Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Asprilla wrote:
    If you google 'crap cycling in Kingston' that top result is about one of our dear forumites.

Made me smile.
    :shock:
    Waltham Forest?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Waltham Forest?

Otherwise known as "Awesomestow"
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    great ride this morning, don't know why.... not many cyclists around and traffic was light. green lights all the way down the Embankment after PS ...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097
    Just stumbled across this

How can a woman riding a bike in full Edwardian dress, and swinging a sabre not bring a smile to your face?

122.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Joe Root.

(cue wicket)
    Why didn't I just keep quiet?

I can barely bring myself to type the words....Ravi Bopara!

Mind you, they're only just par with 293.

At least he hadn't given interviews about coping with the bowling:
    pg-68-butler-getty.jpg

It was not a good toss to lose! I think it was always going to be easier to chase on the Oval track; had AC won the toss, England would be in the semis as no-one was likely to be taking wickets on a flat pitch with no swing.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Approaching P'Sq along Milbank this morning at about 8:40, just before HoP I - and all other road users - got caught behind some horses. But not just a couple of police horses: a huge "parade" of military horses. (Which explains all the horse poo in the stretch in front of Tate.) A column of horses with riders in military uniform each leading two un-saddled horses, one on either side. There must have been >50 horses. I and a few others on bikes and scooters got alongside them at the lights and around PSq, and it was a beautiful sight. All horses the same lovely deep brown colour.

Edit: can this be a coincidence? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06 ... _hp_ref=uk

Love this quote:
    By contrast the Army is said to have around 200 tanks - although each one is probably more effective in combat than a horse.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Motley13
    Motley13 Posts: 89
    wandsworth wrote:
    Approaching P'Sq along Milbank this morning at about 8:40, just before HoP I - and all other road users - got caught behind some horses. But not just a couple of police horses: a huge "parade" of military horses. (Which explains all the horse poo in the stretch in front of Tate.) A column of horses with riders in military uniform each leading two un-saddled horses, one on either side. There must have been >50 horses. I and a few others on bikes and scooters got alongside them at the lights and around PSq, and it was a beautiful sight. All horses the same lovely deep brown colour.

Edit: can this be a coincidence? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06 ... _hp_ref=uk

Love this quote:
    By contrast the Army is said to have around 200 tanks - although each one is probably more effective in combat than a horse.

I was up London for a day out with my girlfriend and as we walked out of Victoria there was a huge long line of horses just as you described being taken past, causing lots of fun for other road uses as they go but it was an amazing sight and sound. Wonder if it was the same lot being moved about
  • DrLex
    Just rode past what must have been the majority of a sizeable JOG-LE organised ride - kudos to the chap with the flat bar and the couple on the tandem - good luck for the remainder of the ride!
    To the chap in the Rapha top & LMNH shorts, sorry that I told you the pack was 1/2 hour ahead. Guess you must have had a mechanical.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Motley13 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

Love this quote:

I was up London for a day out with my girlfriend and as we walked out of Victoria there was a huge long line of horses just as you described being taken past, causing lots of fun for other road uses as they go but it was an amazing sight and sound. Wonder if it was the same lot being moved about

It's Trooping of the Colour today; they will have been getting sorted for that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Thought to myself "Why is there such a racket outside; sounds like a plane is flying ten metres above my roof".

So I looked outside and I saw several trails of smoke disappearing over the adjacent block of flats - the Red Arrows! Didn't catch the planes themselves, just the smoke :(
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Just learned, my niece has passed her course she was doing to get into Sandhurst. ( four or five weeks of mental and physical brutality.....apparently)
    She is now an instructor and promoted to Staff Sergeant (think that's the right rank :) )
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    9 days, 990.4 miles, 55383 feet and 41276 calories

Rode across Britain.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Rode across Britain.

Hat! Sombrero! Chapeau!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cyclingprop
    Asprilla wrote:

Rode across Britain.

Hat! Sombrero! Chapeau!

Ta :). Was also briefly top of the fizik strava challenge but Kelly Sotherton is there now I think. Surreal not to be on the bike today!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Asprilla wrote:

Rode across Britain.

Hat! Sombrero! Chapeau!

Ta :). Was also briefly top of the fizik strava challenge but Kelly Sotherton is there now I think. Surreal not to be on the bike today!

Nice one CP, you take that break.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cyclingprop
    rubertoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Rode across Britain.

Hat! Sombrero! Chapeau!

Nice one CP, you take that break.

Grin. 14.1 mph avg speed - happy with that. Got to get working on my 3 lap challenge now!

It might be a challenge to keep that 11th on the SCStats page though. Day or two to heal up. Back on bike weds I think. Cheers chaps.
  • DrLex

Rode across Britain.

Well done! If that was the Deloitte's ride, I passed you all* on Saturday morning around Montecute.

(*going the other way on my pub bike, rather than overtaking)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Blimey O'reilly. Well done Mr Prop. I doubt I'd be able to sit down for a month if I tried that.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rubertoe wrote:
    Chain-reaction.

I have a seized freehub from a set of wheels I bought from them in november (probably down to lazy maintenence on my behalf), So I dropped CRC an e-mail, they will send me a new freehub within the next 24 hours.

Well done them.

They didnt just send me a free-hub, they sent me the whole hub. And I think I have worked out that the original free-hub is going to be fine, its just mucky and needs a really good service!

Anyone want to by a rear XT hub? :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504

Rode across Britain.
    Well done, no wonder I didn't see you around!
  • cyclingprop
    DrLex wrote:

Rode across Britain.

Well done! If that was the Deloitte's ride, I passed you all* on Saturday morning around Montecute.

(*going the other way on my pub bike, rather than overtaking)

Yup that was it. All 700 of us.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Off to see an AVRO Vulcan at the weekend at Weston Air Day on Saturday. Could be one of the last times it will be seen flying.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Met up with the Tuesday morning peloton today... I was putting in a set amount of effort, this lot came past and the same amount of effort had me sat at the back of the bunch (honest I was NOT wheel sucking!)

You can clearly see the reduction in mile times on Endomondo when we meet up. There's no way I could lead this lot, the guy at front is HUGE and just basically pushes air aside for everyone behind.

I did make the effort to come alongside when I was turning right to say thanks and I'm quite pleased to say there wasn't a massive reduction in speed after I peeled off.

Oh, and:

Distance 12.23 mi
    Duration 40m:00s :D
    Avg. Speed 18.3 mph
    Max. Speed 26.9 mph
    Calories 993 kcal
    Hydration 0.30L
    Min. Altitude 263 ft
    Max. Altitude 376 ft
    Total Ascent 136 ft
    Total Descent 177 ft

I've done quicker but that was a headwind this morning.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    redvee wrote:
    Off to see an AVRO Vulcan at the weekend at Weston Air Day on Saturday. Could be one of the last times it will be seen flying.

They are trying to have it flying up to 2015, hopefully they achieve this as it is the most awesome sight when it is flying. Some good footage on youtube.

It is run on charitable donations so if any of you have a few quid spare, lob it in their direction.

I'm not involved with it, i just enjoy seeing it.............but i'm not a spotter........Honest! :roll:
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    bg13 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

They are trying to have it flying up to 2015, hopefully they achieve this as it is the most awesome sight when it is flying. Some good footage on youtube.

It is run on charitable donations so if any of you have a few quid spare, lob it in their direction.

I'm not involved with it, i just enjoy seeing it.............but i'm not a spotter........Honest! :roll:

Would have loved to have been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWO5zVPz4g
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    bg13 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Riding down on my bike so will have the helmetcam on board but the weather doesn't sound too promising.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    beautiful afternoon's cycling around Brasted, Toys Hill, Cudham. All traffic, WVM, horse lorries, artics towing flat beds, cars ...... everyone passed giving me plenty of room or waited until safe to park.

waves to and from all and sundry.

Kent was beautiful

came back with a big smile.
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713

Rode across Britain.
    Well done old sausage - told you you'd enjoy it. Chapeau!
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Blacktemplar
    Graham. wrote:
    bg13 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Would have loved to have been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWO5zVPz4g
    I've seen the Vulcan (and Victor) fly a few times in the late 70's & early 80's at Leuchars & Farnborough - awesome sight, and in the days before hi-viz clipboards these guys were doing low-level passes along the runway with the bomb bays open. Utterly spine-tingling (getting goose-bumps as I write this) Same goes for the German air display team that flew F104s straight at each in front of the crowd, and the F15 'Streak Eagle' that had just set the climb-to-altitude record - pilot stood it on its tail at about 250 feet and lit the afterburners. Wow; never seen anything accelerate that fast, with so much noise - he went supersonic in a vertical climb. Them was the days......
    Mark Twain
  • Blacktemplar
    Puttering home yesterday evening on tired legs, I heard the 'swoosh' of carbon wheels behind me, and was passed by a trio of thin, tanned men on VERY expensive TT bikes, clad in Team Sky kit. As is my wont, I nailed the pedal to the metal in hot pursuit, but hampered by a 14kg hybrid bike, 276kg of pannier-crap, and a complete lack of talent, the gap was un-closeable. All I managed to do was come close to bursting several blood vessels, and end up frothing at the mouth, sweat bursting from every pore as they disappeared into the distance - no doubt chatting happily, unaware of the shambolic wreck slowly expiring in their effortless wake....

It will be fun hovering around the courses of the TT and Road Race Nationals this week, in the hope of tagging along with some of the stars doing a recce to see where all the potholes are.....

EDIT: Having now looked at the entry list for tomorrow's TT, I suspect the trio in question were Ian Stannard, Luke Rowe and Ben Swift :D
    Mark Twain