Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    msmancunia wrote:
    Got my first taster session on the track at the velodrome on Wednesday.

Will I fall off? Will I be able to stop? Will I go sliding down the banking? Will I ever get off the Cote d'Azur?

For the answer to these questions and many more, tune in to rants OR anti-rants (depending on how I get on!) on Wednesday lunchtime....
    If you don't manage it we'll point and laugh. My then 10-y-o son and similar aged nephew were both up on the top of the banking after a handful of laps when we went a couple of years ago. :wink:

Can't help with the Cote d'Azur though.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Lovely ride home today. Extended the commute a few extra miles and the wind had died down so it was a blast. Best thing was it was short weather!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can anybody tell me what that yellow orb in the sky was today? Warm even at 22:00 when I came home tonight.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I survived my first track session! My legs hurt but I didn't fall off and it was brill.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • redvee
    msmancunia wrote:
    I survived my first track session! My legs hurt but I didn't fall off and it was brill.

My advice of riding clockwise helped then :lol:
  • msmancunia
    redvee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

My advice of riding clockwise helped then :lol:

I did think about that, but then thought maybe best to just follow the leader :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    You could have ridden the other way, but you'd need a lance for a spot of bicycle jousting. Oh, and they might not let you back.
    Probably best not to then. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • redvee
    CRC using jiffy bags, was expecting a big box.

imag0196zs.jpg
  • msmancunia
    UCI BMX supercross this weekend so have been watching the practice at lunchtime. The place is full of kids in SHOUTY trousers doing wheelies across the car park :lol:

UCIBMXsupercross20131.jpg
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    redvee wrote:
    The only advice you'll need: Remember to ride clockwise :lol:

Do the clocks in Bristol go the other way, or was that a joke?
  • redvee
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    The only advice you'll need: Remember to ride clockwise :lol:

Do the clocks in Bristol go the other way, or was that a joke?

Not the other way but we do have our own time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exchan ... stol#Clock
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    My thanks to the Transit van driver northbound on Wandsworth bridge who slowed down and let me cross over to the right lane to turn right at the lights. Wish that there more like you. Cheers if you are reading this.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Where were all the cars this morning? No snaking traffic through south wimbledon and colliers wood- a straight run up to the lights at Toots broadway. Superb!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Shure earphones :)

I bought some SE110's a couple of years ago for a bargain £17 rather than the usual £50 in what must've been a stock clearout from Play.com.
    2 years on and they're well used and one of the ears started cutting out a bit when the cord moved. Phoned customer service as they're within warranty. Popped in the post. Brand new pair of SE215's that are going for £60 everywhere show up today. No questions, no faffing, just really good customer service.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • menthel
    dhope wrote:
    Shure earphones :)

I bought some SE110's a couple of years ago for a bargain £17 rather than the usual £50 in what must've been a stock clearout from Play.com.
    2 years on and they're well used and one of the ears started cutting out a bit when the cord moved. Phoned customer service as they're within warranty. Popped in the post. Brand new pair of SE215's that are going for £60 everywhere show up today. No questions, no faffing, just really good customer service.

Shure did the same for me, twice. Replaced the originals after a year and then another year on replaced the replacements with 215's. Good company if you ask me!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Just had my rear hub / bearings serviced by these guys in the office garage where I leave my bike..

http://www.nipnip.co.uk

£27 for hub service / bearing replacement and a series of other small things (gear indexing, brake adjustment, chain link replacement etc). Friendly, knowledgeable gents, quick and very convenient service and they can be booked to come out when and where you like (in London I guess).

I'll let you know if my rear wheel falls apart on the way home :shock: but that notwithstanding seems like a really good idea that deserves a bit of free publicity.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Birleys chicken parmagiana, toasted. *food coma*
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • veronese68
    Had an appointment in Guildford at 11am to have my hand looked at for insurance purposes. Took the MTB down on the train and rode bback along the Wey navigation then the Thames. Had a bit of refreshment at Pyrford Lock.
    Pyrford.jpg
    Unfortunately I then had a phone call telling me that the delivery I had been told would be between 4 and 8pm was going to be with me in an hour. So I had to get home a bit quicker than intended and had to skip the second pint further along.
    Nice way to spend a Friday. Unfortunately I now have a wardrobe to assemble.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Swift Cycles are currently in talks with Starley to get me three quotes on a build of the JKS-R1 Works frameset.

1. Full DA9000
    2. Full DA7900
    3. DA7900 and Ultegra 6700 (DA bling and Ultegra cassette/chain)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cyclingprop
    Found out Dhope is part chameleon.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Went for a sneaky 20km after tea this evening.
    Lots of quiet roads

This is what I saw: (my son likes highland cattle)
    8665498459_104d570b23.jpg

They start early in Derbyshire
    8665500195_958eaa8113.jpg

And then went on the broken road round Mam Tor

8666599590_22b0f04f55.jpg
  • menthel
    That I have home made yoghurt, home grown rhubarb and some stem ginger for after my lunch today. Mmm.
    RIP commute...
  • msmancunia
    Conquered Cragg Vale (slowly!) on Saturday morning during a 44 mile ride.

Lots of classic cars going past on something called (I think) the Flying Scotsman run. Also saw a load of police looking for something sinister with sticks and shovels at the top of Ripponden Moor. Then nearly stacked it twice on the Blackstone Edge descent. Lovely day, but there's nothing left in my legs.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Childish delight I had yesterday while out on a killer loop (bloody headwind)

On the ONE bit where I wasn't being hammered by God's farts I was riding through a village when this teenage lad came flying out of a side road (about 200 yards in front) on a MTB. I have to admit, it made for a bizarre sight. He's wearing green wellies and is spinning for all he's worth. Head down and desperately trying to get WARP SPEED out of the MTB.

I'm on the Madone - he's doing about 15-16 and is biting the handlebars to get as aero as possible... he physically can't spin his blurring legs any more... I'm on the Madone.

So I shift up two gears and tighten the legs up - now north of 20, 25, 30mph and basically swish past him while checking my back pockets all casual like...

It was completely immature but I needed some light relief on that nightmare ride out :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    Vaguely related to KB's comment above. I was driving back from Cobham yesterday, beautiful day, loads of cyclists around. Along the Portsmouth Road around Hinchley Wood I saw a kid on an MTB going the other way, legs spinning like a dervish and he scalped a couple of roadies. I presume they took their scalps back a little later, but it did make me laugh.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    First proper ride out since I fractured my spine last August.

Been commuting again for the last few months (4.5 miles each way) but not much longer than that.
    40 miles in glorious sunshine and very little wind to be sitting on a quiet beach at 9am yesterday morning.
    Reminds how much I've really missed it. A few aches and pains still but felt good to be back in the saddle.
    Bring on the summer. :D
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Jaffa Cakes stop forcing me to eat you! (should this be a rant?)
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    bg13 wrote:
    Jaffa Cakes stop forcing me to eat you! (should this be a rant?)
    Yes and no. No when your eating them, yes that bit later when you discover the pound(s) they've added to your weight.
  • redvee
    Beat the VP on my Garmin tonight, usually do it on the way to work but rarely on the way home.
  • cyclingprop
    Numerous RP PRs last night.

Also, the post desk at work no longer ask my name because I'm there so often. I blame wiggle.