Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    A day of firsts today.

First ride of 30 miles in over a year (though only 30 miles cause I did a loop round the square in front of the house so I didn't finish at 29.9 :roll: ).

First time I had someone draft me. He caught up to me at the lights and just sat on my wheel for the 100 yards or so till we went separate roads. Bit of a rant there as well as he didn't even acknowledge me when we parted never mind a thanks.

And my first time filtering past a queue of cars as the traffic was unusually bad.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm not sure 100 yards of drafting deserves a thanks TBH.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    So I wanted to do a century ride today after doing my first and only century ride last summer, so I routed one up yesterday. By the time I'd routed it it was actually 110 miles. By the time I got lost a bit I was up to ~115 miles. By that point I thought I might as well round it up to 125 miles to get it over 200km.

http://app.strava.com/activities/59006264

Beer o'clock :D

EDIT: May or may not have been hallucinating, but I swear I saw hundreds of naked cyclists at the 120 mile point on Embankment...
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • suzyb
    I'm not sure 100 yards of drafting deserves a thanks TBH.
    It wasn't the lack of a thanks, it was the lack of any kind of acknowledgement I was even there after he'd sat in my wheel. To be honest it made me wonder if he'd been a bit pissed off at being "stuck" behind me. But there was no reason he couldn't pass if he'd wanted to.

I guess I'm just not used to not receiving at least an imperceptible nod of recognition and after him having sat behind me, albeit for only 100 yards it made me little sad :(
  • clarkey cat
    get up in his grill next time you see him
  • clarkey cat
    Here's my anti-rant.

June+2013+213.JPG
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Here's my anti-rant.

June+2013+213.JPG

Are you the one on the balance bike? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    This time last night I was 1 mile into a 70 mile ride to Cardiff, eight of us agreed to do the ride and as a group only three punctures.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Cycling is bloody great. Why didn't I do this sooner?

1) New bike is great. Light, fast and comfortable.

2) Surrey is stunning. 50km round it's back lanes today not far from where I grew up and I am not sure how I missed all of this for so long!

3) Hills. I am finally seeing some improvement. Some real corkers today, including sections claiming to be in the high teens but no walking. A couple of the real lung busters needed a pause to collect myself but the views and the descending more than made up for it!

And I also noticed that now I am on a road bike I am deserving of little nods and waves from other roadies. Didn't happen on the hybrid!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • clarkey cat
    Ah yes - you only nod to other roadies. To nod to a hybrid rider may give the impression that riding a hybrid is somehow acceptable and should therefore be avoided.

You're not far from Kingston Wheelers if you wanted to get into riding for a club, menthel. The 'easy' group is well within the capabilities of most cyclists and they are a friendly bunch.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    menthel wrote:
    Cycling is bloody great. Why didn't I do this sooner?

1) New bike is great. Light, fast and comfortable.

2) Surrey is stunning. 50km round it's back lanes today not far from where I grew up and I am not sure how I missed all of this for so long!

3) Hills. I am finally seeing some improvement. Some real corkers today, including sections claiming to be in the high teens but no walking. A couple of the real lung busters needed a pause to collect myself but the views and the descending more than made up for it!

And I also noticed that now I am on a road bike I am deserving of little nods and waves from other roadies. Didn't happen on the hybrid!

6C8D118B-E22D-4D38-8E36-8580B8AE16AA-3818-00000470F753EC3C_zps59297a47.jpg

Speaking of KW, I'm sure my membership was up for renewal in April, but no reminder from them.

Ah well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    I didn't renew either - I couldn't really afford the extra time it took to ride back into Surbiton, wait for a ride to set off, and then ride back past my house! Shame as I enjoyed the rides I did go out on.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Thanks guys. Looks like the hills were not as bad as thought, lots of low teens inclines, up to 13.9%- still more than I have done before! I don't think club riding is for me as yet- only really got back on a bike in Feb and still enjoying the novelty of it. I have some friends to cycle with but I really love having the time to myself as well. Not something I get with a busy family life! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • asprilla
    I didn't renew either - I couldn't really afford the extra time it took to ride back into Surbiton, wait for a ride to set off, and then ride back past my house! Shame as I enjoyed the rides I did go out on.

My issue too. If they went out at 8 and didn't stop for 50 minutes for coffee I'd probably have gone more.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Had a lovely day yesturday did a loop on the MTB around rottingdeen, lovely to see the downs again and the child in me loved the roar from tyres at 30mph plus as I came down the hill.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    suzyb wrote:

I guess I'm just not used to not receiving at least an imperceptible nod of recognition and after him having sat behind me, albeit for only 100 yards it made me little sad :(

maybe he was just enjoying the view from behind you?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • suzyb
    mudcow007 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

maybe he was just enjoying the view from behind you?
    Must've been a Queen fan then :p
    b3r9tu.jpg
  • suzyb wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    b3r9tu.jpg

Were your tires "under pressure", were you giving him a "Flash", was he going "slightly mad", or concerned that his progress might be halted at that particular point?

I'm too much of a gentleman to think of any other reason
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Either Stone Cold Crazy, or Love Of My Life. I know where my money is. :)

xx
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Took the youngest two to the Derwent Valley reservoirs yesterday.

Eleven miles in total, at a gentle pace

There they are vanishing round the corner:
    9001077692_32fa130fbd.jpg

9000896192_e7d51c978b.jpg

8999702059_601a273cbf.jpg

Stunning day, and at the visitor centre we bumped into a colleague who'd come over the snake pass and went back to Manchester via Edale and Mam Nick.
  • redvee
    suzyb wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    b3r9tu.jpg

Were your tires "under pressure", were you giving him a "Flash", was he going "slightly mad", or concerned that his progress might be halted at that particular point?

I'm too much of a gentleman to think of any other reason

I'm sure there's an Innuendo in there somewhere :lol:
  • suzyb
    Flubit order has been dispatched...finally. Matching bottle cage here you come :D
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    Picked up my first roadie tonight, bought second hand from guy at work. Rode home all ok and, man, it feels quick compared to my Sirrus!

Will give it a good going over at weekend and get it ready for commuting next week.

It's a 2011 Specialized allez elite. Woo.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • redvee
    Popped into Evans and asked them to keep something back for 24 hours for me and the manager knew my name without me telling him, either that's good customer service or I spend too much in Evans.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Chain-reaction.

I have a seized freehub from a set of wheels I bought from them in november (probably down to lazy maintenence on my behalf), So I dropped CRC an e-mail, they will send me a new freehub within the next 24 hours.

Well done them.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Joe Root.

(cue wicket)
  • Joe Root.

(cue wicket)
    Why didn't I just keep quiet?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Joe Root.

(cue wicket)
    Why didn't I just keep quiet?

I can barely bring myself to type the words....Ravi Bopara!

Mind you, they're only just par with 293.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • redvee
    Another 30 minute commute tonight, usually 33-35 mins. Faster on the way home with more spikey bits than on the way to work with no spikey bits.
  • asprilla
    If you google 'crap cycling in Kingston' that top result is about one of our dear forumites.

Made me smile.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3