Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Managed a full 5 days last week for the first time!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    msmancunia wrote:
    Incidentally, CiB, I rode up Cragg Vale yesterday as part of my home - Mythlmroyd - home loop, and I can report that someone has already distance marked it from the bottom to the top in kilometres ready for next year's Tour. Additionally, they have gone along the whole road and spray painted every single pothole that needs filling, every grid that needs levelling off, and every crack that needs filling (oo-er!). It's going to be a heck of a job as they had numbered them and I think there were eighty-odd.
    Now I've got my jealous pants on :wink: - since the out-laws moved away from there I haven't got an excuse to get up there to the pub from either side so last year's jaunt might turn out to be my last ever up it. Filling a few holes and levelling bits off is long overdue tho.

Good luck with the dates, but I hope we don't get a blow by blow account as it progresses or there might be a few more of us with the jealous trousers on. X. :oops:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Blitzed the commute home again, 19.2mph average. With a bit more effort and riding I'd like to think I can break the 20mph ave for the 10 miles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sportives could get a whole lot more interesting......

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australi ... 2s20b.html

YoungEinstein.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Honeymoon in Maui which included a ~30 mile bike ride.

That is all.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Climbed this today http://www.strava.com/segments/1269937 admittedly very slowly and with a short break about 50 yards from the top. But still I got my fat @rse up it and I wasn't the slowest.

Aaaand I scalped someone as well. Don't care if he was on a hybrid with a (empty) rack and I was on my slinky roadie, weight of me + slinky roadie > weight of him + heavier hybrid. He did nearly get his scalp back when he caught me on a descent though. My descending technique is as bad as a Luxembourger in the wet :roll:
  • redvee
    AS we're in a Strava bragging mood, here's mine. I created this segment as an opposite to one already created.

http://app.strava.com/segments/4749350

Which I now hold the KoM on :) Somebody else then created shorted segments within my 1.2 mile segment which after a few days of trying I now hold those KoMs too.

Took a few days on this one cause I didn't know where the start was.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/5115910
    http://app.strava.com/segments/5115932

All the other riders have the luxury of daylight for these segments and more than one gear to choose from, all my KoMs are on my SS at 22:00
  • redvee
    Just helped a friend buy his first clipless pedals and shoes from Evans

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... e-ec029811

and

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec050917

As the keen cyclist he sought my advice about going MTB style or road style but he went roadie style. I turned him off the idea by telling him he will fall over at some point whilst learning to ride clipless :lol: He will put the pedals on his old hybrid to learn how to ride with them as he doesn't mind scratching it rather than his new bike.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Day 28 and I am still smoke free.

I wonder when I will start to feel better and if buying a new chain, a light and a brake caliper is enough of a treat?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sportives could get a whole lot more interesting......

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australi ... 2s20b.html

YoungEinstein.jpg

Yahoo Serious is 60 years old.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    rubertoe wrote:

I wonder when I will start to feel better and if buying a new chain, a light and a brake caliper is enough of a treat?

Congrats! I think I've done two weeks. Finding it easier now I've decided to cut out drink for the duration...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rubertoe
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Congrats! I think I've done two weeks. Finding it easier now I've decided to cut out drink for the duration...

I thought that drinking would be my downfall, I have actually drunk more than when I was smoking.... I was a 20 a day smoker for 15 years.

Well done to you as well - little wins and all that.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• asprilla
    rubertoe wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

I thought that drinking would be my downfall, I have actually drunk more than when I was smoking.... I was a 20 a day smoker for 15 years.

Well done to you as well - little wins and all that.

Hangovers are a hell of a lot more bearable when you've not smoked.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Asprilla wrote:
    :shock: But they already feel like the end of the world.
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Imagine a hangover but where, during the night, a gorilla sat on your chest and shat in your mouth.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rubertoe
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Imagine a hangover but where, during the night, a gorilla sat on your chest and shat in your mouth.

:lol::lol:

This is exactaly what it is like.

Also the beer tastes so much better now...

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    rubertoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This is exactaly what it is like.

Also the beer tastes so much better now...

You'll find (if you didn't already) that you much prefer proper beer. When you were smoking you couldn't really taste lager and now you can you'll go off it pretty damn fast!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • been temporarily provided a go-pro for the end2end - great!

been running around last minute to find a bar mount for it! No one keeping any stock, no answer from Evans lakeside that i'll be passing on my way up tomorrow.

Final attempt at the LBS by work, none in stock, but he has loaned me his own bar mount to use! what a hero! So i bought a gilet too....which he discounted. :mrgreen:
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Merlin Cycles webshop, yet another item on their free delivery service turned up next day. Using them more than wiggle these days.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • ordered a new pair of cleats from Tweeks Cycles and selected the free delivery. Was told the cleats would arrive in 3-4 days. they arrived in 2 days. fantastic service. thanks Tweeks. :D
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • veronese68
    Won £250 of Evans vouchers. :-)
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ker-ching!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • redvee
    Veronese68 wrote:

I blame Wiggle :lol:
  • veronese68
    Browsing the Evans website the EPO told me I didn't have to spend it all at once. Hah! What does she know? I've already spent over £1,000 of it mentally and I haven't looked at any bikes yet.
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Browsing the Evans website the EPO told me I didn't have to spend it all at once. Hah! What does she know? I've already spent over £1,000 of it mentally and I haven't looked at any bikes yet.

What you going for?

Sidi's?

• veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

What you going for?

Sidi's?
    Not sure yet. New bash hat, some clothes, some carbon, hubs and rims to try wheel building, Hy/Rd brakes (when they get them), tools, tyres, some bling, anything else I fancy.
    Oh, I forgot to say thank you to Future Publishing for them as well. Worth answering the questionnaires when they pop up on here.
  • rubertoe
    Twice this week I have ridden home from work and not switched on the Garmin.

Sometimes its just nice to ride my bike.

Let alone an anti-rant i think I am becoming anti=Garmin (I do want a Garmin tourer though).

• rubertoe wrote:
    Twice this week I have ridden home from work and not switched on the Garmin.

Sometimes its just nice to ride my bike.

Let alone an anti-rant i think I am becoming anti=Garmin (I do want a Garmin tourer though).

need to learn to potter! I like the garmin since I use strava for mapping/history

Yesterday after work (been there 32hrs) I was tired to put it mildly if I went home I'd sleep and not see my wife, so I pottered into the park limped up DarkHill freewheeled down Broomfield etc I looked at the park etc, not the Garmin.

I had a lovely potter I only got above 20mph freewheeling down hills, had some lunch under a tree etc, lot of potters in the park since only a few passed me and ended up slowing behind some or overtaking depending how much I could be bothered at that point.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Pedal for Scotland complete :D

And the weather was kind i.e. there was no wind although it wasn't the warmest day. And of course I put on summery socks so my feet were freezing by the time I got to the 3rd feed stop as the previous 15 miles were all downhill.

Annoyingly checking strava I was slower on all the uphill sections of the route than before but faster on the downhills. So I guess what larger wheels giveth they also taketh away.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    nice gentle 118k road ride today to get some fitness back after no activity for 15 days.

The weather was lovely despite pissing it down for 12 minutes which were the exact 12 minutes we were in Peaslake stores buying and consuming drinks and cake.

Didn't get wet at all 8)
    FCN = 4