Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Puttering home yesterday evening on tired legs, I heard the 'swoosh' of carbon wheels behind me, and was passed by a trio of thin, tanned men on VERY expensive TT bikes, clad in Team Sky kit. As is my wont, I nailed the pedal to the metal in hot pursuit, but hampered by a 14kg hybrid bike, 276kg of pannier-crap, and a complete lack of talent, the gap was un-closeable. All I managed to do was come close to bursting several blood vessels, and end up frothing at the mouth, sweat bursting from every pore as they disappeared into the distance - no doubt chatting happily, unaware of the shambolic wreck slowly expiring in their effortless wake....

It will be fun hovering around the courses of the TT and Road Race Nationals this week, in the hope of tagging along with some of the stars doing a recce to see where all the potholes are.....

EDIT: Having now looked at the entry list for tomorrow's TT, I suspect the trio in question were Ian Stannard, Luke Rowe and Ben Swift :D
    Stannard rides a lot round these parts and is KOM on quite a few segments that I've done. I think he must have a nice car though, judging by the gap between his times and the rest of us.
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    Loving being back on the bike this morning at last. Been having to catch the bus for the last week and a half after stupid flu completely beat me (not helped by not being able to take anything as pregnant). Bus is soooo slow taking over 45 min with a 10 min walk at the end whereas bike is 15-20min ride in the glorious fresh air! Was fantastic, if hard work, to be back on the bike today. Scary how much fitness I seem to have lost since last cycled.

Also finding my work colleagues very funny at the moment although I know they have my best interests at heart. As soon as told them I'm pregnant 99% of them think I should not be cycling to work anymore. I haven't fallen off my bike since I was a child and no intention of doing so now. Plus I'm well aware of the accident black spots on my commute and taking it a bit more cautious and have even worked out a flatter route to avoid Athelstan Road hill so think I'm fine.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Congratulations :) And as long as you feel up to it, keep riding!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Cycling along Spencer Park yesterday, going quite quick (for me). Bus a little way ahead indicates to pull out from a bus stop, so rather than try to overtake him as he's pulling out I start to slow down to let him pull out, which he could have done safely. Now usually, buses hang around with their right indicator on and don't let you know what they're doing so you have to assume that they're going to pull out. But this bus driver obviously saw me, so started to indicate left ( = "I'm not going to pull out, please pass"), allowing me to pass him without losing too much speed. Which was nice. I gave him a wave as I went past.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • msmancunia
    I got a letter today to say I passed my probationary period at work.
    I can now access our cycle to work scheme which has a limit of two grand.
    It's my birthday tomorrow.
    I remembered to send my best friend a birthday card for Friday.
    I had a sunny ride home.
    AND I took a QOM off one of the Dutch Olympic cycle team who was probably on a recovery ride but still!
    Today has been a good day :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Well done on all counts MSM, that's great.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:
    I had a sunny ride home.
    AND I took a QOM off one of the Dutch Olympic cycle team who was probably on a recovery ride but still!

I think that puts you in spitting distance of a perfect day.

Oh, wait....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:
    I had a sunny ride home.

Oh, wait....

:lol: I still can't believe he actually spat a whole mouthful of water at me.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    msmancunia wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    I had a sunny ride home.

Oh, wait....

:lol: I still can't believe he actually spat a whole mouthful of water at me.

Well then Happy Birthday!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Happy Birthday MsM.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    Thank you :) just wondering how I'm going to cycle home with wine, chocolate and stuffed full of birthday cake...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    msmancunia wrote:
    Thank you :) just wondering how I'm going to cycle home with wine, chocolate and stuffed full of birthday cake...

Cautiously :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Eat the chocolates and put the bottles of wine in your bottle cages. Having them open and swigging from them as you ride is optional.

Happy B'day
  • veronese68
    Happy birthday MSM, hope your day is at least as good as yesterday.
    Could you lash up something like this for the wine:
    fixie.jpg
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Now should I pop out for a roll in the RAB Paralympics GB jersey they gave me for being one of their highest fundraisers?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • So after 3 years and 10,500 miles I've finally had a repeat visit from the PF.
    Anti-rant because it turns out I really needed the practice at changing a tube and it got me home before going flat.
  • veronese68
    Now should I pop out for a roll in the RAB Paralympics GB jersey they gave me for being one of their highest fundraisers?
    Of course you should wear it. You've earned it by virtue of the fundraising.
    Well done
  • Kieran_Burns
    Soreen Malt loaf with choc chips...

I think I may have found the perfect cycling food.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124

WANT!
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158

I prefer the Banana one which is also good cycling food.

P.s I commute through Kegworth to East Leake, which way do you go?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Turn right after the bridge in Kegworth, past the Sutton Bonington cross roads, left at the pub, through West Leake (bridge now sorted), past the Crematorium with the suspiciously successful allotment next door, turn left at the Church in East Leake, left at the shops, past British Gypsum and the railway stop, right on to Bunny Road.

Either on the black and white Felt or blue and white Madone
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daveski12
    Just wondering if the Tuesday morning group you mention is Beeston CC lot? If it is I might've been with them.

I'll look out for you now though. I commute from Sawley to British Gypsum on a white and red Trek
  • Kieran_Burns
    I think it is. There's one guy in that group that NEEDS to buy some bib shorts. :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daveski12
    Trying to think who that could be (and hoping its not me, I normally wear bib shorts)

Those commute rides have been great for my average commuting speed, always pushes me to put more effort in than when I'm on my own. The guys are a good laugh to talk to too.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Assos bibs. What a difference.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Turn right after the bridge in Kegworth, past the Sutton Bonington cross roads, left at the pub, through West Leake (bridge now sorted), past the Crematorium with the suspiciously successful allotment next door, turn left at the Church in East Leake, left at the shops, past British Gypsum and the railway stop, right on to Bunny Road.

Cheers for that - that's half a custard cream all over my desk now. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    CiB wrote:

Cheers for that - that's half a custard cream all over my desk now. :lol:

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that... it is a very strange place for an allotment / crem combo though!

Pan left: http://goo.gl/maps/8vqLa
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have a weekend pass; tomorrow, we ride!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Suffered the ignomy of three punctures on the way to work yesterday. Outstripping my supply of inner tubes. A motorist stopped and offered me a lift. I declined as I'd already jacked up a lift but it was a good moment.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Wife N+1'ed today with a specialized dolce sport. She now has 3 bikes and I only have 2! This is in anti rants though as the silly grin on her face and the way she kept staring at it over in the corner was great. She has now gone out for a lap of RP. :)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.