge. Would it be an act of madness to buy back the in-laws' house just down the road from there in time for the big event next year? I believe not.

I live but twelve miles away *gloats* 8) I think I'll just toddle up there in the morning on my bike.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    msmancunia wrote:
    I live but twelve miles away *gloats* 8) I think I'll just toddle up there in the morning on my bike.
    <jealous>
    I have an idea that the wife's aunt might be getting a visit from us that weekend.