Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Completed my first ever imperial century last week, in southern France in perfect conditions :D
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Fettled the good bike at the weekend (well, I cleaned it really well and turned a barrel adjuster one complete rotation).
    Checked the weather forecast last night, so I was up early to the correctly-predicted beautiful sunshine. A bit of a noodle round the house and some quick breakfast, thinking about taking the long route in at 07h30 when FWING, an email appears on my phone...
    Damnit. It's a customer we really like, and their system (which we manage) has broken (again). Cue 90 mins of banging my head against an incredibly irritating problem. Damnit. Oh well, still going to ride to work. Beautiful sunshine, remember?

Coming up to a set of roadworks (red light), and I can hear a properly big truck behind me. Shoulder checking reveals he's not going for the pointless overtake to sit 400 yards on in the queuing traffic, so he gets a thumbs-up behind my back.
    We wait at the traffic lights, and I see he's got a big truck, but an empty flat-bed trailer. He's going to be quicker off the mark than I am, so as the lights change I look up at the driver, and wave him on ahead of me. He returns the thumbs-up, and pulls out giving me loads of room. We go through the lights, and I catch a slight tow off his trailer.

Balance restored. Cooperation on the roads. Supoib :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The bike racks are starting to fill up in work now we are at near full staffing levels. When I got in yesterday there were only 8 empty racks out of 32, these were all single occupied.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Riding home the other day. Usual hoody scrote on a BSO MTB hurtles out from a side turning without looking at anything but stays on the pavement. Just as I draw level, thinking he's sticking to the pavement, he drops off onto the road right infront of me causing me a bit of a wobble. I carry on, making Muttley noises to myself, until the next set of lights which turn red as I approach. A few moments later, scrote draws alongside of me and apologises profusely for cutting infront of me and we have a brief and friendly cyclists chat before the lights change. Somehow slightly bizarre but refreshing. Just goes to show what looks like a scrote isn't necessarily a scrote!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    . Somehow slightly bizarre but refreshing. Just goes to show what looks like a scrote isn't necessarily a scrote!
    Rolf F wrote:
    hurtles out from a side turning without looking at anything but stays on the pavement.

Doesn't make sense to me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rolf_f
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    . Somehow slightly bizarre but refreshing. Just goes to show what looks like a scrote isn't necessarily a scrote!
    Rolf F wrote:
    hurtles out from a side turning without looking at anything but stays on the pavement.

How not? He's come out of a side turning but rather than go onto the road he's taken to the pavement but only for a few yards before dropping on to the road. What threw me was why he didn't just join the road but there was a lamp post on the pavement that might have encouraged the move - but he was already passing it before he veered right. I was ready for him to hit the road before he reached the lamp post but as he passed it I assumed he was sticking to where he was.
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

How not? He's come out of a side turning but rather than go onto the road he's taken to the pavement but only for a few yards before dropping on to the road. What threw me was why he didn't just join the road but there was a lamp post on the pavement that might have encouraged the move - but he was already passing it before he veered right. I was ready for him to hit the road before he reached the lamp post but as he passed it I assumed he was sticking to where he was.

I meant that he was riding on the pavement, therefore he's a scrote. Unless it was a cyclepath / shared usage.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Got my first knitting class tonight so v excited. Yes, I know, I'm turning into an old lady.

Buffs and hats for all for Xmas :idea: :lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:
    Got my first knitting class tonight so v excited. Yes, I know, I'm turning into an old lady.

Purl Izumi?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:

Purl Izumi?

Very good!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    msmancunia wrote:

You could make something really tasteful like these:
    AAAADJV5o_MAAAAAAFWBLg.jpg?v=1245445364000
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Rolf F wrote:
    Just goes to show what looks like a scrote isn't necessarily a scrote!

Did you check your wallet though?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Lol you're spending waaaay too much time with Kieran Burns.

And I dread to think what you put into google for that picture. (What are they by the way?)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:

And I dread to think what you put into google for that picture. (What are they by the way?)

Hoi! don't bloody drag me into the perversion!

I told a funny - he got all weird and woolly
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Too small, I'd say.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    msmancunia wrote:
    Googled "wool willy warmer". I work in the motor trade, not much is NSFW round these parts. We're about 30-40 years behind the real world in many respects. I don't think I'd survive in the real world.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think "Merkins" would probably be easier...

Anti - rant: Its bloody lovely out there and being sensible I packed a short sleeve jersey! Yeah me.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Having a lovely day. 3 laps of Richmond Park in the Sun on the best bike this morning, & bumped into a mate. Home for coffee, poached eggs & salmon. Now sitting on my terrace in the sun writing a presentation. New Phoenix album on the stereo, newborn gurgling happily in the background, wife catching up on some sleep. Mum and Sister popping over with lunch soon.

WFH tomorrow as well. All slightly tempered by the knowledge that the boss is back on Thursday...
  • rolf_f
    Asprilla wrote:
    I meant that he was riding on the pavement, therefore he's a scrote. Unless it was a cyclepath / shared usage.

Oh I see. Well, that's sort of what I assumed but he was properly apologetic and really nice about it. Maybe just ignorant about how to use a bike. FWIW, it was a stretch of lightly used industrial road with pedestrians pretty rare and clear visibility. But it wasn't shared use and the road is straight without parked cars. I guess nobody actually teaches young folk how to ride on the roads these days.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    New Phoenix album on the stereo,

I was a bit 'meh' about it over the first couple of listens. Will give it a few more spins to see if it's a grower.

Beautiful day out there...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Been living here for a year, went walking on Sunday and found this is just around the corner.

http://www.ibikeride.com/mountain-bike- ... ew/id:372/

Unfortunately, I now need a dirt bike :S
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • asprilla
    I rode a bicycle today. It's been a while and it was brilliant.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12573143&start=7940#p18278523

Fortunately I have generous work colleagues who always have food stashed in the fridge. So I managed to scrounge up a couple of oatcakes and pate from them, nab the meeting left overs before they were binned and grab some crisps and cookies before they were taken into the meeting room.

I am no longer hungry and therefore in a much better mood :)
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    2nd ride after 4 months off the bike and scored another stunning day yesterday and to top it off managed 17mph av over 30 miles with 2000ft ascent which means my fitness hasn't totally deserted me :-)
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Shifted 2" from chest and stomach so far this year.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • redvee
    Todays commute was a pootle down the riverside path, the only downside were the pair of walkers who chose to ignore the repeated blasts from the Hornit.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    37 years old and only just discovered the joys of listening to AC/DC.
  • redvee
    One of the Polish girls in work yesterday was wearing a thin white top and working in the chill section with a temperature of 2°c :) and no I didn't get any pictures :cry:
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    20130425_130934_zps5aafb559.jpg

I got knocked off the bike last Wednesday and broke my ribs. However the upside is that I get to sit in the sun at Beachy Head with a beer! ^_^
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    Got beeped at half a mile from my house by a middle aged woman who was driving behind me. She saw a cyclist and thought cyclist = slow = MUST. OVERTAKE. I was passing parked cars with a car waiting to pull out of a junction on the right so she couldn't and had to wait. She beeped at me as she went passed as I turned left.

However, it's a nice day, and I hadn't done anything wrong (your honour) so I didn't mind!

8) :D
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB