Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    [I got knocked off the bike last Wednesday and broke my ribs. However the upside is that I get to sit in the sun at Beachy Head with a beer!
    Ouch, that's a pain. I've done that three times now, some worse than others. The worst one I'd completely snapped 3 ribs, then I wound up in hopital with something with a big name. I'd damaged a lung sneezing and it filled up with blood so I couldn't breathe. Don't sneeze, but make sure you breathe deeply enough that you don't get fluid on the lungs. You will need a lot of pain killers, not just the lovely one in the picture.
    Haven't you just got over a broken finger? Particularly bad luck if that was you.
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    [I got knocked off the bike last Wednesday and broke my ribs. However the upside is that I get to sit in the sun at Beachy Head with a beer!
    Ouch, that's a pain. I've done that three times now, some worse than others.
    What, sat in the sun at Beachy Head with a beer? :)
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • veronese68
    drays wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Ouch, that's a pain. I've done that three times now, some worse than others.
    What, sat in the sun at Beachy Head with a beer? :)
    Haha, oops, I should have been clearer. I think I've only had a beer at Beachy Head once, although I have had beer in the sun many times.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Keeping half an eye on a backup of a huge disk array using Richcopy (GUI not command line) and noticed that it's slowing down gradually and its memory usage is climbing to some extraordinary amounts. A bit of a ponder and suddenly it's clear - each copy action is logged in the GUI's lower pane. After a few gig of copying that's a huge amount to list, and you really do have to ask [all together now] How much is that logging in the window?

Aye thenk yew. :wink:
  • CiB wrote:
    How much is that logging in the window?

The one with the RAID logging trail?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:

Boom tish. Good one - I'll pass it off as my own later on.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    CiB wrote:

... I do hope that job doesn't fail.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Hernia fixed. Wife bringing me sweets in bed. Looking forward to getting back out there. Happy days.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Haven't you just got over a broken finger? Particularly bad luck if that was you.

Yeah, that was me... I'd only just started to get back to fitness and this happens! :x

Never mind, I should be back on the bike next week. The driver eventually admitted responsibility and it's all on helmet cam. Who knows... Maybe the money my soliciters get might finance a secondhand n+1? :wink:
  • Mr Sworld
    Hernia fixed. Wife bringing me sweets in bed. Looking forward to getting back out there. Happy days.

She'll be able to bring you something else in bed too!

Fnar, fnar...
  • veronese68
    It was my birthday, I cannot deny that I am now firmly in my mid forties. But the pub 6 doors away from me has a beer festival on and after a manic day and early evening I had a fine old time tasting stuff in good company. I may be ranting about hangovers in the morning, scalp for sale cheap.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Happy Birthday Veronese.

45 it is!

Anti - Rant = Raceblades are great for days like today.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    rubertoe wrote:
    Happy Birthday Veronese.

[...]

Ditto on the celebrations - hope riders behind you don't suffer the post-beerage symptoms.
    rubertoe wrote:
    [...]Anti - Rant = Raceblades are great for days like today.

Shirley a reason for N+1 - Spring/Autumn steed?
    On that topic, anyone got an Ibis Hakkalugi of which they want to share their experiences?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DrLex wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    [...]Anti - Rant = Raceblades are great for days like today.

Shirley a reason for N+1 - Spring/Autumn steed?

The Peugeot is destined to be the commuting workhorse, its awaiting some parts. :wink:

an N+1 is on the cards as well though.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Happy hangover Veronese! (and happy birthday too).
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    Thank you all. Can't rant about having a hangover, it hasn't really kickied in yet. Autopilot is the order of the day, it could be a long one.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Never seen so many cyclists in one commute. Last night I must've seen at least a dozen when cycling home. I even had a few going my way for a change.

Hilariously, the only sub-3 minute mile was when I overtook two lady roadies on the A60 into the headwind. Well, you have to make the effort :)

For the the London lot: this is not sarcasm, it really is a very different world when you commute in the countryside.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Happy birthday Veronese.

A lovely ride in. Other cyclists behaved themselves also.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    RP last night was just lovely although the headwind in bits could have buggered off but otherwise a lovely mini training session. Deer were all behaving themselves, cars too and lots of cyclists and in lovely sun too.

Looking forward to summer opening hours... Do we have a summer social organised yet? (lots to catch up on)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My life would be much more stressful without google maps/satellite view/street view.

I dislike going new places when I don't know where I'm going, especially in the city where there are motorists who often don't take kindly to "tourists". A check of google maps and it's satellite view and I can find out exactly where I need to go all the way to the car park.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    20130425_130934_zps5aafb559.jpg

I got knocked off the bike last Wednesday and broke my ribs. However the upside is that I get to sit in the sun at Beachy Head with a beer! ^_^

Bad luck on the broken ribs.

Is that beer Harveys?
  • Mr Sworld
    jimmypippa wrote:

Is that beer Harveys?

It is... :shock:
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Is that beer Harveys?

Now Mr jimmypippa has got what I call a high res. monitor :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Managed to be the first of the shift to leave work tonight despite being on a bike and the majority of colleagues driving cars. Clocked out at 22:00 like everybody else but had the bike ready to go so just had to don my helmet and pedal off into the moonlight.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jimmypippa
    Wunnunda wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Is that beer Harveys?

Now Mr jimmypippa has got what I call a high res. monitor :lol:

I might live in in the Peak District - where there are *now* some decent beers, but I grew up in the Weald...

Ashdown Forest isn't quite the same as the Pennines for walking or access to Snowdonia/The Lakes though.
  • jimmypippa
    I went for another ride on my Croix de Fer yesterday afternoon. A mixture of quiet country lanes, a small stretch of road "not suitable for motors" from Whaley Bridge to Kettleshume - all which would have been fine for a road bike(steep descent with cobbles) and then up past Windgather Rocks to the Goyt Valley and the top of Long Hill (again quiet country lanes - I could hear the grouse).

I then went along the old Roman road by the Whitehall Centre (Called "Old Road") which was pretty muddy and ideally suited to CX tyresand disk brakes (a fair bit of mud and broken road surface) then down into Combes.

30km - and a route that would have been annoying on an MTB (a lot on good tarmac) and some that would have needed carrying for a road bike.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I should've posted this on Friday really but had a great ride home - looped North through Nottingham to try out a new route home for my mate.

It turned out to be 2 miles shorter for me than the river route and through quiet suburban roads rather than the stupidly busy A6005 which has roadworks, traffic lights, single lanes (and possibly lions and tigers and bears...) It turned out to be cycle route 6.

We struggled with that horrible NW wind until we split up in Long Eaton and I got a massive tailwind, so was able to flick up 3 gears and go flying along... for a short while. I even managed to stop a roadie scalping me by digging VERY deep when I swung back INTO the wind. Then a final stretch of tailwind which I couldn't take full advantage of as I was running dehydrated and managed to blow up with cramp 1 mile from home.

All in all an adventuresome ride!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092
    edited April 2013
    Finally got round to getting the Hamax fitted and taking littl'un no.1 for a quick spin around the village. Almost ended up in the rants thread when I first fitted it to the Giant, which with it's narrow bars, whippy steel frame and twitchy handling was nigh on unrideable when loaded up. Swapped to my brother's Marin Mill Valley, and the flat bars, and stiffer frame meant we were in business (after sorting out a Slime-clogged valve on the rear wheel). Littl'un needed to wrap up more, and I was somewhat nervous with a passenger, but I'm sure that'll ease with practice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Just received authority to photograph Bill Bailey on Tuesday. :D